PDA

View Full Version : Routing to Glenforsa

modelman
10th May 2008, 17:51
I am planning to fly (VFR so wx permitting) to Glenforsa at the end of the month from Cov.Will stop at Carlisle for fuel and then o/h Bute via the corridor betwixt Prestwick and Glasgow.Advice please on which of those two to talk to.

Thanks
MM

dont overfil
10th May 2008, 18:27
I would suggest talking to Prestwick first. They will hand you over to Glasgow if neccessary.
Don't worry, they are all very friendly and will usually give you clearance through the zones if you need to
DO

Scottishjockey
10th May 2008, 18:49
I remember the days either out of Glasgow or Prestwick or from the South Scottish would care for you until you lost them then it was blind blind blind... how I wish I was home

Lurking123
10th May 2008, 21:10
Don't bother with Glasgow. I would recommend the following route. From Prestwick (you can normally get through the overhead), just South of Bute, Lochgilphead, Kilmahuaig, Easdale, Torasay Castle. Preswick will give you to Scottish Info but you will lose these chaps near Lochgilphead. Give Oban a quick call about 20nm South and the will let Scottish Info know that all is fine. If you're really keen on staying on the radio (rather than admiring the fantastic scenery), you will only be out of RT for about 10-15 minutes.

One final thing. I don't know what you are flying, but I would recommend refuelling at Prestwick. That will give you a good hour's worth of gas that you wouldn't have having filled-up at Carlisle. For most GA aircraft, the Prestwick - Glenforsa leg is about 45 minutes.

youarealoooser
10th May 2008, 21:14
118.05 for Oban and then the safety com freq for Mull. Use Scottish info from the FIR boundary. They're very good.

fisbangwollop
10th May 2008, 21:31
On departure from carlisle you should be advised to call Scottish info on 119.875. we will give you a FIS and pass your details to EGPK, they will provide a service till you pass Bute then hand back to Scottish for the final leg. At Scottish I would then pass your details to Oban and advise that you call them on 118.050 as you cross the Firth of lorne. have a safe trip and look forward to speaking to you!

Oldpilot55
11th May 2008, 13:18
Fisbangwallop will correct me if I'm wrong but by the time you get low and close to Oban Scottish tends to get obscured by the hills.

fisbangwollop
11th May 2008, 14:48
Scottish will lose you if 2000' and below within 15-20 miles of Oban. I generally ask aircraft to report abeam Lochgilphead and then transfer to Oban in that position. If not too busy we will pass details to Oban so they are expecting your call..........VHF is line of sight and around the hills one cannot expect great coverage, the FIR sector has transmitters on Lowther hill SW Scotland, Craigowl hill near Leuchars and Windy head up on the moray coast.

Rod1
11th May 2008, 16:21
Just got back from Mull/Oban having started in Staffordshire. Routed through the LLR. Then DCS, TRN, Bute, Oban. Lots of haze so the VOR’s took the pressure of the navigation. Very easy route, most of which was flown at 4000 ft.

Rod1

modelman
11th May 2008, 19:31
Thank you for all your input,really looking forward to this trip,praying to the weather gods for a good few days.
Will be using a C172N btw.

MM

PPRuNe Radar
12th May 2008, 09:49
Fuel is also available at Oban if you need it.

If dropping in to Prestwick, make sure that you tell ATC you want to park on Apron E. There you can get fuel from the Prestwick Flight Centre, as well as a vastly reduced landing fee (around £12 I think).

modelman
12th May 2008, 21:16
I've been looking (again!) at my routing,with a particular eye on fuel planning.I can only do the calcs at the moment based on zero wind and 4 hours to empty.Looking at 1.5 hrs to Carlisle,refuel to max,1.5 hours to Glenforsa leaving 2.5 hours in the tanks.This way we will be landing reasonably light at Glenforsa.
Possible options for the return leg (which my buddy will be P1 but we always agree a plan beforehand)
Option 1:Favourable wind,hop over to Oban,fill up and back to Cov in one go.As we get further south,quite a few options for refuel if forecast winds incorrect.
Option 2:Unfavourable winds,back to Carlisle ( or maybe Oban to fill right up and refuel again somewhere along the way to arrive back at Cov with a reasonable reserve.

MM

dan design
14th May 2008, 08:24
Rumour has it that the a/g operators at Oban are advising visitors to go to Islay (!) to fuel rather than do it at Oban and that the re-fueller may not be about anyway.

Modelman, so that you can make informed, sensible decisions about your trip please be clear that fuel is ALWAYS available at Oban. You should contact TLC on 07770620988 or 01631 710888 to let Paul know when you are coming.

Enjoy your flight!

Rod1
14th May 2008, 09:54
“This way we will be landing reasonably light at Glenforsa.”

Glenforsa has over 700m of good quality grass; your 172 should have no problem with this. Oban is less than 10 min flying time away and if your machine is cleared for mogas it is possible to get it on MULL with a little forward planning.

Assuming you work on a 45 min reserve overhead Cov will it really take you more than 3:15?

The weather in Scotland is rarely good on both the East and West sides. You may find traveling up the east side is less pain VFR than crossing over.

I am going to Oban at the end of the month, so if I can be of any help with planing send me a PM.

Rod1

fisbangwollop
14th May 2008, 20:36
If you require an update of weather at Oban, call scottish info on 119.875 before you get to Carlisle, you can generally get good 2 way contact 30 miles south of carlisle, Either myself or one of my oppo's will oblige.....have a safe trip and enjoy the beauty of flying over Scotland.Look forward to speaking to you.:ok:

modelman
14th May 2008, 21:40
Assuming you work on a 45 min reserve overhead Cov will it really take you more than 3:15?

Don't know yet until I add in the winds of the day,but all comments are appreciated.This feels like a big adventure for this low hours PPL although my buddy is highly experienced.
The weather in Scotland is rarely good on both the East and West sides. You may find traveling up the east side is less pain VFR than crossing over.
Rod1,don't quite understand your meaning as I need to be on the west side:confused:

Planned route:Cov-TNT VOR-POL VOR-Carlisle-Bute-Mull (over the islands if wx is really good,follow the coast if not so great)

MM