PDA

View Full Version : Full time position or Freelance work

FFF
19th May 2008, 15:17
Full time position or Freelance work

I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going on whether people prefer the stability of a full time position, or the "freedom" of conducting freelance contract work. It is a debate that is applicable to many jobs/careers, so let's see how it works out for professional pilots in the rotary world.

Of course, I have already made 2 assumptions there - full time does not necessarily mean stable, and you may not be as "free" as you would like when having to juggle contact work (but then that is why I want to get the discussion going).

It would be great to get some input from people within all areas of the industry, including operators/employers. We all have preferences, but what is considered realistic?

Here are some pros and cons that came to my mind -

Full time:
Considered more of a career choice. A chance to advance up the chain, improving your working conditions and salary. Adds a certain amount of stability from a steady wage check (which can help with credit and buying houses etc) and benefits. Really get to know you aircraft and flight profiles, but this has the risk of becoming mundane if the flying is similar every time. Also, with one employer, you may have to watch what you say (and the waves that you may create if you see problems), since you may be putting your neck on the line (better that than ignore safety though, right?).

Contract Work:
You will only get paid when you find work. No benefits. No advancement. You will only get the work if you have the experience already - so not a good route for a newbie. However, when times are good, you may be able to take more control over your life - you work (or rather don't work) when you want. You have more control over where you work (so long as you have the correct licenses, which of course you have to pay for).

Then of course there is the issue of money - which always drives a lot of decisions unless we are in the fortunate position of not needing to worry about it. I am assuming that a contract pilot would be paid more on a daily rate for the equivalent full time position (not sure how much more, but there must be something to make up for lack of benefits, and the convenience of having the pilot just when wanted). Can a well qualified pilot that does a decent amount of freelance work for several companies earn more in a year than an equivalent full-timer? Does an operator save money overall when using contract pilots as required, rather than having everyone full time? (probably so for seasonal work).

I'm sure that there will be differing opinions and reasons for them - it will be interesting to see if there is a trend that appears.

FFF