PDA

View Full Version : Is this book any good? 'A Passion for Flying. 8,000 Hours of RAF Flying'

Ewan Whosearmy
7th May 2008, 15:34
Just wondered if anyone's read the book 'A Passion for Flying. 8,000 Hours of RAF Flying', by Tom Eeles? If so, what are your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844156885/ref=pd_luc_0000207603321771844156885

The synopsis on Amazon just gives a brief biography of the author, and doesn't actually 'sell' the contents of the book, so I am a little hesitant to put my name down for a copy...

FFP
7th May 2008, 15:41
If it's the Tom Eeles I'm thinking of, a great guy with lots of stories. May be worth a read.

BluntM8
7th May 2008, 15:47
I flew with Tom for several years during my time on CUAS. He is a total gent and one of the most experienced aviators I've ever had the pleasure of being instructed by. Furthermore, he is capable of spinning a dit with the best of them, especially after a glass or two of the Macallans.

I think his answerphone message from my time at the sqn says it all: "You're through to Tom Eeles. I'm either flying, sailing, skiing or drinking with the students. Leave a message." :E

I've not bought his book, but only because this is the first i've heard of it. I'll be straight onto Amazon for a copy!

Blunty

Ewan Whosearmy
7th May 2008, 16:02
Recommendation enough. I'll add my name to the list.

Thanks, chaps.

AH Veteran
7th May 2008, 16:03
Ewan,

I have just finished reading this book (I'll admit I was put onto it by the author's son, a good friend) and it is an interesting and often amusing trip through the career of an aviator of some 40+ years experience. I happen to know Tom, too, which added to my enjoyment of the book.

All in all, it's full of great tales and is a fascinating insight into the Cold War era from a Pilot's perspective. Buy it now!:ok:

AHV

Ewan Whosearmy
7th May 2008, 16:04
AHV. Done! Thanks.

papajuliet
7th May 2008, 22:11
I second that AHV - just wish the book had another 100 pages or so.
Interesting comments on a/c types at the end.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th May 2008, 12:42
Tom Eeles - Great guy and if he's written a book, it will certainly be a good read:ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
8th May 2008, 20:37
I met him when he was GCFT at Church Fenton. Was first back to the bar after a 'combat' change: he still had his green socks on! Top bloke!

Met him again in the UAS world; gave an excellent chat on his days on the Bucc (with the RAF and RN). If his writing is half as good as his presentation, this book will be well worth it.

I'm off to order my copy!

Duncs:ok:

nipva
9th May 2008, 07:19
Only 8000 - after 40 years experience !!

Shame on you, 8000 hours is some achievement when it is confined to fast jets/flying training and does not include mindless hours of autopilot 'supervision'; it equates to almost as many take offs and landings. Despite your disdain I note that you chose not to enlighten us as to how many hands on hours you have. Tom is also one of we dubious bunch who have more takeoffs in our logbooks than landings which I am sure that he will have mentioned in his book.

Ewan Whosearmy
9th May 2008, 16:58
What a shame, although perfectly predictable, that a positive and light-hearted thread has once more been blighted by one of the regular PPRuNe irritants.

soddim
9th May 2008, 19:11
This inject from buoy15 falls into the trap that so many people do in referring to time airborne as if it provided a yardstick to gauge experience by.

What one does with the time airborne is the true yardstick and time on fighters and fighter-bombers is worth at least ten times that spent on more mundane craft.

Biggus
9th May 2008, 19:11
Two points:

1) I think you will find buoy 15 is a nav, so no 'hands on' hours at all in the true sense of the word! (I stand ready to be corrected)

2) In terms of buoy 15's maths, 8,000 hrs in 40 ish years equates to approx 200 hours per year according to me. So it is either 0.548 hrs per day (200 divided by 365), or 0.870 hrs per day if you only count working days (52 weeks minus 6 for leave equals 46 weeks, times 5 equals 230 working days). Either way buoy 15's figure of 1.825 is wrong.....

