PDA

View Full Version : Royals and Robbies

Heli-phile
18th May 2008, 22:06
Has anyone ever seen a VVIP/royal gracing a R22/R44

I cannot recal ever seeing an HRH in a R22 or R44, Even lovely old Fergie flew a 269c (Budgie) I know normal protocol is 2 engines 2 pilots but not for training flights!!!

Any examples??

BlenderPilot
18th May 2008, 22:40
What's a "royal"? :E

timex
19th May 2008, 00:39
Lots of "Royals" flew single engine, namely Gazelles.:cool::cool: A couple of the Royal family also flew Gazelle, but AFAIK not R22/44

Ioan
19th May 2008, 01:13
I assume Prince Will did some time on the Squirrel before his recent Chinook flying?
Can't say I've ever heard of them doing 22 / 44 time mind!

Overdrive
19th May 2008, 02:26

....a type of potato.

Heli-phile
19th May 2008, 05:00
I wonder why no VVIP/Royal family members use Robinsons?????:confused:
What reason could it be?????:confused:

Runway101
19th May 2008, 05:29
I wonder why no VVIP/Royal family members use Robinsons?????
What reason could it be?????

Because they don't care about cost and it's much cooler to start off training in a twin-turbine and land in your g/f's garden. I guess we'd do the same if we could afford it.

SilsoeSid
19th May 2008, 09:19
I wonder why no VVIP/Royal family members use Robinsons:confused:
What reason could it be:confused:

Because they are not the baffoons the press make them out to be :ok:

windowseatplease
19th May 2008, 09:26
It's very easy to bash Robinsons on this forum, especially if you have had your training paid for by the military, hence you've have never had to scrimp and save to pay for your own training on the cheapest type of heli.

DBChopper
19th May 2008, 18:27
It's very easy to bash Robinsons on this forum

I wouldn't start getting too sensitive about that, or you'll be typing on here for the rest of your life! :E

Whirlygig
19th May 2008, 18:30
It's very easy to bash Robinsons on this forum

I know. Too easy really. Like taking sweets from a baby! :}

Cheers

Whirls

Now seeing Fergie in a new light!!! ;)

Brilliant Stuff
19th May 2008, 21:25
Why is there a need for us "Professionals" to bad mouth products?

Whirlygig
19th May 2008, 21:33
The same reason that we still tell Irish jokes - it's not big, it's not clever but it is funny!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
19th May 2008, 21:37
Especially when you have some Irish in you. ;)

The Nr Fairy
20th May 2008, 04:29
Does Will Young count as a VVIP ? Surrey to Harewood House in 2004 - all the big helicopters were at the Olympics in Greece.

And no, when he said "it's quite a small chopper, isn't it" I didn't think of anything witty quickly enough :) Now, do I still have his PA's mobile number . . .

Heli-phile
20th May 2008, 07:39
Never heard of the Gentleman, but I might be out of touch.

DBChopper
20th May 2008, 12:23
And no, when he said "it's quite a small chopper, isn't it" I didn't think of anything witty quickly enough

I normally blame the unseasonably cold weather :uhoh:

On the plus side, good job you didn't mention you were also known as The Nr Fairy... :E

topendtorque
20th May 2008, 12:27
I wouldn't start getting too sensitive about that, or you'll be typing on here for the rest of your life! :E

HO HO ? Half-wit. We slowed down one of your countrymen already, quite some, no name metioned;

and it had something to do with with comments in the imbecilic vein, as below.

And no, when he said "it's quite a small chopper, isn't it" I didn't think of anything witty quickly enough :) Now, do I still have his PA's mobile number

SO THANK YOU MR FAIRY FOR PUTTING YOUR SMALLEST FOOT FORWARD??

However,

I think this is the best comment / question yet posted.

but as yet,
no answer.
tet.

airborne_artist
20th May 2008, 15:10
I've heard it on good authority that they don't fly Frank's products because they know how silly it sounds saying "Wobinson". Far easier to say Gazelle/Squirrel.

Schweizer is even easier of course, if most of your family comes from Lower Saxony :E

heliski22
20th May 2008, 15:40
Whirls/ShyT - hope you still have your sense of humour......

Paddy the Englishman, Paddy the Scotsman and Paddy the Irishman were each granted a wish by a genie. Paddy the Scotsman quickly declared that he wished all the land in Scotland to remain fertile forever. It was done in an instant. Paddy the Englishman was well impressed and responded by wishing for a wall around England to keep everything foreign out. In a flash, a great wall appeared around England.

Paddy the Irishman thought about this and asked, “Tell me more about that wall!”

