PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet - Liverpool Airport 15th May - Missed Approach

lcarus
20th May 2008, 14:30
Can anyone out there shed any light on this? Basically I was on the flight from AMS>LPL when we were about 200 ft from landing when the pilot turned skywards and declared a missed approach.

For someone who loves aviation (but is terrified of flying) this wasn't a fun experience. Especially as an EXTREMELY nervous flier in front of me totally lost it.

How common are these go arounds?

Thanks in advance!

anthonyw
20th May 2008, 15:18
I dont know the exact reason for your particular Go Around/Missed approach but i really wouldnt worry, Pilots are very well trained for this procedure and i'm sure most would admit its pretty much a non event :)

reasons that spring to mind are weather, unstable approach, spacing, Fod on the runway or maybe there was an indication in the cockpit.

they can be common especially if its poor weather eg gusts and windshear. :\

I'm sure someone will be along soon with more info & possibly an explanation to your particular go around if anything significant caused it.

Cheers!

Notso Fantastic
20th May 2008, 19:20
Go-arounds are common. By far the greatest causes are either bad weather below limits, the aircraft that just landed in front is slow clearing the runway, or the aeroplane is late being established on the correct approach and the pilot knows he has to go around or the flight recorder trace will show a violation of the limitations and he will be carpeted! Whatever, they are common, and frequent at busy airports like LHR. No risk whatsoever, and quite simple. As you love aviation, it gives you a free extra 15 minutes of what you love. The problem is?

lcarus
21st May 2008, 07:45
Thanks for your answers folks. It's great to get info from those in the know :)

Yeadon Dam
21st May 2008, 11:12
I was at LPL the other Saturday and saw an Easy 319 go-round. Couldn't see anything on the runway.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st May 2008, 18:22
Yeadon Dam... Then maybe there was another reason?? Maybe a runway inspection team had just advised ATC that there was a dangerous light fitting, or maybe the pilot received some warning, or maybe there was windshear, or maybe it was a training flight, or maybe ATC had seen a runway obstruction from the tower? There are dozens of possible reasons for go-arounds, many of which may not be apparent to members of the public.