PDA

View Full Version : A320 Horizontal Stablizer Dents 'n Dings

Cardinal
10th May 2008, 21:19
Anybody else noticed how hammered these get after a few years? Snow, rocks, who knows what else seem to get tossed at the leading edge by the main gear.

Any estimates as to the fuel burn impact of significat irregularities in the leading edge? My company has been on a quest to save every ounce (milliliter?) of fuel, to the point that 10 pounds per leg is considered "significant." Any input?

N1 Vibes
10th May 2008, 23:47
turbine blades can make quite a nasty dent! :ugh:

(sorry)

Cardinal
11th May 2008, 00:43
A "furry" LCC.

the rim
11th May 2008, 01:52
yes even on this side of the world.... godz own .... they are dented that leading edge strip can be changed but with lcc's i think the replacement would be more than the fuel burn...i think most of the small ding's are not in the airflow so most would not matter...

lomapaseo
11th May 2008, 03:35
Soft body dents are typically from ice or birds. Dents predominately on one side are usually traceable to leaking water drains.

Birds struck at speeds above 150 kts have been known to cause small dents for birds weighing a half kilo or more.

Dents with creases or gouges are typically your service to aft galleys, etc. Stuff off the gear typically won't get raised up that far (depending on A/C).

Seen lots, but never recall a problem.

If you want to save fuel that much then power wash off the bug chiten or hire some cheap 3rd world labour force to wipe down the bottom of your plane.

airfoilmod
11th May 2008, 15:24
I think it would depend on loading. For those who drop AOA a tick by aft loading and get a bit more "bang" for their Fuel buck by flying with tail, the difference in drag at the leading edge of the HS depends to some extent whether (or how much) the wing in back is helping support the venture.

Airfoil