PDA

View Full Version : Flying in China

knox
11th May 2008, 08:24
Hi all.
I'm heading over to China for a holiday in a few months time and would like to do some flying whilst there, however i'm finding it very difficult to find any flight schools/clubs - and yes i have googled extensively.
I'll mainly be in the Shanghai region with trips to south China also planned.

Can someone please give me any info or even better some contacts in China for this kind of activity.

Cheers

Knox.

Fareastdriver
11th May 2008, 20:15
No chance. There are no flight schools or any private flying of the type you are familiar with in China, even if there was it would take you an age to get a Chinese endorsment to your western licence.

Just forget about it. China is not geared for private flying.

knox
11th May 2008, 22:55
Not after a Chinese endo on my license. Quite happy to do a dual flight with an instructor.

Knox.

Inigo Montoya
12th May 2008, 01:03
Knox, as Fareastdriver said, there is basically no chance for you to do that in China. Especially if by "in a few months time" you mean around the Olympics. The flight schools that are established, training airline cadets, can barely even get in the air at the moment and it's only going to get worse as August nears.

I once heard of a flying club near Shanghai, but I'm not sure if it still exists nor if they would even offer a service like that. I think, if it's still there, it's just a place for people to park aircraft for the rumored/proposed 2010 opening of the skies. South China is supposedly more "open", but still not for that sort of activity. Of course, I can always stand to be corrected.

VRSCSE2
12th May 2008, 06:56
You would have to get permission from the Chinese AirForce.
They control everything.
I'll see if I can find their number in the phone book. :ok:

Dream Land
12th May 2008, 09:08
Why would you want to fly there anyway? :yuk:

Mario Brothers
12th May 2008, 10:38
Sorry, my friend, but I unfortunately work for the largest 141 school in the country, and we are certified pilots here. It takes us days, if not weeks, just to get a clearance to fly in the circuit. I've never heard of anyone renting an aircraft if China.

As for contacting the military, anything is possible with the correct amount of Reminbi!!!! If you are successful, I'd bring my gas mask for the pollution, and make sure your instrument current, because you won't see a damn thing the whole time your flying because of the smog!!!

ATC communication here is limited to the following two words - "standby" and "cannot."

Good luck!

ltjng
12th May 2008, 11:31
Well, knox.....since you heard so many negatives from other guys, which are bascially true. I would like to offer you an option.

There are 2 flying clubs in the east and down south that may satisfy your flying passion. One may only do local air work in the training area, while the other may (I mean MAY) offer some kind of nav flying.

PM me if you are interested.