PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination against the military to become illegal.

Vortex what...ouch!
19th May 2008, 14:41
About time too. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080519/tuk-forces-discrimination-to-be-offence-6323e80.html :ok:

Fortyodd2
19th May 2008, 14:57
No doubt, MPs will be exempt...:\

mary_hinge
19th May 2008, 15:27
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iV8-KGFqZ80F25-uZwnpuOfijXeA

Discrimination against Armed Forces personnel in military uniform is to be made a criminal offence under proposals accepted by the Government.
A new law was one of 40 recommendations of a study ordered by Prime Minister Gordon Brown into ways to improve relations between the public and the military.
Other incidents of discrimination highlighted by the report included troops at Birmingham and Edinburgh Airports being told to change into civilian clothes or avoid public areas, injured veterans being abused by members of the public at a swimming pool, and intimidation and abuse levelled at RAF personnel in parts of Peterborough.

cyclic gal
19th May 2008, 15:34
Perhaps Mr Brown would be better spending his time asking why we need such a law (His predecessor should be able to help him out on that one.) Once again we've gone full circle from the wearing of uniform in public to the "can't wear uniform in public due to the security implications" to please wear your uniform so we can show you how proud we are of you.

This is nothing more than a move to appease the troubled minds of our leaders in Westminster (and perhaps the guy in the Big White House) who feel guilty after feckin up the Armed Forces, the Country and the World.

to55ers the lot of them

It's Not Working
19th May 2008, 15:46
Does this mean I can now shop at Harrods while wearing uniform?

Dan D'air
19th May 2008, 15:50
Yes, unless you are an RN three-striper, in which case Madman Al-Fayed will think it was you who killed Do-die.

Chugalug2
19th May 2008, 16:43
So more legal initiatives from this law obsessed government! Well keep them coming! I for one demand specific legal protection for discrimination against veterans. Why? Because I'm one mate. Who are you looking at anyway?

N Joe
19th May 2008, 17:58
Interesting comment from the reporter on ITN's evening news that the armed forces see the lack of respect from the government as a bigger problem than lack of respect from the public.

Have they been reading PPRUNE?

N Joe

Occasional Aviator
19th May 2008, 18:23
hmm... I was hoping for something more than just a law against being nasty to people in uniform - perhaps finance companies could be persuaded not to load your credit rating just because you have moved every 2 years, or lived outside the UK. Or perhaps your family shouldn't go to the bottom of NHS waiting lists when you move on posting. Or perhaps flying pay should be pensionable. Or the DVLA might not fine you for not taxing your car if it's on a forces base while you're out of area.

taxydual
19th May 2008, 22:06
Somebody was nasty to me once, whilst I was wearing uniform. His car (towing caravan) had broken down in Bedale market place. Me, in woolly pully etc at 0730 on a Sunday morning (after a 14 hour night shift) declined to fix his car. Thought I was the RAC!!!.

Who's bright idea was it to sell the RAC surplus RAF kit?

TacLan
19th May 2008, 22:53
MP Quentin Davies, who carried out the study, called for "legislation making discrimination directed at those wearing military uniforms by purveyors of public or commercial services an offence".

Must get my uniform on when filling in the life insurance renewal!

Torchy
20th May 2008, 09:30
We need more than this. Making it an offence to have a go at someone in uniform is just tickling the surface and trying to get a few more votes..I remember, in the early 70' , if someone was "discriminated" against by some yobs in Bury St Edmunds, for instance, retribution was swift!! We need "proper" regulation that will make it illegal, as a previous poster above mentions, to discriminate against anyone for any reason who is in, or who has been in, the armed forces. Insurance and credit mainly spring to mind, but of course, there was the Headly Court Incident too - then Selly Oak and non wearing of uniform so as not to upset the civilian patients - I could go on........If they are going to pass a law - then do it properly and make it worth while

PPRuNe Pop
20th May 2008, 16:33
For once - I think they will pass it in law. And about time too.

Self defence will be 'tolerated' too I reckon. :E:ok: - should it be required, of course! :E:E

exscribbler
20th May 2008, 21:50
Taxydual: Is that why RAC vans are now orange?

Indeed, Cyclic Gal, the Broons should be thinking why such legislation is needed. I for one am becoming more and more pi**ed off with all their inconsequential legislation that no-one will be bothered to enforce.

Having said that, I bet there aren't too many incidents of abuse of service personnel by civilians in Hereford or Lympstone... :E

Epimetheus
21st May 2008, 09:54
Taxydual,
I share your views on recognition, having been accused of being a policeman, a securicor man and an RAC man while proudly wearing my RAF blues.
It's not so bad for the aircrew with the brevet on the jumper (alas no good in just a shirt I know - maybe more justification for the US-type metal clip-on?), but what we need if we wish to be recognised is the RAF Logo somewhere on our uniform - the "Royal Air Force" with the slanted 'A's and the roundel. Some people don't like it, but it is becoming recognisable because it is the single logo - this is what we need if we are to be recognisable in the street.
Epimetheus (it's always easy in hindsight)

taxydual
21st May 2008, 11:28
RAF logo on uniform. Interesting thought. Better not be the roundel though. What a target that would be!!!