PDA

View Full Version : Are LCC's ruining avaition

A T Lascart
8th May 2008, 23:36
OK I'm a bit of a avaition snob, I have never travelled on FR or EZY but I believe they and other LCC's are going to be the the downfall of airtransport as a means of getting from a to b in comfort and safety.

They are driving down prices which ultimately drives down employee wages and restricts development and modernisation of airports. I'm reliably informed there are a couple of ground handling agents close to going to the wall due to solely to costs verses earnings. There are more people travelling which should mean a bumper time for airports, ground handling and catering companies, but due to the onset of low cost airlines the revenue is not there to sustain healthy margins for the avaiation support companies.

Staff wages in ground support roles are poor in comparison to other industries, which leads to a high turnover of staff who are poorly trained as companies will not invset in staf if a) they leave after a short while and b) they are not getting the income required to retain quality staff. Ultimately this will become a safety issue, even the cabin crews are are worked tirelessly doing multi sector flights and not even getting inhouse training.

Stelios and O'Leary will have a lot to answer for in the future, when the only choice you'll have is EZY or FR then lets see if they are really low cost........ just take a look at Tesco or Asda kill off the opposition then pretend you are the cheapest

boredcounter
9th May 2008, 00:18
'OK I'm a bit of a avaition snob, I have never travelled on FR or EZY but I believe they and other LCC's are going to be the the downfall of airtransport as a means of getting from a to b in comfort and safety.'

Define 'Safety' as you mention it?

9th May 2008, 07:17
So the company you fly for is a charity is it? :rolleyes:

FR and EZY spotted a gap in the market and as a result have become the two most dominant operators around Europe.

You don't get to that position at the expense of safety and they've both been around long enough to prove this.

Euroboy39
9th May 2008, 08:52
Yes, you are an aviation snob. I advise that you travel EZ, FR, LS, WW etc, before you condemn them all as unsafe and awful. They are really not.

The choice to fly the legacies is still there (in fact, who operate more competitively themselves THANKS to the locos), but it is a simple case of free market. If there is demand for high level service (I'm not talking safety), then these companies will attract business and make profit. If not, they will adapt their product or go bust.

It seems like we've had this debate a million times before in this forum. Airlines set out to meet demand in order to turn a profit. The "ruining" of the industry could only be considered the consumers' fault, rather than the airlines who have exploited these niches.

I do wish EZ would change its livery though! Their new grey and orange corporate colours would look brilliant on their A319s!

jetsetwilly
9th May 2008, 08:56
Sorry...

'AVIATION'

Can we take this joker for real when the subject matter cannot be spelt properly???

JSW.

fullrich
9th May 2008, 09:24
Sorry...

'AVIATION'

Can we take this joker for real when the subject matter cannot be spelt properly???

JSW.
Today 09:52

Sure we can. A simple spelling mistake. Have you any comments on the content?

PIK3141
9th May 2008, 16:21
A T Lasart.

Five or so years ago 2 of us had to travel Glasgow to Stockholm on business. All day to get there GLA - MAN - Stockholm. Meeting next day.
Third day to get home via MAN to GLA. Cost £800 for the two of us.

Now - Ryanair PIK - nonstop evening flight to Stockholm Scavsta 4 hours home to hotel. Meeting next day, fly home afterwards. Cost, just over £80 for the two of us.

Get it ?

And who are you to question safety on LCC's ?

Cloud1
9th May 2008, 16:25
In answer to the question you put forward; no. Aviation is a dog eat dog world and its part and parcel of it I am afraid, whether we like it or not. In the end, it is the passengers who decide.

Higher Archie
9th May 2008, 18:46
On Legacy Carriers, as a pax, do you really get what you pay for when flying short-haul?

For example, say on a flight from the UK to Europe in Business Class, the price of a return ticket could be £700 compared to a LCC price of £200. For the £500 difference, this could cover; flexible bookings, a free copy of The Times, a priority check-in, a free G&T, a wider seat, a free breakfast and a flimsy curtain to separate you from the rif-raf.

Of course sitting at the front of the aircraft will get the premium pax to their destination earlier, by about 20 feet ...

As Sir MB once said 'in the real world, would you really pay £10 for a newspaper?' The lo-co's don't think so, and so they have been successful