PDA

View Full Version : ryanair operations officer trainee

decy
15th May 2008, 09:30
hey guys,,got myself an interview for ryanair as an operations officer trainee on tuesday,,

i have to say im really excited abiut this as working in ops has been an ambition of mine since i cant fly because of stomach problems,,

could anyone give me some info on this interview and also the job itself in general,,and pay/rostor all that kinf of stuff

thanks a lot

decy

ashishdt
21st May 2008, 11:56
Hi All,

My name is ashish from India,I used towork with an airline GSA in ground operations departement since 2 an half years howver salary is redicilous and there is no growth response so i want to get myself out of commercial operation to techinical operation, now am in interetsed in Flight Dispatcher( operations) and planning to go for the course from Dubai in Emirates Avaition college or in Germany.

Please anybody suggest from where should i take up the cousre and will
GCAA license give better opporunities as Flight Dispatcher.

Regards
Ashish
[email protected]

Lauderdale
21st May 2008, 16:12
There you go Decy! I bet the previous post was just what you were looking for reference your query! (....)

RollNow!
21st May 2008, 17:02
Might need armed intervention for that degree of "post hijacking" :D

As for interview tips ... im not working directly for an airline BUT i would just say KNOW the product. Show them why you want the job and back it up with research. I got asked a few ops questions when i went for my job. Just remember what your going to be doing and (for want of a better way of putting it) sell yourself as being bloody good at or at least potentialy bloody good at the job

I know thats very very basic but the amount of people i hear about turning up to interviews and knowing nothing as in not even the slightest thing about what they have applied for is scary! One person called ... our person said "which post are you looking to apply for" the guy on the phone replied "the one with the big boeings" Just dont say stuff like that! :{

decy
21st May 2008, 17:43
Well had my interview yesterday,,i better get the job after all the shi t that happened lol,,, drove 4 hours to dublin and my car breaks down,,,got it towed,,went to a bed and breakfast,,,,went to my interview for 10 and was kept waiting for 2 hours,,,,found out the fuel pump and fuel return mechanism is gone and is costin me 600 euro to fix,,,,so i got a flight home last nite and goin back up friday for the car,,,,as for the interview?? dont have a clue how it went i was so frustrated with everything

stanleysteamer
21st May 2008, 18:44
Well your question was not answered very well, I wish you luck in getting the job. I can not comment on Ryan Air, but I have worked in various Ops Centres over the last 20 years. I have travelled a lot, met a lot of people and had a good time, I hope you do too. Remember though if its all going well, thats your job, but when something goes wrong it will be Ops fault, thats just the job, you are in a bit of a goldfish bowl really everyone sees what is happening

desertopsguy
23rd May 2008, 16:42
I hope you like crew control!!

...cos this is where they'll put you.

No one EVER goes straight into ops in that place and you ALWAYS get thrown into crewing and there you will FESTER for months and months and perhaps even years until someone from ops actually leaves and even then you are NOT guaranteed to get a spot there.

Ryanair ops is a farce, (crap office, my bathroom is bigger) no breaks at all and zero training.

Bring your own lube (low cost n all that)

Have fun :ok:

decy
27th May 2008, 13:56
Hi desertopsguy,, i must say you dont paint a very good picture of the job,,i still havent heard anything,,still waiting patiently,,,does anybody know the salary for this position??,,they never told me.

desertopsguy
28th May 2008, 07:45
Sorry to rain on your parade man but I know someone who worked there, it was hell. Same guy not afraid of hard work but in there they're just understaffed and far overworked with no breaks. EZY has twice the no of staff, happy staff, they even have time for lunch. Buddy of mine is an FO with DUB base n he says the same.

If you want to make a start in the flt ops lark then I guess go for it.

decy
29th May 2008, 13:32
thats exactly it desertops,,i wanna make a start into flight ops,,been waitin for an opportunity for years,,they still havent called,,,they emailed yesterday sayin they are still interviewing,,wreckin my head,,,any info on salary for me??

desertopsguy
30th May 2008, 08:05
Something in the region of 25-30k but that's with some experience, it might be less for someone coming without it...

decy
30th May 2008, 10:52
thanks,,,ill only be starting out,,a brand new trainee so i dont know how much salary cud be,,,,i was supposed to find out today,,but now they tell me i wont find out till wednesday,,my head is seriously wrecked not knowing

top jock
30th May 2008, 14:39
Training is given by Fergus Lawless who knows his stuff. If you want to learn you will learn. It is not a great place to work and you never get a break in 12 hours but if you want to learn you are thrown in at the deep end and you will learn. You have too fast or you will be gone. The ops trainee is a new position so you will be well trained before you are put into a seat. They are trying to change things so it is not sink or swim for you.

decy
30th May 2008, 15:18
thanks top jock,,,so what should i be expecting if i get this position??

duties,,,where in the airport will my workplace be?? salary,,,and all that

i think this position would benefit me greatly in regards to progressing onto big things within aviation,, what do you think yourself topjock?? do you think its a top job in aviation??

and can i ask why you say it wont be a great place to work??

top jock
3rd Jun 2008, 12:44
I say it is not a great place to work because of the CEO. The operation is a good place to work. You would be based in the head office at Dublin airport. I do not know what your duties would be but i am sure you will find that out in the interview. The ops staff are on around 33,000 Euro a year and the controllers are on around 55,000 Euro a year.

