PDA

View Full Version : Reds Moving to Waddington...

harrogate
19th May 2008, 16:16
Just been on Lincs FM radio as an 'exclusive'.

Sounds like the real deal. They did a full feature on it.

Official announcement on Wednesday.

http://www.lincsfm.co.uk/news.php?id=1065

Bertie Thruster
20th May 2008, 06:42
As noted on this forum, 25th January 2008:

Last week the "NAAFI Wagon Lady" (or rather the modern Waddo equivalent) told me the Reds were definitely coming to Waddington.

GalleyTeapot
20th May 2008, 06:46
Been known unofficially for absolutely ages

scottc
20th May 2008, 07:56
Anyone know whats going to happen to Scampton ?

The Real Slim Shady
20th May 2008, 08:01
The BBMF are going to be moved back, Nigger will be dug up and the DNA used to clone Nigger doggies who will then be bred and sold to enthusiasts as genuine BBMF souvenirs. The dosh will go towards keeping the RAF going for the next few years.

blue monday
20th May 2008, 08:16
The BBMF are going to be moved back, Nigger will be dug up and the DNA used to clone Nigger doggies who will then be bred and sold to enthusiasts as genuine BBMF souvenirs. The dosh will go towards keeping the RAF going for the next few years.

LoL, probably would happen if they could get away with that one.

Hope they don't close Scampton from a sentimental point of view.

Also i thought lots of tactical deployment assets were moving there.

harrogate
20th May 2008, 09:42
Been known unofficially for absolutely ages

Yeah, had wind of it myself a while ago so was 95% sure.

Strange how a few Scampton 'insiders' on various websites genuinely didn't know though.

Maybe they're not as inside as they thought they were. Better known as 'outside'.

Gainesy
20th May 2008, 10:03
Nigger will be dug up and the DNA used to clone Nigger doggies
Absolutely priceless.:ok::)

Cornerstone958
20th May 2008, 10:13
I see a problem here in this PC world we live in Nigger will have to undergo a name change.
Over to you PPruner's:rolleyes:

Roadster280
20th May 2008, 11:16
There's no need to change his name.

Let's consider the events of 16/17 May 1943

Dog killed in RTA.
Mission executed
1600 deaths on the ground
53 aircrew killed.

If the codeword for successful breach of the Moehne dam chaps anyone's ass, I suggest they take a reality check and find something worth getting upset over. Dereliction, closure and abandonment of RAF Scampton for example.

Dan Gerous
20th May 2008, 11:21
I see a problem here in this PC world we live in Nigger will have to undergo a name change.

It will also have to undergo "Gender Re-Assignment"

LFFC
20th May 2008, 11:22
I wonder what impact moving the Reds to Waddington would have? I suspect some clues may be found here:

Relocation of RAFAT to Scampton 9 May 2000 (http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmdfence/177/17758.htm)

The move of the RAFAT [to Scampton] will also improve flight operations at RAF Cranwell, where RAFAT fast jet activities currently coexist uneasily with student pilot basic training. This coexistence greatly increases the complexity of the flight management task both at the RAF Cranwell and, to a lesser extent, its satellite airfield at RAF Barkston Heath. There have been no incidents related to airspace congestion involving the RAFAT in the four years it has been based at RAF Cranwell, but there are nevertheless risks associated with the Team's presence there which will not be present at RAF Scampton

Good luck to you all at Waddington if it's true!

ZH875
20th May 2008, 11:30
When based at Cranwell, didn't the Reds still carry out their flying over Scampton airfield?, in which case, the only intrusion at Cranwell would be take off, landing and storage.

Where will they shoehorn the Reds into Waddington?, unless they get a new hangar, only 2 hangar may be suitable for them.

noregrets
20th May 2008, 11:46
Sorry Roadster, but regardless of what you (and I) might think, his name would have to be changed - the bottom line is that many people do find that word v offensive and so it would have to go. And no, I've no idea why it's ok for 'gangstas' to use it as a term of brotherhood, when they're in da hood wit their homeboys and their bee-atches and hoes.

Didn't I hear 'Tigger' floated as an alternative when they were going to re-make the movie?

