PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in the desert

olderbloke
15th May 2008, 17:02
Apologies for sounding like a complete duffer but does anyone know whether you can shop 'tax free' whilst on deployment overseas? Mrs O is trying to see the bright side of my imminent sojourn in Costa del Hindu Kush...:rolleyes:

TAC Queen
15th May 2008, 17:43
Yes you can
Some companies deliver to BFPO address and don’t add the TAX. Cotswold camping is one I think.

Enjoy and stay safe

gijoe
15th May 2008, 17:55
older,

Send me a PM and I'll tell what I know about the Hindu Kush side of life having just got back from my 3rd trip of 2 months in 9...

There is lots to be taken advantage of :ok:

G

TheWizard
15th May 2008, 18:06
Amazon do a VAT free scheme too. One you get the goods at a BFPO address they will refund the tax paid. Can save you quite a bit over a long det!:ok:

higthepig
15th May 2008, 18:33
Maplin are excellent. They do not charge the VAT providing it is to a valid BFPO address when you pay for the item(s). I have used them many times without problem, they also seem to be very quick with delivering things, Amazon can take ages. (I don't work for Maplin, but I do like shiny things with lights and electronic stuff inside that the other half doesn't understand!).

smugley
15th May 2008, 18:53
Just a quick word of warning about this, some companies don't track their parcels/packages etc outside of the UK Mainland, so if your goods don't arrive or get half-inched along the way. You is a bit stuck.

I'd check beforehand, I recall speaking to the postie dude at a far flung hot and sandy place and he really didn't have alot of good things to say about Amazon and their overseas service.

However, that may well be just a run of bad luck with the BFPO system. A LOT of mail got lost over winter 2007/2008.

Good luck!:ok:

VinRouge
15th May 2008, 20:38
Ordered 2 laptops and 3 digital cameras off amazon to Kaf, never had a problem. One camera arrived 4 days after ordering!

Oh, KAF has a DHL depot as well is you are ordering something UBER expensive!

Top Bunk Tester
16th May 2008, 09:33
Having just spent 2 1/2 years in the other desert (Don't ask) I can say that I never lost anything in the BFPO system and we used to order a lot from Amazon (.com & .co.uk). Their system for refunds is a bit of a balls ache, you have to email them when you get the 'goods despatched' email and they will then refund the VAT. Most other companies will not charge VAT at source if you explain to them that you are ordering from a 'qualifying BFPO address', this is important as not all BFPO addresses are classed as 'Duty Free'. All of the desert BFPO's qualify. The only company that I know who flatly refuse to deliver to BFPO are Dabs.com. Basra also has it's own DHL for those bigger packages. It is a bit of a lottery as far as the BFPO 2kg weight restriction is concerned. I've known guys get laptops posted (5kg) and then others get knocked back at 2.5 kgs. Hope that helps.

Piggies
16th May 2008, 16:23
I spent £70 with Amazon last year while OOA and the goods never turned up. After 4 weeks, e-mailed them. 7 days later my things turned up with a note apologising for inconvenience. Top work fellas!:ok:

Have heard tell that a lot of stuff 'walks' in the sorting offices especially if it's in an Amazon box. Wouldn't surprise me.

ProfessionalStudent
16th May 2008, 19:16
Dell Computers will send any of their computers to a BFPO address and you won't pay any tax. I've done it myself and know plenty of others have too, and I've heard of no issues. You can't have tax-free AND the military discount (the mil dis is only worth about 2% in any case...), but 17.5% is better than a kick in the proverbials...:ok:

Laarbruch72
17th May 2008, 00:29
"Braking it"?

I tell you what, we may well slag off movers, (or at least many do, myself not included), but at least most movers know that what they do to aircraft is "break" them. Not "brake" them. The jockeys do that. :ok:

There's a chucking stones / glass houses simile there somewhere.