So the genie said, “It’s 5000ft thick, 5,000ft tall, nothing gets in or out!”

Paddy the Irishman lay back, carefully lit a Hamlet and said - “Fill the bugger with water!”

Life jackets under the seat and all that.......!! :):)

Whirlygig
20th May 2008, 18:03
Heliski, not sure whether the umbrage taken by my English half is outweighed by the mirth experienced by my Irish half!!!

Cheers

Whirls

nigelh
20th May 2008, 18:09
Topend....whatever ....do you ever make any sense at all ??????
I agree tho, that we should all agree to stop robbo bashing .

DBChopper
20th May 2008, 21:51
TET,

I have to agree with Nigelh....

What on earth are you on about??? :ugh:

:E

Heli-phile
20th May 2008, 23:07
Interesting how an enquiry as to why no VVIP or Royals use Robbies is deemed Robbie bashing.

Anyway there must be some VVIPs or Royals that have, how about including just mere VIP's, would that help??;)

Heli-phile
20th May 2008, 23:17
Perhaps Frank should rename the brand as "Rotkehlchen-Sohn"
Should be easier to "pwonownce"

Is that all it would take do you think?:}

21st May 2008, 06:08
You don't need to bash an R22 - fly it without keeping your skills up and it will do it for you:)

topendtorque
21st May 2008, 13:20
You don't need to bash an R22 - fly it without keeping your skills up and it will do it for you:)

Well said.

What on earth are you on about??? :ugh:

Well maaaate , I just took your quote below as to be another inthe vein of Robbo bashing, please forgive me if you were innocently posting an observation. Not a wise thing to do here, without qualifying it.

I would say CB, (err DCB is it?), ( sorry it's DBC), that for a machine that has 322 posts, you are indeed a halfwit if you have not noticed that I have squared off against nigelh every time that he has given lip toward the fabled R22.

However

I agree tho, that we should all agree to stop robbo bashing .

This excerpt earns my full admiration.

Thank you nigelh and peace be with you. Don't forget that invitiation that I extended to you some time ago, for a beer and a chat.

My lounge room is big enough to fly '47's around whilst enjoying that beer, and outside there are a few trees to fly around whilst practising the art of evading agressive mooieees. albeit in a R22. alla my '47's have long gone.
tet

nigelh
21st May 2008, 14:07
TOT I was joking :ok: I personally wouldnt set foot in one again :eek: flew one in 82 and hated it ...told Frank it would never work :D
Carry on bashing :ok:

DBChopper
21st May 2008, 22:46
Torquendtop,

I thank you for your advice. Sadly, I must be a halfwit. I fly only Robbies and love 'em :ok:

Yours,

DcBopper (damn - always get that wrong :rolleyes:)

22nd May 2008, 13:00
Nigel - you need to end up on your side in a field in one to fully appreciate the shortcomings of the fabled R22:) The only time I have been thankful for a low inertia rotor system!

topendtorque
22nd May 2008, 20:44
TOT I was joking :ok: I personally wouldnt set foot in one again :eek: flew one in 82 and hated it ...told Frank it would never work :D
Carry on bashing :ok:

LOL
a bugger of a kid,
you must have been.

'82, yes that's about when I endorsed on one, those leightweight blades were something else.
much better now.

Palma
24th May 2008, 12:49
Prince Andrew definitely flew in a Robinson R22 when he attended the HCGB Championships at Broadlands, Hampshire. I do not recall the date, but think it was in the mid 1980s.

JCR
2nd Jun 2008, 08:46
Yup-I remember that.

nigelh
2nd Jun 2008, 14:54
that would explain why he has given up flying and taken up golf .....

JCR
2nd Jun 2008, 16:32
Flying is cheaper than golf!

2nd Jun 2008, 18:43
Vital Actions - I paid for my R22 time, all 13 hours of it!

Um... lifting...
2nd Jun 2008, 19:26
That fabled military training isn't free, despite what many seem to think...

at least in the colonies that million or so that it costs is shoved up your nether regions a nickel at a time... (crab, one would assume it's a bob at a time in UK)

We know what 'royals' are in my part of the world... and yes, Charles Bronson is the agriculture commissioner... I'm pretty sure he's not the same one...

http://www.fl-seafood.com/i/red_shrimp.jpg

Bootneck
2nd Jun 2008, 20:15
Tet,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/Cartoons/dead_horse.gif

Good try though. :E

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/Cartoons/CuddlyBootneck001.jpg

topendtorque
2nd Jun 2008, 21:11
Thanks bootneck, well done, it obviously must have been a passing fantasy, I shoulld have bloody well known better.

BTW
playing golf must be a better pastime than "picking flowers"?