AllTrimDoubt
20th May 2008, 13:19
When based at Cranwell, didn't the Reds still carry out their flying over Scampton airfield?, in which case, the only intrusion at Cranwell would be take off, landing and storage.

To answer the above - not true. Synchro used to practise and workup their routine o/h CWL providing much entertainment at times. Well remember adjusting cct heights/orbits to accommodate the 9 returning at other times!

And the effect of Dieso + dye on parked cars after a practice display t/o? Priceless!

blue monday
20th May 2008, 14:28
Sorry Roadster, but regardless of what you (and I) might think, his name would have to be changed - the bottom line is that many people do find that word v offensive and so it would have to go. And no, I've no idea why it's ok for 'gangstas' to use it as a term of brotherhood, when they're in da hood wit their homeboys and their bee-atches and hoes.

Didn't I hear 'Tigger' floated as an alternative when they were going to re-make the movie?

Its History, so why should they change the name for PC nonesense, Nigger was the code word for the dam being breached - Historical fact and it was the name of the Dog Historical fact regardsless of whether people take offence, many people in certain comunities take ofence to the name Hitler, but it is history and should not be ignored/changed

Green Flash
20th May 2008, 14:32
Must be getting abit crowded at Waddo what with 5 Sqn too.

Nimrod R1's to Kinloss, anyone?:E

Green Flash
20th May 2008, 15:00
Flog Barkston and move them to Scampton?

Vulcan 903
20th May 2008, 15:31
Great opportunity for the Vulcan now to use Waddington as well!

dilly
20th May 2008, 16:39
"Must be getting abit crowded at Waddo what with 5 Sqn too"

Maybe it would be if 5 Sqn had any ac to play with. :ooh:

Don't think anyone could claim that the E-3 boys are doing much at the mo either. :8

adminblunty
20th May 2008, 16:59
When the R1s get scrapped and they reduce the number of E3 Sqns and airframes, there will be plenty of space at Waddo...

exscribbler
20th May 2008, 17:41
If the Reds leave Scampton, what happens to Hawker Hunter Aviation? :(

Guzlin Adnams
20th May 2008, 19:09
Hanger 2 it will be.......
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the good folks up at Kirton.
A few miles south maybe?

ZH875
20th May 2008, 19:11
Kirton should be in a better state of repair than Scampton, so should cost less to keep going, unless they need use of an on-site runway, and if that is the case, why move the Reds from Scampton?.

AonP
21st May 2008, 10:38
The story was featured on BBC Look North last night:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7411693.stm

Yes it does raise more questions about the millions spent on the CRC and MMU - perhaps a more north for them and consolidate at Kirton in Lindsey? Or another station maybe - discuss! Whatever it is does mean another move within 5 years for a lot of personnel and their families who were told that this war a permanent move to an MOB.

AonP

aviate1138
21st May 2008, 10:53
Quote:

'Tigger' is, I think, a Disney Playhouse copyright now, so how about 'Snigger'? After all the PC desire to clean up the dog's actual, historically accurate, name is a pathetic gesture IMHO.

GalleyTeapot
21st May 2008, 11:22
Given the amount of air movement activity at Waddo recently the Reds will virtually have the place to themselves!!

dilly
21st May 2008, 12:45
Agreed, haven't seen much flying at Waddo for a long long time.

Apparently the E-3s are to be mothballed until at least 2012, and all the FCs are to be posted to desk jobs whilst keeping their flying pay. Maybe it's not such a plastic brevet after all. As for the AEOps and plastic Sgts, they are all being sent to a fish factory in Grimbsy.

TommyGun
21st May 2008, 13:16
Sorry to intrude chaps, just had a quick look on RAF website and apparently the Reds aren't moving to Waddington until July 2011...

...I might actually be in the RAF by then!

Clockwork Mouse
21st May 2008, 14:19
Perhaps MoD can't justify relaying the Scampton runway, which is getting knackered, at vast expence just for RAFAT. They can still do all their display practises over Scampton, so seems a good decision. Presume Scampton will not be closed and alienated but still remain the home of the many non-flying funnies who have now become the majority of the population there.

Valiantone
21st May 2008, 16:49
The MoD website states that the move will be completed by 2011.

