PDA

View Full Version : 737NG LNAV & VNAV Hand Flying

zalman
12th May 2008, 13:16
Hi I am struggling to fly it accurately once I disconnect and upon departure. Can anybody give me some pointers to make my life easier. It is my first jet BTW.

Thanks!

Tmbstory
12th May 2008, 13:31
Zalman

Try and keep your thinking ahead of the aircraft. It should help with your performance when hand flying.

Tmb

rjay259
12th May 2008, 13:31
All I can say is practise and practise more, also making sure you follow the flight director as acurately as possible. Make sure the thing is in trim and just keep at it.

Do remember that the F/D will want to follow the speed very carefully so try not to over work it but apart from that practice.

If anyone else has anything.

Good luck

RAT 5
12th May 2008, 17:14
Zalman:

VNAV: as said quite correctly, TRIM TRIM TRIM! Power is at a constant, assuming a continuous climb, so pitch is controlling speed. Make a note of what pitch is common at different levels. Fly arm rests down and adjust so that your elbows are on the arm rests and your fingers reach the lower corenrs of the yoke. This way you fly gently and sensitively from your wrists and fingers tips. Tiny blips of trim as necessary. If you grip the top of the yoke your elbow comes off the arm rest and you grip too tightly and fly from your shoulder. Not sensitive. Centre the pitch bar and keep it there. A small devistion will increase if ignored. Gently change attitude to a sensible one and the FD will adjust to you. If to allow the FD to show a large attitude change you will end up in a porpoise. Remember it is not an attitude command all the time, but sometimes an error/deviation indicator, in simple tirms.

LNAV: scan the map and then you can anticipate the turns (change in HDG) that the FD is going to give you in a few seconds. Being a few seconds ahead of the a/c is way better than being a few seconds behind it. I found it useful to lead the FD by a couple of seconds and so roll on bank smoothly, gradually increasing it to keep the FD centred.

Bon Vol.

despegue
12th May 2008, 19:57
Put that Flight Director OFF and fly the aircraft anticipating.
In order to fly an accurate route, look trough the magenta cross.