PDA

View Full Version : ARRC HQ to Move to Innsworth

ORAC
17th May 2008, 08:49
NATO to Shift Rapid Reaction Corps HQ to U.K. (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3530645&c=EUR&s=TOP)

LONDON - NATO is set to move the Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) from Germany to the United Kingdom. The relocation will see the headquarters and some supporting elements move from the British base at Rheindahlen to Innsworth in southern England in 2010.

HQ ARRC is one of NATO's front-line high-readiness operations. The British provide the commander, the chief of staff and the majority of other posts at a headquarters that has more than 400 staff members from 17 nations.

Currently, the ARRC consists of the standing headquarters and six assigned divisions from which force packages can be chosen. Two British combat divisions are assigned to the force.

The move is part of a wider drawback of British forces based in Germany that has been underway for several years.

The British are also planning to move 1 Signal Brigade and 102 Logistics Brigade from Germany to the United Kingdom. The preferred site is Cosford in Shropshire, which is currently a Royal Air Force base.

The 1 Signals Brigade provides command support to HQ ARRC.

Wensleydale
17th May 2008, 17:37
By 2010? - Doesn't seem very rapid to me!

airsound
17th May 2008, 20:22
The British are also planning to move 1 Signal Brigade and 102 Logistics Brigade from Germany to the United Kingdom. The preferred site is Cosford in Shropshire, which is currently a Royal Air Force base.

This, of course, follows on from the - largely political - decision to uproot DCAE (Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering), and take it to St Athan.

The RAF Station (not a 'base') at Cosford dates back to just pre-World War 2, when No 2 School of Technical Training opened there. It is a historic site, which still possesses, and uses, its original control tower.

The move could mean that this year's Cosford Air Show - one of the very few RAF air shows still left - will be the last. Between 30,000 and 40,000 spectators go each year.

This year's show is on 1 June.

airsound

Melchett01
17th May 2008, 22:05
By 2010? - Doesn't seem very rapid to me!

Seems right to me - about the usual speed for anything happening at Innsworth!