PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Stolen

rotaryman
7th May 2008, 23:13
Seems someone stole a Kiowa Helicopter from Bankstown, Sydney Australia.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?v ... 1d536a9e90

Detectives have been left scratching their heads after two thieves broke into a hangar at Bankstown airport and flew off with a $350,000 helicopter.

The chopper, an ex-Canadian military Bell Kiowa, was discovered missing by its owner Leia Colbert when she went to inspect it during the weekend.

Forensic police dusted the hangar for fingerprints but there was no sign of forced entry with the locks still intact.

The chopper, last inspected one month ago and one of only a handful in Australia, is up for sale.

Other pilots at Bankstown Airport said the helicopter was probably flown out at night when the air traffic control tower was unmanned.

Ms Colbert inherited the aircraft from her father Damien, who died three years ago when an aerobatic display went wrong over Narrabeen.

What the hell would you do with a Stolen Helicopter? Duhhh:{

Bravo73
7th May 2008, 23:23
What the hell would you do with a Stolen Helicopter? Duhhh:{

Robbing someone or springing someone from jail are 2 ideas which spring to mind... :ouch:

Trojan1981
8th May 2008, 00:01
It's probally in a container right now, on its way to a country with far less regulation:hmm:. An inside job?

Elan Head
8th May 2008, 02:38
It was recovered in Taree: http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/05/08/Stolen_helicopter_recovered_in_Taree

SASless
8th May 2008, 03:09
UH OH! Took off while the control tower was closed.....now they are in for it!

ReverseFlight
8th May 2008, 08:25
G'day mate. A question for all ya Aussies out there ...

Is the owner of the stolen chopper Leia Colbert any relation of Leigh Colbert, the ex-footie star for Geelong and later the Roos ?

Is it just a mere coincidence of names ? He's an aviator too.

JTobias
8th May 2008, 16:24
Interesting, I heard only yesterday about a possible "theft" of a Bell 206 Jet Ranger from a U.K. airfield. I think the attempt was thwarted and the heli is safe. My understanding was that it was an international purchase scam.

I am being purposefully vague because it might be confidential. I guess the answer is lock your helis and disable them too!!

Joel

Helipolarbear
8th May 2008, 20:18
Worth more as dodgy spare parts all over the Globe...............:}

Trojan1981
8th May 2008, 22:08
:suspect:Weird, I wonder what the intent was?

baffler15
8th May 2008, 22:40
Channel Nine reporter Shaun Fewings has told 2GB’s Ray Hadley the helicopter must have been taken by a qualified pilot.

:D:D:D:D:D First class investigative journalism, that!

The Baffler :ok:

rotaryman
9th May 2008, 03:22
Agree with ya baffler15!!!:ok:

Makes we wonder why the pilot dumped the machine in Taree though...:confused:

Why bother taking it at all...me thinks more to this than a mere stolen helicopter...:ugh:

TimmoWhakatane
9th May 2008, 04:18
I wonder if the pilot/thief gets to log the hours :E

sunnywa
9th May 2008, 15:01
One tank of gas, Bankstown to Taree. And the surf was up. :E

BoeingMEL
10th May 2008, 06:17
Dear Bravo73, are you seriously suggesting that there are criminals in Australia? In prison? That is a foul slur Sir, shame on you!!:rolleyes: Cheers bm

HELOFAN
10th May 2008, 13:36
Taken from here found there........

I wonder what happened in the middle?
:E

HF

aldee
11th May 2008, 19:10
G'day mate. A question for all ya Aussies out there ...

Is the owner of the stolen chopper Leia Colbert any relation of Leigh Colbert, the ex-footie star for Geelong and later the Roos ?

Is it just a mere coincidence of names ? He's an aviator too.

I believe the owner and therefore father was Damian Colbert who had a mishap in a Nanchang over water some years back. R.I.P.

ReverseFlight
12th May 2008, 05:56
Thanks, I was aware of that from the head of the thread : "Ms Colbert inherited the aircraft from her father Damien, who died three years ago when an aerobatic display went wrong over Narrabeen."

Probably just a coincidence of names. Apologies to all.

ChopperFAN
12th May 2008, 09:11
This seems odd to me... why would anyone qualified or not correctly prepare and fly a helicopter, Bankstown to Taree... run out of juice and dissapear without a trace..!

Would they not have the intent to reuse, part out or so with it?

How could someone unknown land a helicopter at Taree depart and blend into the comunity and get back wherever, someone would have had to collect them

Wouldnt any halfwit put it in a remote shed... like its stolen you want it to dissapear :}

Would somone ex pilot that wanted to get it out their system try such a stunt?

Is their any chance they arnt licenced and read the 206 manuals online? Home simulator with a good setup practice... With the games out where you steal helicopters and fly them, I wouldnt be supprised

Anyhow im in Australia down south and cant believe its been pulled off, any other incidents anyone knows of where a helicopter has been taken?

As a kid i had dreams of being invisable and taking helicopters from the local helipad for my own use... Just loved to be around them :O

Thanks Simon

topendtorque
12th May 2008, 11:56
ChopperFAN
mate, have ye ne'er met any of your half displaced countrymen????

i think that a bit of hooliganism should be part of most people's make up, especially drivers of the rotary variety. bloody boring otherwise.