Of course if you multiply 365 by 40 you get 14,600 days. If you then divide 14,600 by 8000 (to give you days per flying hour - as opposed to flying hours per day!!!) then you get 1.825.......

Apart from that.......!!!

Mandator
9th May 2008, 20:04
Go get it! Think he's doing a couple of signing sessions at the Duxford Air Show on Sunday 18th May, where he is a member of the Duxford Flying Control Committee.

Splash Coxswain
10th May 2008, 17:55
Talking of books and Buccs, has anybody 'read' The Buccaneer Songbook yet? It's an excellent collection of songs from the Bucc era and includes most of the rugby songs that you have forgotten too!

Brian Abraham
11th May 2008, 01:50
I think you will find buoy 15 is a nav
Hope not considering the maths you point out Biggus.

Ewan Whosearmy
8th Jun 2008, 22:17
Well, I just finished the book and have to say I was disappointed.

While it is excellent in parts (particularly with regards to the Buc), I didn't find the book particularly engaging and ended it feeling like I had read about the career of a man with 80 hours, not 8,000 in 28 different military aircraft.

There are one or two interesting stories, the occasional funny one, but on the whole the text is pretty mundane.

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone seeking a brief literary distraction (you can read it in half a day, it's so short) and who doesn't want to read anything too heavy, but for me it just doesn't live up to its potential. Shame, really.

Dan D'air
9th Jun 2008, 02:07
It's a shame that you were disappointed by the book but it's just as well for us though Ewan that there are men around like Tom Eeles who have lived up to their potential. As has been so rightly pointed out by soddim and nipva on this thread, hands-on FJ time is worth it's weight in gold and cannot be compared to the bus driving that most of us end up doing to pay the mortgage post-mob. BTW. I for one found it gripping and a very interesting journey through the last few decades.

dakkg651
9th Jun 2008, 07:29
I don't think Ewan is knocking the author as an aviator.

I too had been looking forward to reading this book for a while but, having completed it in one session, I was a little dissapointed.

Forty years and 8000 hours raced by far too quickly for me and I was left with the feeling that maybe Tom's natural fear of 'line shooting' has caused him to damp down or even omit a lot of interesting experiences.

Perhaps I am being unfair in my expectations - I had just finished re-reading Bob Prests' book!

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Jun 2008, 09:21
Dak

You are correct: Dan's got hold of the wrong end of the stick with regards to my post.

I think that Tom Eeele's accomplishments are phenomenal; the problem is that for a man who did so much, his book pales by comparison to others in the genre by men who achieved far less in their careers.

As a side note, and not anything Tom could control, the book is also not particularly well edited.

Dan D'air
9th Jun 2008, 09:31
Ewan,

I know that you weren't knocking the guy's flying achievements, and don't feel that I did misinterpret your post, perhaps my reply wasn't as lucid as it could have been, having been written at three in the morning after a four sector, fifteen hour duty, so I have edited it to read better!! :O

Oops, Human factors anyone!!

UAV689
9th Jun 2008, 09:48
Having flown with TE on CUAS I thoughly enjoyed the book. An enjoyable read, from an excellent instructor from someone that really does have a passion for flying and the RAF and all things to do with flying.

As an aside does anyone have his email address, I think there is a chance he has flown the a/c I own (one of only 8 in country, and based in East Anglia for last 10 years near to him) and would love to get in touch with him and offer him the chance to fly her again if he wishes.

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Jun 2008, 10:05
Dan

Fair enough! I see what you are saying, and yes, I agree that it is fortunate indeed that we have men like Tom to look up and to and be inspired by.

UAV

Try calling Duxford - according to the book, he still works there on the air show committee.

Flying Lawyer
1st Sep 2008, 22:44
UAV As an aside does anyone have his email address .....
Yes.
If you send me a PM with your email address and any other info, I'll pass it on.
I'll be seeing him in about 10 days time, or can email him.

Tudor