They might have a hanger (which is/was in use for vehicles) but they don't yet have any offices, to operate from, I just hope they bring the Gnat with them.

Waddington was actually rather busy today, BAF F-16, FRA Falcon 20, an Apache and a Mildenhall 135, plus lots of Cranwell King Airs.....

V1

spheroid
22nd May 2008, 14:13
Crowded at Waddington....????? According to the crab t'internet Waddington currently has:

3 Nimrods
6 Sentry
5 Sentinel...... total 14 Aircraft. Does that sound crowded? You guys really are taking the pi55 expecting Joe public to fund a fully operational airfield with just 14 aircraft. How on earth can you justify that? I think we should shut Waddington (on the basis thats its a complete folly and a waste of money).

Rigger1
22nd May 2008, 14:34
I think we should shut Waddington Be careful what you wish for / jest. some beancounter sees this and the axe will fall!

Fire 'n' Forget
22nd May 2008, 17:52
Spheroid you are defo an oid a Hemaroid :ok: well the symptoms are the same a pain in the @rse.

Throat
22nd May 2008, 19:30
you forgot the Air Ambulance and the vulcan.:8

The Real Slim Shady
22nd May 2008, 19:43
In 2011 the role of CAS will be civilianised: as one with extensive management experience in the airline business I have already presented a BP to the MoD for my takeover.

Whilst not in service in Afghanistan / Iraq ? fill in the blanks the 2 seat fast jet fleet will be utilised in high cost / crap service / transatlantic services. Essentially, the business travellers will turn up at LCY, a Merlin will whisk him / her / them to a location in Lincolnshire where they will meet their crew for the crossing, be given a bimble box and an airways chart (IFE).

The jet will get airborne RV with the first tanker at Stornoway and head off, supersonic towards Greenland and the first butty slot.

After top up off KEF the jet will continue towards Goose, the option of a night stop is available on the website) before the last slot somewhere off the Canadian coast ( we also provide the big jugs a la Virgin) before contining to destination.

After landing the pilot will have 25 minutes to turn the jet round for the return ( if Ryanair can do a 738 with 189 on board in 25 a Typhoon with 1 will be snagless) before greeting the next passenger for the eastbound crossing.

Price? Well checked baggage is out !

Put it all down resettlement and it's dirt cheap.

Melchett01
22nd May 2008, 21:30
Spheroid - there may only be 14 permanent ac on the books at Waddo, but there are an awful lot of other users in and out of there on a daily basis.

But if you object to spending the money on a separate military airfield for civi ac-sized mil platforms, fair enough. We'll just move them all down to Heathrow, annex a couple of terminals and you can find your own way to where ever you are going on holiday this summer.

phil gollin
23rd May 2008, 06:04
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - but what is up withthe E-3s ?

I thought they were valuable "force multiplier" assets (etc ......) and more particularly actually useful.

XL319
23rd May 2008, 07:52
Red's could of went to Leeming.....plenty of space there now since the departure of the F.3's

PPRuNeUser0139
23rd May 2008, 08:16
Red's could of went to Leeming.....

:ugh:

Valiantone
23rd May 2008, 16:26
Aside from the slight error above:eek:

I believe Leeming being on the edge of Durham Tees Valley Airports...(Sorry RAF Middleton St George), ATZ was the prime reason for not going there?.

So having seen a HHA Hunter at Waddo yesterday, can we have them based as well?? And I hope Scampton is not going to become another bloody Brookenby:eek::eek::eek:

For the benefit of the un-educated let me explain the old married quarters at Binbrook are now a chavestate:ugh:

Ref my earlier comments on accomadation at Waddo for the Reds, I assume the will get a shiny new office block built onto Hanger 2, similar to that added to Hanger 3?

V1

TheGE
23rd May 2008, 18:27
Only 14 aircraft, but count the squadrons

5(AC), 8, 23, 39, 51, 54(R), 56(R)

:ok:

TheGE

bondo
24th May 2008, 10:45
And the wing commanders! :eek:

Willard Whyte
24th May 2008, 13:21
And the wing commanders!

That's not even accounting for all the ones in the AWC.

Guzlin Adnams
24th May 2008, 21:53
Valiantone, the answer is no (unless they can assume squatters rights on 51's block)