PDA

View Full Version : ESA Looking for Astronauts... Pilots May Apply

VinRouge
8th May 2008, 20:42
FAQs: Qualifications and skills required

What are the required disciplines and qualifications to apply? What should I study? Typically, candidates should be knowledgeable in the scientific disciplines and should have demonstrated outstanding abilities in appropriate fields, preferably including operational skills. Applicants must have a university degree (or equivalent*) in Natural Sciences (physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics), Engineering or Medicine, and preferably at least three years of related postgraduate professional experience, or flying experience as a pilot. It is a strong asset, but not mandatory, to have studied aeronautics and astronautics. Above all: no matter what you have studied, you should be good at it.
I don’t speak English, should I apply?
Applicants must be able to speak and write English, and it is an advantage to know another foreign language.
I don’t speak Russian, should I apply?
Yes, speaking Russian is an asset but not a requirement. This is the second official language aboard the ISS, so you will learn it during astronaut training.
Anyone up for it?

www.esa.int (http://www.esa.int)

Typical CV:
http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0EUZUMOC_astronauts_0.html

AdanaKebab
8th May 2008, 21:14
I always knew pilots were Space Cadets! :} :} :}

Capt Pit Bull
9th May 2008, 08:32
I've said it before, I'll say it again....

Rocket science is easy, its just Newtons 3rd Law.

Rocket engineering on the other hand it quite challenging ;)

pb

esa-aardvark
9th May 2008, 08:52
As long time retired ex-Esa (not astronaut !), I can highly recommend them as an
employer. If you are employed you will, at least in my experience, not experience
any of the horror stories about pay and conditions (ie JPA ?) that I have seen on
Pprune. Astronaut centre is (was?) in Bremen, but I would expect there would be
a serious amount travel to Russia, USA, and the other ESA centre's.

I would highly recommend ESA as an employer.
(of course getting selected as an astronaut will be hard, and so will the training
be, not to mention the risks of the missions.) :ok:

davejb
9th May 2008, 16:31
Also Newton's 2nd law, of course.