PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between first time pass and first series pass on the IR?

airbuslit
8th May 2008, 16:19
Thats my question. Apologies if this is a really dumb question but I've always heard people talking about a first series pass - so does that mean you can have a partial fail first time round and then completely pass on another attempt resulting in a first series pass or am I completely up the wrong tree?

And also do airlines care about this?

Many thanks!

woskam
8th May 2008, 16:27
As far as I'm aware you're spot on. I was told by Cabair and OAT/OAA that airlines will *generally* look for a first series pass, and at worst a second series pass.

billybuds
8th May 2008, 18:51
Dead right,

And I am pretty sure, similar to the CPL skills test, you only have to re-do the parts that you failed on the first attempt

3Greens
8th May 2008, 19:27
first time pass is everything is passed i.e all items and you are awarded IR priviliges.
first series pass is failed 1 or more (but less than 5) individual items on first attempt but passed tham all at the 2nd attempt. Sometimes called a partial pass.
If anyone of these items is failed again at the 2nd attempt then the whole test has to be taken again as opposed to just individual items.
You are allowed to fail no more than 5 individual items on the first attempt else you have to sit the whole test again.

n90bar
8th May 2008, 20:01
I dont think that is quite correct - there is 6 sections in the test. You can fail one and this is classed as a partial. If you fail 2 or more then it is a whole resit you need i.e second series.

A first time pass is one that you pass all 6 sections first time round. A first series is when you fail only 1 of the 6 sections, and then go on to pass it when you retake it. If you were to fail it, then it would require a whole new test. i.e a second series

3Greens
9th May 2008, 08:15
n90bar

i stand corrected...i assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the initial IR was conducted in the same way as the IR on the 757 (on which i am a TRE).

From the guidance to examiners for the INITIAL IR

Administrative Procedures
4.2.1 Each time an applicant undertakes an IR Skill Test it is known as an "Attempt". "Attempts" are grouped into "Series". There are up to two Attempts in each Series. There is no limit to the number of series that may be taken.
4.2.2 A PASS will be awarded when all sections of the test are passed in an attempt.
22 December 2004 Page 12 of 25
Standards Document 1, V6
4.2.3 An applicant failing only one section at the first attempt in a series shall have gained a PARTIAL PASS. The second attempt will always require the applicant to retake (Section 1) Departure and that section failed at the first attempt.
4.2.4 A FAIL will be awarded if more than one section is failed at the first attempt in a series or if any item is failed at the second attempt of a Series.
4.2.5 A FREE RETEST may be awarded if the applicant discontinues the flight and the reasons for doing so are agreed by the examiner. The free retest will require only those sections or items not previously flown to be completed; these items must be completed before the result of the flight can be determined. If the applicant terminates the flight test, for reasons considered inadequate by the Examiner, he may forfeit the test fee and a further fee will be required before the next test.
4.2.6 The FAIL as defined above will conclude that Series. Before applying for a further attempt in the next (second)

airbuslit
9th May 2008, 09:14
Thanks guys thats cleared it up for me:ok:.