PDA

View Full Version : RAF aircrew orth-k

ItsAWingThing
14th May 2008, 15:51
hey guys, i was considering getting ortho-k (temporary contact lenses which remould your cornea) to get me through the aircrew medical but was wondering if theyd be able to tell.

i've heard of people passing the medical like this but am a bit dubious.

does the eye test involve any sort of procedure by which they would be able to tell that the procedure has been done?

any help and success/failure stories welcome....thnx

Elmlea
14th May 2008, 16:05
Yes, it does. You'll have to go through corneal mapping as part of the aircrew part 2 medical, where they'll be able to spot things like that relatively easily.

Time Flies
14th May 2008, 16:06
I'm no opthalmist but I do remember there being a Cornea Mapping procedure included in the rather lengthy eye test.

Added to the fact you've posted your question on a "not so anonymous" forum would mean you're probably sh!t out of luck.

Sentry Agitator
14th May 2008, 17:04
ItsAWing

I go to the opticians at Cranwell every 6 months for a contact lens check and each check is thorough. As the others have said I would say yes they would be able to tell.

However, as you are just in the process of applying it may be worth getting your AFCO to get in touch with the medical board and ask the right people for the right advice. It may/may not be possible for you to get corrective treatment done prior to final selection and initial officer training and certainly before you get to post grad training.

Your other posts state that you want to be an Officer and a pilot. To be blunt, your honesty/integrity may well be questioned during the selection process if you try to pull a fast one.

Good luck

SA

speeddial
14th May 2008, 18:53
Blimey if you had done something like that to your eyes I'd hope they would be able to tell, imagine if you had something wrong with your eyes, you'd be pretty upset if they hadn't looked enough to spot a problem.