PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an EADI/EHSI to replace 'steam' instruments...?

Lou DeCrosse
19th May 2008, 10:00
A request for help:

Is there anyone out there who has any experience/knowledge re fitting a basic EADI and EHSI to a PA23 (Aztec)?

I’m specifically interested in the design mods/certification required to replace the steam gauges with electronic displays.

If you don’t know, but know someone who does/might, then I would be most grateful for a pointer in their direction.

Many thanks in advance,

Lou

Nightrider
20th May 2008, 09:47
This will be a very costly procedure. First step will be to contact Piper and ask for any known available STC. If, and I doubt, there is an STC, next step will be to ask Piper for the costs involved in changing manuals for this particular aircraft.
Next step to follow is to contact the STC holder and enquire about the kit to be installed, costs, duration and, most important, acceptable workshops to accomplish the conversion.
If they have no particular electronic shop they work with, find one and be prepared that the STC holder will have to send a certifying engineer to be present during installation or, which is also a viable solution, to have a team from the STC holder to work in this e-shop and do the job.
The most important aspect for the local CAA is of course that you will ask them about the acceptancy of this STC and the costs involved.
Ahhh, I forgot, the local CAA will send you an invoice first before they will do anything....

The costs involved may easily accumulate to an amount which top the total value of the aircraft, think wisely before you invest into anything...

Good luck

nomorecatering
20th May 2008, 09:52
Look for a company called Aspen avionics. Have just what ur looking for.

www.aspenavionics.com

captjns
20th May 2008, 09:56
Call Jim Cook of Palm Beach Avionics

http://www.palmbeachavionics.com/

He does conversions on steam gage GA Aircraft. He may have contacts on your side of the pond.

Lou DeCrosse
20th May 2008, 10:01
Thank you very much indeed for the replies :)

I will look up the links and heed the advice.

If I had the choice I'd throw it off the edge and buy a new ac, if I had the choice..... :-(

Lou