You will work hard and learn alot which will help you in the future. If i was you i would take it as it will lead to better things in the future for you.

decy
3rd Jun 2008, 14:48
thanks for the great advice top jock,,i am serously surprised at the salary tho because of what cabin crew are making,,,thats a great salary i think,,,i thought it was goin to be very little,,,i will find out tomorrow if i get the position,,,my fingers have been crossed since the interview,,i really want this,,

would be a huge change in lifestyle as im used to bein a dj and not have to worry bout gettin up out of bed,,

thanks again for the advice

Lauderdale
3rd Jun 2008, 15:17
Hi Top Jock - when you say controllers earn €55k, are you reffering to Operations Controllers or Supervisors etc?

Because at today's rate €55k is about £43,200.00............that's an awful lot of money for an ops bod (at any level apart from Ops Manager).

If that is the case, where do I sign up??

:)

top jock
4th Jun 2008, 07:10
The controller runs the day to day operation. If you see how hard they work you will know it is not enough. There is also a bonus if you reach monthly targets but it is hard to get. I will give you an example, over XMAS last year they reached the target but MOL thought they had fixed the figures and had each member of staff interviewed to see who changed the figures around as he did not want to pay them the bonus they had worked hard for. That is the sort of crap which makes it not a nice place to work but you dont see him all the time so if you do get it you will have fun

Lauderdale
4th Jun 2008, 08:24
I will definately agree in regards to their work/practices standards......

However £43,200.00 for an Ops supervisor/controller - can anyone better that outhere in ops land??

I have already started looking at houses in the DUB area!

:ooh:

top jock
4th Jun 2008, 09:18
Even with that salary i would look just outside Dublin

decy
4th Jun 2008, 10:12
u know ur stuff top jock,,i wouldnt mind havin my training with you from the knowledge you have,, well today is supposed to be the day i find out so im waiting impatiently,,2 weeks is a long time to hear about a job,,especially one that youve been waitin for for a long time,,, still cant get over that salary,,must be different for trainee ops tho is it??

top jock
4th Jun 2008, 10:28
I would think it would be lower alright. Spent awhile in Ryanair so i know it very well. if you have any other questions PM me.

helo425
4th Jun 2008, 17:40
An RAF Ops Controller will make £43800 this year plus £3600 motor allowence, free uniform, £15000 non contributary pension, free medical and dental and a cheap 4 bed house as well.

The controlling is quite dynamic as well.

Awaits response:

decy
4th Jun 2008, 17:59
well they called me today around 5,,,,and i didnt get it,,im gutted,,seriously gutted:(

helo425
4th Jun 2008, 18:11
Sorry to hear that but Go on Decy Join up, Take the plunge.

You get paid extra for sandy holidays.

Helo425:ok:

Lauderdale
4th Jun 2008, 20:16
Thanks for that Helo - at least now I know where my taxes are going!

:(

helo425
4th Jun 2008, 21:17
Hey no problem Lauderdale.

Of course the money be to compensate for the 12 mths total in the desert being on the recieving end of aver 150 rocket attacks, sniped at 4 times, returned fire twice and managed to run an airport 12 hrs a day 7 days a week.

We do it because we care, Top Ops

Good look to all who do an under valued aviation role and are the first to be blamed when it goes wrong (Perhaps second after movers) be they civil or military.

Helo425

desertopsguy
7th Jun 2008, 14:45
Is there a more thankless job than ops?
If it goes wrong it's your fault, if it goes well you should have done it better :ugh: And the 'buachailli bo' in commercial/revenue etc rarely know how the airplanes work anyway..

Decy, if it's airline ops you're interested in then go get yourself an ops qualification it would give you an edge over other 'inexperienced' candidates.

The thing is now with all these airlines going down and about to go down, the ops, flight crew, etc will be like rats on burning ship heading for safety. So far the proverbial 'grass' is greener in the desert right now but not sure for how long.

Commiserations on the RYR job but it's not the only place to look for work, there are others if you're willing to move about a bit.

Keep pushing, something will come your way eventually.

D.O.G

Paddywacker
8th Jun 2008, 04:59
Hey Decy,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. If you were looking at doing a course for ops there is one in D.I.T. http://www.dit.ie/DIT/engineering/mechtransport/transport/evening_aero.html
I dont know if there any places running the same course down the country.

Paddywacker

decy
9th Jun 2008, 11:06
thanks very much paddywacker ill look into it now