PDA

View Full Version : Taking Dogs Abroad in a GA Aircraft

Julian
10th May 2008, 13:59
Having not had a holiday last year due to the fact we have dogs the missus has suggested going to France in the aircraft and taking them with us. Our dogs are fully vacinated, chipped and have their pet passports.

Having never taken pets abroad even via a commercial airline, has anyone here taken their dogs abroad? Is it as straightforward as just going through customs at the airport or is their more of a long winded procedure to the whole affair?

Our aircraft is based at Doncaster, in case this has any bearing such as having to stop off prior to departing the UK for any customs requirements.

Any advice greatfully recieved as I keep her happy and also get a holiday and do some flying :)

J.

niknak
10th May 2008, 14:14
It's not taking them that's a problem, it's what faces you when you come back.
The mutts Julian may be chipped, vaccinated to oblivion and have multiple passports, but rabies is alive and well in many parts of France and despite your doggies qualifications, you may have to leave them in quarantine for a couple of months when you get back.

Leave them in a top hounds hotel in Yorkshire while you do the same in France, they'll have a good time, so will you and they'll be very pleased to see you when you get back.

Julian
10th May 2008, 14:42
I would love to but unfortunately the wife has a 'thing' about putting dogs in kennels! Personaly I have no problem with them and have tried to reason with her but to no avail....hence asking the question on here :(

Is quarentine still required when bringing them back from France/Europe? I thought that was the whole idea of the pet passport? If so then sounds like back to square one!

J.

Pilotdom
10th May 2008, 15:57
I leave my Labrador here.....

http://www.mypetstop.co.uk/

Its more like a hotel than a kennel. She absolutley loves going there, and we normaly book her in for a bath for a fiver one day and she loves that aswell. It may seem expensive, but my dog is worth it.

kms901
10th May 2008, 16:57
I've done this to Italy. You can only do it at certain airports, and you need sign off by a local vet within 24 hours of your intended return time.

stickandrudderman
10th May 2008, 16:57
You need to check with the vet.
AFAIK you have to submit the dog to a local (France or wherever you are)vet for examination and certification 24hrs prior to returning to the UK.
I have the same problem but since the dog chewed the seat belts in a rented Cirrus last year it's been a sore point!!

Islander2
10th May 2008, 17:16
The Pet Travel Scheme, which allows pets to be brought into the UK without a quarantine period, is not valid for use by private boat or plane. You have use a Defra-approved carrier.

See here (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/Procedures/Support-info/routes.htm)

Redbird72
10th May 2008, 17:18
The DEFRA pet travel scheme allows you to return to the UK from an approved country (EU plus some more) without requiring quarantine - the required vaccs include rabies, plus blood tests to prove that sufficient immunity is present.

However this site (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/routes.htm) states ...

Routes and transport companies

[...]

You may not bring a pet into the UK from a private boat or plane.

So if your dog travels with you, it will be via the eurotunnel, a ferry or (if you have tons of cash to spare) a commercial flight.

We let our dog's passport lapse, the costs and legalities (and the fear of something going wrong and her ending up in quarantine) were such that we now use a fantastic sitter instead. Dog likes the sitter more than us ... :(

homeguard
10th May 2008, 17:22
Islander2 beat me to it but here is the actual words from the DEFRA website.

PETS: Dogs, cats and ferrets

Routes and transport companies;

You may use any of the routes and transport companies on the following lists to bring your dog, cat or ferret into the UK under the Scheme, subject to the transport company’s agreement. All companies have been approved by Defra to carry dogs, cats and ferrets but not all may wish to carry ferrets. There may also be a limit to the total number of animals that a company will permit to travel on each boat or aircraft. Check with the company before booking your tickets that they are prepared to carry your pet.

You may not bring a pet into the UK from a private boat or plane.

I too would like to take our dog in the aeroplane but there you go.

Piper.Classique
10th May 2008, 19:57
So if your dog travels with you, it will be via the eurotunnel, a ferry or (if you have tons of cash to spare) a commercial flight.
Dunno about that. Our hound came to Poland with us last year in a nice big travelling cage, cost about 30 euros return Orly to Prague (yes, I know Prague isn't in Poland but it was nearest airport), heated hold, brought to us as we walked off the aircraft at Prague. At Orly on the return he had to ride the carousel but that didn't seem to bother him any. He had room to lie down, turn around. More than we did! Happy dog, SkyEurope looked after him well, let him stay with us upto the last minute before boarding and I will cheerfully use them again any time we travel with pets. The other good guys for pets are Speed Ferries. Interesting, the cheap guys are making an effort.......None of the major carriers were the least bit helpful but we got a rock bottom price and five star service. Same for the car hire, cheapest quote got us friendly and professional service.

scooter boy
10th May 2008, 22:59
Took Percy the (minature) poodle (form Louisville KY) to Las Vegas to celebrate the millenium (in the cabin of a commercial flight). He found the in flight cuisine rather tasty and delighted us with some very special fragrances all the way home.

Took 7 UK cats to Perugia in Italy last year (GA aircraft) for an emigree friend.
Italians were totally laid back, the 6 female cats slept all the way, the one male cat was more anxious but all got there safe and sound.

SB says "Dogs and cats on the same flight = potential trouble".

Applecore
11th May 2008, 07:34
Seem to read about A and B list Celebs travelling with their mini-pooches all the time on private jets?

Redbird72
11th May 2008, 08:40
Dunno about that. Our hound came to Poland with us last year in a nice big travelling cage, cost about 30 euros return Orly to Prague

Things have improved a lot then. A couple of years ago I was quoted 380 quid for a european journey! Perhaps the UK pet travel scheme is so expensive to administrate, that the airlines have to surcharge?

Redbird72
11th May 2008, 08:43
Seem to read about A and B list Celebs travelling with their mini-pooches all the time on private jets?

That's perfectly OK, as long as the flight is within the UK or is completely outside the UK. The DEFRA rules only restrict pet travel entering the UK from abroad.

In the US they even have a dedicated pet airline!

Julian
11th May 2008, 09:15
Thanks guys, some good info! Looks like I am going to have try and explain kennels again ... or end up at Centre Parcs :)

Sticknrudder - made me smile, we have 4 dogs and unfortunately 2 havent got out of the chewing habit yet. Dont think the other group members would be too impressed if that happened!!!

J.

pistongone
11th May 2008, 10:22
How about a compromise with the wife? Agree with her that putting the dog in kennells is bad for him etc. Then explain that due to the requirements of DEFRA,"Must use dedicated carrier, no private boats, planes is correct", she can drive over in the car with the dog, and you meet the other side with the plane! Once in Schengen land you can all get on the plane and go where ever you want! And i bet you can park the car at Calais or L2k for free! Its a win win situation, you show compasion for the dog, good point, and you get to take the plane, very good point!!

Julian what plane do you have? As with 4 dogs i hope its a big one:}

Julian
11th May 2008, 10:31
We have an Arrow IV, they are toy poodles so can easily get 4 on the back seat :)

J.

fernytickles
11th May 2008, 13:30
How about a dog/house sitter rather than kennels? My sister just spent 2 weeks abroad, and a very brave house sitter coped admirably with her 4 dogs, 12 cats & 2 horses while she was away..... Kennels were not even an option....

Although it is much more fun to be able to take the dog/s along. But then what do you do about eating in restaurants, finding pet friendly hotels etc. Not impossible to deal with but it does add to the complication factor.