PDA

View Full Version : One school on your CV?

BRS_flyer
9th May 2008, 13:56
I am about to start a modular course of flight training and just planning the hows and wheres.

Someone at a major flight school told me that it looks better on a CV if you only have one school for all your training (with the possible expeption of PPL and distance ATPL's). They even said that most CV's from low hour guys with more than 2 schools end up straight in the bin.

I know that given who said it, I should take it with a large pinch of salt, but it did get me thinking and would appreciate some other opinions on how important this is.

Thanks in advance

Lawn Mower
9th May 2008, 14:27
Who said that then? This whole "one school on cv" thing I have heard many times, however the only places I have heard it where from the mouth's of flying schools, who lets face it are staffed by people who a) want your money and b) generally have no experience of flying beyond light-twins.

Think about it, can u think of a logical reason why an airline would prefer one school to be on the cv? If I were a chief pilot id be looking at more important things, such as number of hours, life experience etc. I wouldn't dismiss someone purely on the basis that they did their CPL at say Bristol and IR at say Stapleford.

Then again im not a chief pilot, maybe one day though.:E

Obs cop
9th May 2008, 15:00
Hi,

I am aware that Flybe for one "prefer" modular students to have completed the CPL and IR at one school. Quite simply it is much easier for them to then contact the respective school to get hold of a copy of your training notes. I havn't heard of any other airline explicitly stating that requirement however.

I understand they are not too bothered about where you did PPL or Theory stuff however.

Regards,

Obs cop

IRISHPILOT
9th May 2008, 15:09
And then most airlines outside the UK don't care. Some prefer if you have experience flying in several continents (most longhaul), so it is a good thing if you did some training in the US or Down Under or SA.

Many countries do not have one provider of ATPL groundschool and all flight training together, so you simply cannot do all with one school... These people get jobs too.

I have never been asked about this in any interview, and I have done several, including in the UK.

If you ask small schools, that do not offer the full package, and they advise you not to go with them but a full service provider, then listen. Otherwise it is just to sell their product.

cheers IP

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 17:07
Hey there,

I don't think it actually matter that you'll have few schools on your CV. For the airline or any other employee it matter that you've passed, you've got the qualifications, you know what to do. I dont think it matter to them that you've done your PPL at Glasgow, ATPL in Dundee and CPL down London. What matters is that you've tried your best to achieve it and you've achieved it!

Im starting my PPL at Edinburgh Flying Club (I will be trying add my night qualifications to PPL at this chool is well.).. mostly because of its location and to be honest its quite cheap. Then I will be starting the ATPL theory, probably in Glasgow on full time or either distance learning.. but i think il choose full time as I need to understand it all and I need someone to explain every little bit of it to me because I need to be sure I understand it all. I don't know yet what about my CPL. I was thinking of doing the CPL, IR, MCC and few other ratings at Tayside Aviation.. and thinking of doing my PPL there is well.. Ohh.. Ive got another two or three months to decide.. but i'l definately have at least 2 schools in my CV, it will definately be tayside aviation and glasgow neutical college.. don't know what about Edinburgh just yet, anyways my point is.. it doesnt matter where you do it, it matters that you've achieved it :)

BRS_flyer
9th May 2008, 18:05
Thanks all for your responses, Just as I suspected.

Obs Cop: Flybe is one that I am particually keen on, so that is good to know. Was planning on doing CPL/IR at the same school, so thats even better.

Jodiekeyz
9th May 2008, 18:20
Personally if certain other avenues don't work out i'm going to do my ppl and hour building then i am going to go to OAA to do their Waypoint program.

Capt Ian cheese is the only person i have ever heard say that but it makes sense.

Adios
9th May 2008, 18:30
I spoke to a FlyBe recruiter recently and asked him how many schools they allow and why. First, they don't care where you do the PPL and hour building. That could be FTO 1. They recognize that there are good schools that do nothing but ATPL theory, BGS for example. That could be School 2. They then expect you to do the CPL, ME and IR at a single FTO, number 3. Finally, they recognize that some FTOs don't offer an MCC, so you can do that elsewhere at FTO 4.

I asked him why they are concerned about this and he said, "it is because you can hide character flaws if you only spend a few weeks in an FTO, but when you spend several months there, they will come out. Indeed, he even said that when they see someone who jumps around a lot, they have to wonder if it is because that person doesn't get on well anywhere.

Finally, I asked him why they use so many FTO's for their cadet programmes and he said because they want a well rounded roster and don't want all their eggs in one basket.

bajadj
9th May 2008, 18:46
Jodiekeyz, that was exactly what I was planning to do. However, having almost completed my residential groundschool at OAA I've decided not to do the waypoint part (as have the majority of my groundschool course). The first reason is cost. It really is at least a third more expensive than anywhere else and almost double the cost of where i have chosen to do my training. The second reason is also cost!!! If you don't complete in minimum hours the cost of an hour in a seneca is about £420. The third reason is the seneca itself. I can't understand why anyone would want to pay more for a seneca than a twinstar.

In my opinion the groundschool at OAA is ok. There are some absolutely amazing groundschool instructors (most of which will also advise you not to do waypoint!) but things are getting really stretched in terms of numbers there.

My opinion is only as valid as the next blokes, but I am a currently OAA modular, my advice would be to talk to as many OAA mods as you can and make up your own mind, and make sure you talk to the modular guys, the integrated course is completely different. As a mod you are definitely second class at OAA and anyone trying to flannel you otherwise isn't being truthful!

Jodiekeyz
10th May 2008, 07:38
cheers bajadj i was actually just looking for their name on my CV but food for thought...:ok:

colette
10th May 2008, 13:29
Hey sorry to thread jump here,

Daria-ox, glasgow arent running the atpls anymore, I was due to start full time there last week and received a letter a couple months back saying it was cancelled and they wont be running anymore courses! There's a thread on here about it too. Luckily had a couple of back up plans that are a bit cheaper :cool: