PDA

View Full Version : The Royal British and French Navy?

green granite
18th May 2008, 12:02
Nelson will be spinning in his grave :(

Two hundred years after the battle of Trafalgar, the navy could end up sharing the pride of its fleet with the French. Driven by spiralling budgets, the two navies began talks last week aimed at sharing their aircraft carriers.
The government is expected to give the go-ahead for the Royal Navy’s two new aircraft carriers this week, part of a joint Anglo-French project to build a total of three.

Full article :http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3953901.ece

Beatriz Fontana
18th May 2008, 13:27
It's 1st April, isn't it?

brickhistory
18th May 2008, 13:35
Something like this?

"Hello, Claude? This is Nigel, MOD. Look, I know Tuesday's are your day for the carrier, but we've got a spot of bother in the South Atlantic and we were wondering if we might swap a Friday later on for this coming Tuesday?"

"What's that? No, we won't be going anywhere near the Iranians, promise........."

"Really? Well, alright, I suppose. You are in the midst of that Greenpeace mess, so we'll wait..............."

Green Flash
18th May 2008, 13:39
Best make sure the Dark Blue have a wide selection of pâle fléchir in the flag locker then :E

Moi?:hmm:

Two's in
18th May 2008, 14:16
It makes perfect Operational sense - The Brits use it for going to war, the French use it to retreat from war. Cost of both legs covered...

Green Flash
18th May 2008, 14:47
The Brits use it for going to war, the French use it to retreat from war

Brilliant! Ah, problem. We'll have to rely on the French having the same war as us. Wonder if they will have a well stocked wine cellar?

Ooer, did I use the words 'rely' and 'French' in the same sentance?;)

glad rag
18th May 2008, 18:26
Gonna be difficult when only half can salute in the mornings...........

Riskman
18th May 2008, 19:09
The Royal British and French Navy?

Just not feasible. The French got rid of their royals a couple of centuries ago. This issue will generate a far larger carbon footprint than any practical considerations such as how the marchout/march in will be conducted.:E

Green Flash
18th May 2008, 19:18
Does that mean the RN will have to sail on the right? And will the aircraft have to have yellow landing lights?

exscribbler
18th May 2008, 21:48
Don't let the French do the electrics... :E

Sign at the end of the flight deck: Vous n'avez pas priorité. :}

Dan D'air
18th May 2008, 22:43
Putain............. et Guardez vous.

Flyingblind
18th May 2008, 23:09
Imperial or Metric specs?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th May 2008, 09:13
MoD officials dismissed the talks as "aspirational" and insisted there were "no current plans" to share carriers with the French.

I suppose being Sectioned to a Aspiration Asylum does have a certain ring to it.

exscribbler
19th May 2008, 09:45
Of course we could get Rafale M a lot more quickly than F-35. And at only €56.6 million each.

The Aspiration Asylum is just off Parliament Square. :E

round&round
19th May 2008, 11:16
Well, I think it makes perfect sense - my entire experience of the RN was the odd little bit of fire practise interspersed with endless cocktail parties in nice places various (once the Captains's sponsored Jaguar was unloaded, of course).

Now they'll be able to serve French bubbly stuff and petit fours. The young lovelies from the embassies better watch out, the Navy could be getting far more lethal!!:O