View Full Version : I just rescued a little flyer from almost certain death

airship
7th May 2008, 17:04
Found the silly little house-fly in my tumbler of Scotch just now. Looked well-dead to me. Scooped him out with a finger-tip and dunked him into a bowl of fresh water a few times before laying him out on a tea-cloth and blowing on him gently. Almost immediately afterwards, he got up and started walking complete circles. 30 seconds afterwards, he was managing an almost straight line but angling to the left quite a bit. Lost sight of him whilst posting this but I just checked the tea cloth and he's gone. Could be the same fly on my sandwich now though?! :ok:

ZH875
7th May 2008, 17:10
I hope you made him spit the whisky out first..........

Flap 5
7th May 2008, 17:20
Seems like you are both drunk ... :hmm:

airship
7th May 2008, 17:21
He probably did that all by himself - I only drink the cheap stuff: William Lawson's - about 15 for a 1L bottle (I'm supposed to be cutting down on the stuff, and I am). :ok:

You'd have thought the fumes alone would be enough to kill a little insect like that, let alone being immersed in the stuff...?

PS. I finished off the glass though - assuming that whatever germs the little bugger was carrying would not have survived... :(

PPS. Nonono, the fly was dunked, and I've a very long way to go before I am drunk (having cut-down to just 1.5L per week at current rates of consumption) - I just hope noone accuses me of water-boarding flies for pleasure - it was for his own good you know!

Kerosine
7th May 2008, 17:51
Scooped him out with a finger-tip and dunked him into a bowl of fresh water a few times before laying him out on a tea-cloth and blowing on him gently.Bizarre...:bored:

airship
7th May 2008, 17:59
And proud of it too! I suspect an invitation to visit Dharamsala is already winging it's way through the post even as we speak... :ok:

Ozzy
7th May 2008, 18:05
William Lawson's sucks, it's like drinking paint thinner. But it is cheap!

Ozzy

airship
7th May 2008, 18:20
Long John is almost just as cheap. When the supermarket ran out of William Lawson's, I tried some (the 2L bottle was especially good value). As blends go, it was a little less bland I guess. However, 2 days later I woke up one morning not being able to put any weight at all on my right ankle. Crawled about like a toddler for a whole day. Another 2 days before I could walk almost normally. Worst case of gout (I think that's what is was) I ever had...(and partly also why I'm cutting down). So long, Long John...! I wonder how that fly would have fared if it had been a tumbler full of that Scotch though...

Ozzy
7th May 2008, 18:26
You could probably have lit a match and watched the fly jet off into the stratosphere:E:E

Ozzy

Sailor Vee
7th May 2008, 19:02
Reminds me of the tale at Spinneys, they ran out of 'Indian Whisky' so the local manager sold genuine scotch at the same price, hoping to change their tastes, no go, the scotch didn't produce enough of a headache!! :D

shedhead
7th May 2008, 19:29
I am now trying to get an image of a fly with gout out of my head.
thanks guys!

Notso Fantastic
7th May 2008, 20:33
I've noticed when you swat these things, after a few minutes they're up and away. Amazing recovery abilities. BUT....you know how these things breed. Because you didn't 'terminate' this one 'with extreme prejudice', after breeding, in another 20 generations you are going to be directly responsible for billions of houseflies on this planet, weighing thousands of tons.

er340790
7th May 2008, 21:35
I read this and went and swatted one of the b******s.

There, that should restore the ecological balance / carbon footprint / ice-cap melting that airship recklessly triggered.

P.S. JB is great?! No mention of the 22,000+ drowned in Burma, the 41,000 missing. Just international banter over a drunken house-fly!;)

visibility3miles
7th May 2008, 23:11
laying him out on a tea-cloth and blowing on him gently

How did you know its gender before blowing?

Oh, never mind... :eek::sad:

27mm
8th May 2008, 07:00
Presumably after you had cleaned him up, he went back to the doggie-do he had previously been eating.....

Crosshair
8th May 2008, 07:27
Flier, there's a weight in my soup!