Some nice AAR footage on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNtmNkan4wY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srsMCJPTujE&feature=related

and some when it goes wrong. EEK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOaHGMEQ68&feature=related

Gainesy
12th May 2008, 14:26
Nice, anyone know what the music is in the second vid please?

TACAN
12th May 2008, 14:36
Second vid is accompanied by a VANGELIS track. Can't remember the title off hand but will check later if you still need to know :)

TAC

ZH875
12th May 2008, 14:51
"Dooby Dooby Doo, Dooby Dooby :mad: Doo"

'To the Unknown Man' - Vangelis.

I still hate that :mad: 12(B) Sqn Video.

The VC10 even looks good in the dark.

Lurking123
12th May 2008, 15:09
Those of us who joined the RAF in the early/mid 80's would have seen the precursor to the second video at our local CIO. ISTR it involved VC10s, Victors, Lightnings, Buccs, Jags, Harrier GR3s and exactly the same music.

Gainesy
12th May 2008, 15:11
ZH :) and thank you.

SirToppamHat
12th May 2008, 16:24
Those of us who joined the RAF in the early/mid 80's would have seen the precursor to the second video at our local CIO.

I certainly remember the music, but the main thing I remember about the video (I think!) was Buccs fling from Gib armed with Martel TVGMs. No doubt someone will tell me I am wrong.

Gainesy

Check your PMs.

STH

advocatusDIABOLI
13th May 2008, 18:13
Gents,

Respect for those Hornet guys. :ok: Very smooth and controlled contacts in what is, without doubt (in my opinion) the most difficult of tanking. ie "Donkey's Dick", from a KC135.

Actually, probably the most challenging thing you can ever do in a Tornado! (Not withstanding crashing it:ugh:)

Advo

Prat At The Back
17th May 2008, 18:18
PIO I suspect

Green Flash
17th May 2008, 18:22
Me no expert but I believe it's called 'chasing the hose'

BEagle
17th May 2008, 18:59
Interesting footage.

Most of the 'alarming' shots seem to involve the C-160 tanker and cowboy receivers. Although the last video shows what looks like poor hose tension control - presumably from some ancient Sargent Fletcher piece of sh...., piece of kit. As was also to be seen in another yoof-tube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGMlriUTab4 involving an AMX...

Because the refuelling operator failed to notice errant hose behaviour and stop the receiver, a contact was made against a hose whose tension control system had failed. Hence the hose whip and loss of drogue... The AMX ended up with a cracked canopy and a myriad of skin punctures from the 15m of steel wire still attached to the drogue.

In 20 years of AAR I only refused 1 receiver and almost another. The 'almost' was a Luftwaffe Tornado ECR which developed a severe roll divergence - we later established it was the squadron boss who had been 'too busy' to attend the briefing..:hmm: The one I did refuse was a FAF Mirage over Chateauroux, who had no idea what the signal lights meant...

AAR needs to be formal as it is the only routinely flown formation exercise which doesn't require a pre-flight formation brief. So everyone must stick to the rules - unlike that tw.at rolling inverted off the Transall.

The world's only 21st century probe and drogue tanker in service, the A310MRTT, has a very stable drogue system thanks to extensive aerodynamic improvements developed by Elbeflugzeugwerke during the early flight test campaign. Unlike that ridiculously nutating C-160 hose.....

As for the CH-53? Yes, a PIO after a 'basket chase'. Fortunately the Spams make those aircraft out of strong stuff, so he didn't lose a blade and die.

MrBernoulli
18th May 2008, 09:07
BEagle, what is a "A310MRTT"? Sounds like a model of car that a hairdresser would drive ........ :ok:

BEagle
18th May 2008, 13:14
Oi, MrB, are you casting nasturtiums at my supercharged Teutonic tourer? Although I know little of hairdressers, I'd rather drive a reliable 354 bhp Tcherman Wunderwagen than some product of the British boilermaking industry made largely of wood with various flapping canvas bits - and which is as likely as not to expire in a cloud of steam after depositing pieces of oily pig iron on the Queen's highway when required to attempt a journey longer than down to whichever nearby pub still serves 'real ale' with bits of wood floating in it!

And it doesn't have pink seats. Not at all - they're 'Designo Bordeaux' according to Mercedes :rolleyes:!

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, this is an A310MRTT:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/mrtt2.jpg

Green Flash
18th May 2008, 13:56
'real ale' with bits of wood floating in it

BEags - it's something to chew on! A meal in a pint! Just watch out for splinters the morning after:eek:

FOGII
18th May 2008, 15:16
The first two times in Ch-53Es it was the same pilot. First time he was under instruction as a co-pilot. The second time he had just become an instructor in helo A/R and was demonstrating.

I’ve seen the photos of one probe. The rotors missed the hose but chopped off the probe which was brought back by the KC-130.

S/F, FOG