PDA

View Full Version : Job in Afghanistan?

Wings Of Fury
18th May 2008, 15:46
Hi, I didn't know where to post this topic, forgive me if its not the right place.

Does anyone know or heard of this job? Or if these people are serious?
Can anyone in Afghanistan confirm if there is any turbo-prop DC-3s on the ground anywhere?

DC-3 Airplane Pilot needed overseas

Company: Aerotek
Category: Aviation Jobs
Rate: $130,000 to $140,000 per Year + 35% danger and 35% post differential
Job Type: Direct Placement
Posting ID: 1581314
Posting Date: 4/17/2008
DC-3 Airplane Pilot needed overseas Job Description:
Military subcontractor currently has 4 openings available for 4 DC-3 Airplane Pilots overseas.

Position Overview:
Operates DC3 BT-67 airplane in support of approved missions in Afghanistan.
Experience Required:
FAA Commercial and Instrument Certificate, with Multi Engine type rating of aircraft over 12,500 pounds; CFI/II Multi-engine Instrument certification with 2,500 Fixed Wing flight hours and 1,000 hours turbine time.

Special Knowledge/Skills Required:
1. Employee qualification in DC3 BT-67 is required prior to assignment.
2. Individual will be qualified and must maintain currency and proficiency with Night Vision Goggles (NVG) as a condition of employment.
3. An FAA CFI or CFII rating in type and category or a military Instructor Pilot (IP) or Standardization Pilot (SP) rating is desired.
4. During training and throughout the employment period, the individual must demonstrate and maintain proficiency in understanding aircraft systems, components, and operating limitations as well as understanding and complying with regulations and policies.
5. Individual must possess a thorough knowledge of FAA, ICAO policy and regulations pertinent to the operational requirement.
6. The individual must be able to attain and retain a SECRET CLEARANCE as a condition of employment.
7. Employees must provide documentation of completion for any manufacturer's course of instruction, military flight training or instruction in other aircraft.
8. DC-3 instructor experience is desired. Instructor Pilot applicants must have documentation showing proof of successful completion of a Certified Flight Instructor qualification or an equivalent military qualification.

Work Environment:
1. Pilots will be required to work and live in a potentially hostile environment, at remote locations, under austere conditions.
2. Pilots may be required to respond to a wide variety of operational circumstances, under extreme weather conditions, within a hostile environment.
3. The pilot will perform duties in garrison, under tactical field conditions and on board airplanes within a hostile environment.

stas-fan
18th May 2008, 16:51
well for $270,000 a year even I might get out of bed. but first lets summarise, and then let me know if I have this right:

Dakota, on NVG, in Afghanistan?

yes I'm up for it, I missed the Air America film auditions so this should be a similar experience. I have seen a rather dapper bandana in Debenhams and I still have a few Churchill cigars left over from Thumrait days to chew on in-flight.

VinRouge
18th May 2008, 16:54
It is the turboprop version after all you pussy :E

Chicken Leg
18th May 2008, 17:09
A Dakota? Aww, imagine the romance!

On NVG? Are you sure? Where did that advert come from?

$250,000? Stass fan. That's not bad though, I don't know anyone else who pays that much. I might have to make enquires! Maybe start a bidding war! :E

VinRouge
18th May 2008, 17:38
Check this out...

http://www.dodson.com/dc3_dc-3_cargo_turboprop_specs.htm

APPROACH SPEED VREF.
84 KIAS
LANDING DIST. (50 ft OBSTACLE)
2750 ft. (NO REVERSE POWER)
APPROACH CLIMB
4.0% Gross. Grad.
BALKED LANDING CLIMB
5.2% Gross. Grad.

Certainly could get interesting climbing out in summer especially if you lost an engine..... Those figures are Gross, not even Net!!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
18th May 2008, 18:21
The Dodson DC3s use the -65 engines rather than the -67s AFAIK.

L J R
19th May 2008, 06:11
How many DC-3's and crews did they have this time last year....? Something more that what they have now? .....mmmmmm

Wings Of Fury
20th May 2008, 10:11
L J R,

They were operating last year? Did they loose some aircraft and crews?

Do you know anymore about this outfit?

MerryDown
21st May 2008, 05:02
Just a note ,

Transited back through South Africa several years ago and recall seeing these up-engined Dakotas being putting to use by a SA cargo company.

A colleague I was travelling with told me they were the result of the strong embargoes placed on SA during the apartheid days....

If you cannot buy them , make them..

Fine for moving sheep, NVG in Afghanland errr no thanks

irord
24th Feb 2011, 14:47
I saw one today (DC-3 w/turbo prop) south afganistan

ConingsbyFlyingClub
24th Feb 2011, 16:17
Well done it's only taken you the best part of 3 years to see one!

Beancountercymru
24th Feb 2011, 20:45
According to this website the US Department of State use them in Afghanistan

http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt_67_worldwide.html (http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt_67_worldwide.html)

There is even a gunship version on this page

http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt_67_worldwide.html (http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt_67_worldwide.html)

(scroll to the foot of the page)

Pontius Navigator
24th Feb 2011, 22:01
Proves the point, if you get the design right first time why keep trying to improve the wheel.

StopStart
24th Feb 2011, 22:52
These have been smashing around out there for yonks now. Great looking aircraft :E I seem to remember them doing circuits & pattern work up at Kabul a few years back. Sounded like it was flown by Conway Twitty..... :ok:

Where do I sign?

Farfrompuken
24th Feb 2011, 23:08
Hmmmm, has a certain niche appeal.....

zlocko2002
28th Feb 2011, 11:35
nice bird, they fly everyday, haven't seen them during night...
although:O they probably keep nav and strobe off

lynx75
20th Apr 2011, 18:26
I was there a year ago and there is a bazler dak flying there. I dont know who operates it. We few the other one but have moved out of Kabul. Best of luck.

Frazzled
21st Apr 2011, 10:10
Yep anyone who has been there has seen them, however......

Wonder why they pay so much - either very stupid company or very dangerous postion (though everyone has their price).

Take it and when either the bucket of gold or the biucket of **** is full - leave. Remember - it's no use being the richest guy in the cemetary:E

Frazzled:ugh:

RookiePilot
21st Apr 2011, 13:55
Sounds very interesting. I'd give it a go myself if only I had more'n sixty hours single engine!

DD24.5C
21st Apr 2011, 14:21
If memory serves, which often these days is not the case, then i recall one operating out of KAF regularly as part of the DoS fleet out in that part of the world undertaking various (drug) eradication tasks. Quite a good bit of kit with the additions on it and probably worth while. Good bunch too.

;)

moggiee
21st Apr 2011, 18:34
Transited back through South Africa several years ago and recall seeing these up-engined Dakotas being putting to use by a SA cargo company.

A colleague I was travelling with told me they were the result of the strong embargoes placed on SA during the apartheid days....
I work with a couple of guys who used to fly them for the South African Air Force - they never stop talking about how great the aeroplanes were.

Mind you, they also never stop talking about how great they themselves are! :)