PDA

View Full Version : B412/212 Tail Rotor AD

bellfest
19th May 2008, 07:50
Does anyone have any background info on the recent Tail Rotor AD on the 412/212. It seems to be quite an ambiguous and open ended AD referring to 'several' incidents of cracking in the blades in no particular area for no particular reason. Does anyone know any of the machines that this has recently happened to?? Sounds serious enough and it would be good to get a clearer view of the previous incidents if anyone can shed any light.

Turkeyslapper
19th May 2008, 09:15
I think there was an article on the Flight International web site. Something about a 412 at 5000 feet and a tail rotor falling to bits:eek:

I haven't seen the AD but have heard that it will involve an inspection (pilot, whoever) after every start/shutdown - could be interesting when you shut down on the side of the road on a EMS job and there doesn't happen to be a ladder around!

Does anyone know any different?

Driptray
19th May 2008, 09:32
Australian AD/B412/55, or AD/B212/69 and AD/B205/74, all refer to an FAA AD which can be found at the following link here. (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/93799a78b12993cd86257441004c3bea/$FILE/2008-10-03.pdf)

This is related to some issues the Canadian Defence Force CF412 had, although the link talks about some issues as long ago as the 1970's, and one recently on a 412EP.

outhouse
19th May 2008, 12:30
Did expect a little repartee over this one but never mind. I hope all you 212/412 drivers are enjoying the paper trail.:eek:
outhouse

outhouse
21st May 2008, 13:01
Though in blissful retirement, but having experienced the wrath of the authorities over correct paperwork re the compliance of an AD and the pilots responsibility, I am just passing some advice from an old fart. I hope all affected by this one have your balls covered and the paper trail completed.

:cool:

Sikorskyfan
21st May 2008, 16:42
Date: 18 July 2002

Epilogue:

The crew was conducting a Search and Rescue (SAR) mission about 100 nautical miles from Goose Bay when Rescue Coordination Centre Halifax cancelled the mission because the target had been located. The weather was marginal visual flight rules. The crew started the return leg to 5 Wing, when, in normal cruise flight at 200-300 feet above ground level, the tail rotor departed the aircraft. About 400 meters down track, the aircraft crashed into hilly, tree-covered terrain. Both pilots were killed instantly and both the SAR Technician and Flight Engineer were seriously injured. Despite his injuries, the Flight Engineer was able to render first aid to his crewmates. He used a satellite phone to report the accident to RCC Halifax. A 444 Squadron rescue helicopter arrived on scene to evacuate the survivors to medical facilities within 3 hours. The aircraft was destroyed.

The investigation revealed that while in cruise flight, the tail rotor of CH146420 failed due to a fatigue crack initiating from a small damage site on the skin of the rotor blade about 18.5 inches from the tip of one blade. That section of one blade then flew off; the resulting imbalance of this dynamic component caused the tail rotor input shaft to fail instantly and the entire tail rotor to depart the aircraft. The change to the aircraft's centre of gravity with loss of mass of the tail rotor created a nearly instantaneous and extreme out of normal flight condition which was compounded by the low altitude, terrain, and weather conditions.

The full Investigation Report can be found at www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs it makes for interesting reading. Both Pilot’s died in the crash.

Oldlae
6th Jul 2008, 21:56
Some years ago I investigated a 212 accident in Indonesia where the oil cooler intake panel departed the aircraft and hit the T/R. The TRGB was broken in half and the a/c flew for about 600 yards before hitting the ground. Pilot was hosipitalised but OK, the engineer in the left seat wasn't so lucky. At that time no one could help us determine how far the a/c could fly without a T/R as we couldn't find it immediately in the jungle of Sumatra, it was later found by the local inhabitants who were well rewarded. I put this in just in case the question comes up again, hopefully not.