PDA

View Full Version : Training on Schweizer or R22?

Kalli
18th May 2008, 11:33
Hi there folks!

Well - First post since joining, and soon to start the road to my PPL after a lifetime of anticipation; However, curious as to which heli to go for.

From what i generally know, the Schweizer was created as a trainer, and as such, is more inline with the needs of a newbie - slow, stable, and so on. But on the flip side, the R-22 has lower oprating costs i believe, which makes it the common trainer it seems in the UK currently. So im at a loss as to which to pick as my training heli.

Then on the flip side, as R22's are alot more common in the Airfields around my location, im thinking that for the sake of ease of use - R22's are the way forward.

Quite simply, im thinking of going for the Schweizer, and getting a conversion once im past the status of 'newbie' - But being just that, i have no doubt that i lack the knowledge and experience you folks have with these heli's.

Any particular preference for you guys as to which i should learn on?

ps - Sorry if this is a common question/post, but i couldnt actually find anything on it.

Senior Pilot
18th May 2008, 11:56
Sorry if this is a common question/post, but i couldnt actually find anything on it.

There's some interesting information in this thread, What would you choose, R22 or 300CBi if a similar price (TO HIRE) ? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327264)

Kalli
18th May 2008, 12:37
Bah the one thread i didnt read (gathered it wasnt in regards to training :P) Thanks for the link.

Sorry for the spam folks.