PDA

View Full Version : Getting an RSA validation ?

Cableguy
14th May 2008, 08:27
Hello

Is there anyone on the forum who has had an ICAO licence validated by the SACAA in the last few weeks, and if so could you provide any insight into the procedure and pitfalls, time scale etc.

I have the AIC 30-7 ...07-03-16 but don't know if it's either current or being applied as written. First hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I have a job offer but don't want to resign my present position only to find the validation process is not workable for any reason.

Thank you....CG

Pandalet
14th May 2008, 09:07
I have a fair amount of experience getting a UK PPL(H) validated in SA (I'm just back from there, oddly enough), but I'm guessing you want to know about validating a CPL.

As far as I know, AIC 30.7 is current and correct, as it was what I used. I can give you the number of the very helpful lady in the SA CAA who deals with validations, if you want to ring up and ask.

In terms of timescale, once they have all the necessary paperwork (certified copies of various things, etc), it is generally a matter of days for them to issue licenses. My PPL(H) validation renewal took 2 working days from when they received the paperwork, and cost less than £20, for reference.

If you have any specific questions, drop me a PM and I`ll do my best to help.

Cableguy
14th May 2008, 09:23
Thank you Pandalet. I should have made it clear that it's for a pilot job on a larger helicopter. The operator thinks it should be a simple process, however I have had past experiences where the operator was overly optimistic regarding validations and the process took several (unpaid) weeks and I really want to try as much as possible to go in (if I do) with eyes fully open.
If you could email me the name of your contact I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you...CG

Outwest
14th May 2008, 16:39
Cableguy........make that call to the SACAA as the rules for FLV's have changed and very recently. AIC 18.38

The CAA still seem to be ironing out what the new requirements are, but it appears that it is going to be a bit harder to do than in the past.

Cableguy
15th May 2008, 06:23
Outwest..Things change pretty quick don't they?...I don't suppose you have a copy of the latest AIC you could email to me, I looked but didn't find...Thanks and rgds...CG

zimsean
15th May 2008, 06:25
You will have to do an airlaw and procedures exam and pass a flight test with a CAA examiner. They will then only allow one renewal after which you will have to write three exams in order to get you licence converted into a full SA one. Try calling Claudia in licencing +27 11 545 1000 (they take a while to answer) and she can give you more gen.

The validation is dependant on you foreign licence being current and they will only allow you to fly aircraft that you already have on your current licence. But otherwise the procedure is fairly painless. Good luck!

Outwest
15th May 2008, 16:08
Email sent Cableguy.....

Cableguy
15th May 2008, 20:12
Got it...Thanks Outwest