PDA

View Full Version : Training Routes

jb2_86_uk
14th May 2008, 23:02
Noo, not the usual integrated vs modular debate ha ha. but I got you ready to shoot me down didnt I!? :}

During integrated or modular courses (doesnt matter which) - When it comes to the actual flight time, is it up to the student to plan an appropriate route? or are the routes set out by the FTO?

As a fresh faced, (very) excited newbie, I would love the idea of planning a flight to pass over my home town (approx 90 miles from training base) - well within the range of the aircraft I will be flying, however a HUGE fluke if it is covered in the pre-set routes!

Anyway, just a general wondering Ive had lately. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Thanks!

JB

preduk
15th May 2008, 11:21
Really deppends on the instructor. I've flown with around 5 different instructors and 3 of them never had a problem with it, however you need to remember that some areas are better for training than others.

For example, my instructor from Prestwick uses Turnberry area a lot which isn't anywhere near my home.

jb2_86_uk
15th May 2008, 12:23
Thanks preduk, Good to know it might be a possibility when I finally get into the air! :}

JB

Malcolm G O Payne
15th May 2008, 16:54
When I was instructing at Oxford a few years ago we had laid-down routes, each adding a new element. This was some ten years ago and with the change of owners this might have changed.