And to prove it,

And the surf was up. :E

I guess that puts to bed the theory that we are all a bunch of "rheumy eyed introv----" etc.

where did he (or she) get the surfboard from, 'Apocalypse Now'??

rotaryman
13th May 2008, 04:59
Kinda Makes ya feel all warm and fuzy about our increased security at airports! don't bother attempting to get on board an aircraft...Just steal yer self a Helicopter LOL:}

Kulwin Park
13th May 2008, 09:05
I heard they had the Australian Light Aircraft Championships (ALAC's) at Taree for the whole week, so it would have been crowded there!!!! Someone there must have seen the culprit?? :ooh:

PS ... I hope he left a Tip in the console for the missing fuel! ;)

Freewheel
13th May 2008, 22:31
There was a major bust up Mareeba way a year or two ago, got a mention here, but a search hasn't been revealing so far.

Wasn't stolen machines though - a few robbies got impounded as I recall.

rotaryman
13th May 2008, 23:12
Been many a Robbie used to transport cannabis around Far North Queensland, I should know.

My machine was used by a grower on cross hire some years ago. !! I ended up being a witness for the prosecution and had to produce the Maint release etc showing the Pilots signature, The Dope " pun intended " even left the flight plan and VTC under the seat showing were the plantation was located..:eek::}

Turned out the guys were packing the dope into 1KG packs under the seats and landing on a dirt road to then end up on a cattle truck and moved interstate.:=

Runway101
18th May 2008, 06:03
Maybe just another (private) pilot with full time job, loan payments, wife and three kids, who couldn't afford flying for his BFR otherwise.

bladepitch
18th May 2008, 21:23
Botched insurance job.

what qualified pilot would steal a helicopter,not with new anti terrorism laws in place.

Heli-phile
18th May 2008, 21:52
All this Grand Theft Auto gamers, thats what I think Happend.:eek:

Probably stolen by some lapsed PPL who has emerged from a 2 week GTA IV binge, bleary eyed and fancying the real deal after all the Gaming stealing of cars, bike, trucks, boats AND HELICOPTERS!!!

John Eacott
18th May 2008, 21:58
what qualified pilot would steal a helicopter,not with new anti terrorism laws in place.

Obviously wasn't placarded appropriately ;)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/2017-2/Terroristwarning.jpg

Ascend Charlie
30th May 2008, 11:53
In the news today:
"Police today have charged a man with the theft of a rare helicopter known for its ability to avoid detection, after the craft went missing from its hangar.

A 48-year-old Port Macquarie man was charged this morning with stealing the ex-military Kiowa, which had been reported missing from Bankstown Airport by its owner on May 4, a police spokeswoman said.

"The owner had visited the private hangar and noticed damage to the locks and main door ... and the helicopter missing," she said. She had last visited the helicopter in its hangar last December, she said.

Police found the helicopter on May 6 at Taree Airport on the Mid North Coast and returned to its owner, police said.

The 48-year-old turned himself in to Bankstown police this morning and was charged and will face Bankstown Local Court on June 18.

According to police, the aircraft is a rare collector's item and one of only three in Australia.

Gary Byk, a helicopter enthusiast who has written a book titled Kiowa in Australian Service, said the Kiowas were heavily used for "battlefield reconnaissance".

"These were the guys that sneak around and see what's happening," he said.

"They would be used in stealth mode and use the natural foliage to sneak up and see what the enemy is doing.

"I remember they used to have open days in the country where four Kiowas would be about five kilometres away in the countryside and would show themselves to the crowd before going to ground.

"About 15 minutes later, they would pop up right in front of the audience to their amazement, no one would have noticed."

However, Mr Byk was surprised one had been allegedly stolen.

"I spent a lot of time riding in them as a paramedic. They were noisy, they were cold, they vibrated - I don't really see why someone would be overly enthusiastic about it."

I heard a name mentioned, but it isn't in the press yet, so i will keep quiet in case I am wrong, but the name I heard was a person renowned for telling massive lies about himself.

But why would Mr Byk describe a Kiowa as being stealthy, and then say they are noisy? Perhaps he is trying to describe NOE flying. The paper lives up to the standard for accurate aviation reporting again...

starflex3
3rd Jun 2008, 09:03
Like most helicopter pilots in Australia he was probably bored, and with no one private hiring helicopters for him to go for a blat in, he said F*%K it I cant get to one legally I will steal one instead.
No it was'nt me.
:D

notmyC150v2
8th Apr 2009, 04:22
This guy has been convicted and sentenced to periodic detention.

Story Here (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25307875-12377,00.html)

SASless
8th Apr 2009, 04:55
What helicopter might they be referring to?

a rare helicopter known for its ability to avoid detection

Certainly not the Kiowa....aka Jet Ranger!

ChopperFAN
8th Apr 2009, 08:16
The other day I was just wondering what happened with this ...

What a nutter... No mention of him having any licence :\

Simon