PDA

View Full Version : Hand Baggage Ryanair????

magpienja
17th May 2008, 08:42
Hi sorry to sound dim but I went to school in the feet and inches days,

Due to fly with ryanair next w/e and checking there web site it says I can take as hand baggage a bag of 10kg no probs there, but its the size I am not sure of, they quotes 55X40X20cm to me this is 21X15X8 inches is this correct,

Its just that it seem to be a quite large bag size to take on the a/c, but if thats the size well fine, I dont want to turn up at the airport with the wrong info.

Nick.

iFabio2
17th May 2008, 09:07
Correct :) though you might also see someone with bigger luggage. I wouldn't risk though, I bought one bag within the limits. Sometimes I have seen ryan people checking all the luggage at the gate.

Fabio

magpienja
18th May 2008, 19:08
Thanks Fabio.

Nick.

Skintman
19th May 2008, 12:09
It's the standard carry on size as stipulated as max by all carriers. The max size bag will theoretically fit under your seat or in the overhead locker.

If everyone took a bag of the max size on board, then there would be nowhere to put them all. :eek:

Skintman

ad astra
22nd May 2008, 04:53
It's really quite a large size, but as stated some airports will check it too - even if you check in online and don't go anywhere near any scales at the check in desk.
Incidentally, if this is the standard size for all airlines - why is it so difficult to find a bag made to these exact dimensions? It can't be that hard.
The nearest I got was a rolling case from Tesco for a fiver!

si-angel
22nd May 2008, 11:33
not wanting to sound dim, but if i do take a case of these dimensions as hand luggage is this literally all that i'm allowed to take through security? can i take a hand bag as well?

and, if so, is there a maximum size of 'handbag', or is this at security's discretion?

having had my trusty hard-shell returned to me in pieces at gatwick on monday morning, i'm also in the market for a new case - and thinking i might like to look after my own luggage from now on (at least the duty free survived)

many thanks

172driver
22nd May 2008, 17:15
It's the standard carry on size as stipulated as max by all carriers. The max size bag will theoretically fit under your seat or in the overhead locker.

Incorrect. It is - annoyingly - slightly smaller. Standard, as used by BA (and pretty much all mainline carriers) is 56 x 45 x 25.

The main problem with RYR (well, perhaps not the main one :mad: ) is the 20cm depth - it's not easy to find a bag that conforms and isn't tiny. And yes, they do check !

Also, don't even dream of having a handbag := at least not ex UK. Ex continental Europe things are a bit easier....

si-angel
23rd May 2008, 09:32
blimey, thanks for the warning!

pacer142
24th May 2008, 18:32
My Karrimor Trail 35 litre rucksack fits perfectly, and can be made to fit smaller sizes (or bigger sizes if available) by just packing more or less in it. Far more practical than fixed-size trolleys, and in my view easier to carry than pulling a silly little trolley around.

The downside is that it doesn't look as professional as a trolley, but then again you see a lot more businesspeople in the City carrying rucksacks these days due to the need to lug laptops around.

Grasscarp
24th May 2008, 20:34
Had to stuff my handbag inside my suitcase at EastMidlands on Ryanair,and then take it out after security. Ridiculous, but rules is rules!

VAFFPAX
25th May 2008, 15:08
Grasscarp, that is not an airline problem - that's an airport problem.

Several airports are still required to institute the one-bag policy because they haven't made the appropriate security changes to revert back to a two-bag (one bag plus one personal item) policy yet.

It is crazy. I have to agree with previous posters that a full plane with everyone using one of those max-handbaggage size bags would not ever be possible, that some hand luggage will have to be hold-checked. I've seen it plenty of times before in the US, and it constantly causes problems.

I'm waiting for AA's policy to charge $25 per bage checked into the hold to cause even more nightmares for my pax.

S.

Based
26th May 2008, 11:23
Had to stuff my handbag inside my suitcase at EastMidlands on Ryanair,and then take it out after security. Ridiculous, but rules is rules!

UK only rule within the EU. No logical reason for it, just the UK showing they set their own rules and won't be dictated to by the EU I guess. I know I feel so much more secure travelling through UK airports:rolleyes: