PDA

View Full Version : EASA PArt M final version?

David Roberts
18th May 2008, 22:05
I've posted this on another well visited site and thought folks may be interested in the (final?) Part M:

EASA published on Friday its 'Opinion' to the European Commission on the final version of Part M for aircraft < 2730 kg MTOM used non-commercially. It can be downloaded from:

www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/g/rg_opinions_main.php#2008

The process is now for the working group of Member States at the Commission to review / agree the changes, which should be done in fairly short order in view of the current implementation deadline of 28 September 2008, and which date can only be extended by the transiton provisions in the 'Opinion' if the latter is adopted by the Commission quickly.

If you read it carefully, you will see that the transition arrangements are up to 28 September 2009, so in effect national rules can continue until then - see the detail.

The changes now incorporated in the 'Opinion' are the result of nearly 5 years of work by the pan-EU GA representative bodies, primarily Europe Air Sports, and also IAOPA and ECOGAS (Bill Taylor of De Havilland Support representing ECOGAS), inputting to the various EASA working groups through the nominated experts. Whilst we did not achieve the desired 'Light Part M', nevertheless I believe the result is (a) much better than the original / current Part M and (b) will prove to be workable and acceptable for the vast majority. The proviso being that the CAA implements it at the approvals and working level as EASA intends.

In fairness to EASA, and particularly Juan Anton who took over the poisoned chalice 18 months ago, they have listened to our criticisms of the original Part M and to a large extent, within the straightjacket of the European standardisation agenda imposed by the political system, answered positively many of the points we raised and objected to. Not all, but many.

Comments welcome once you have digested (and interpreted) the legal text.

Next one to watch for is the NPA on Pilot Licensing - due end of this month for 3 months consultation.

DGR / V-P Europe AIr Sports

IO540
19th May 2008, 06:15
The 1000-2000kg category will be specially interesting, as this is where the "long range capability at a reasonable price" is located.

Below 1000kg is mostly just VFR-only weekend fun stuff, already being heavily deregulated.

There is a huge opportunity for operating cost reduction. The biggest chunk of operating cost comes from the historical part certification regime ("aviation" parts requiring traceability documentation, enabling the vendor to shaft the customer). For example my exhaust nuts (12) are stainless steel castellated nuts, worth about 10p each. They sell for GBP 20 each... I can buy them mail order from the USA for $18 each which is better but still a 100x markup. If "homebuilt style" owner maintenance was permitted then much lower cost parts could be used.