PDA

View Full Version : Australia or Europe

Pedro__90
11th May 2008, 11:22
Hey everyone,

First time post, so please go easy. :D
I have a few questions... I live in Australia, am 17 years old and about to finish year 12. I'm an aspiring pilot and would like to know where is better to train to become one. I am considering either Sydney where i live or in Portugal as I have family there. I do have the right to live and work there as I am a citizen. I was wondering which place is better to undertake the course and where there are more job opportunities.

Peto
14th May 2008, 09:07
Have you considered training in Australia (Perth) for a European JAA licence? See www.waaviationcollege.com.au :ok:

Pedro__90
14th May 2008, 09:16
After the completion of the course at that school, would I be able to work in Europe and Australia or just Europe?

Peto
15th May 2008, 08:24
The course is designed to qualify you for JAR licence :ok:so you would be able to work in JAA member states only. Post course you could do a licence conversion from JAR to Aus which involves an AIR Law exam and a flight test.

redsnail
15th May 2008, 10:06
Ola or G'day Pedro :ok:

What you decide to do is dependent on where you want to work and live. If you haven't read the D&G threads about the pilot shortage in Australia, I suggest you do so. For the first time there's a huge shortage of pilots to fly the regional turboprops.

There's a few schemes running around to get people flying so I'd investigate them. At the moment, I'd avoid the Rex scheme. Have a good look at the Qantas scheme.

Hopefully, by the time you've finished training the jobs will still be around. Either way, you're young enough to weather the down turns that hit with alarming regularity every 7-10 years.

Before going to the great expense of shifting continents, have a good look at what Australia can offer.