PDA

View Full Version : Job perspectives in sweden

eivissa
7th May 2008, 09:39
I tried searching threads, but didnt find anything so i am looking for help from rotorheads who work or have been working in sweden.

How is the job situation in sweden right now? Do operators expect me to speak swedish or is it enough to start learning the language when arriving in sweden? Will i have difficulties as a german getting a work permit? I am low time pilot, so what jobs can i expect? here in germany its mostly powerline and some pleasure flying. I am absolutely willing to do every dirty flying job there is. Dream surely would be to get a hughes 500 rating and then collect turbine time... ;)

cheers eivissa

eivissa
8th May 2008, 11:46
still no useful advice? offshore ifr work is also of interest...

voodoo2
8th May 2008, 22:06
Hi!

Without speaking Swedish I think you will find it hard to find employment. From what I understand the jobmarket is good in Sweden right now. Most jobs obviously require the pilot to talk with the customers and if they dont speak German or English, then that would create a problem. In fact I have never met or heard of a pilot working in Sweden that didnt speak Swedish.I wish I could give you some good news but I think there are very few operators that would be interested, especially since you are a low timer aswell. The first place I would have a go at is www.norrlandsflyg.se From what I have heard they seem to have a high turnover of pilots and they have co-pilots jobs that would atleast give you a chance (if you have an Instrument rating.

Anyways give it a go, you never know. Ohh also check out www.nordicrotors.com as they have the full scoop of the Swedish market.
Good luck!

Martin1234
8th May 2008, 23:29
Will i have difficulties as a german getting a work permit?

No, as an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you are normally entitled to get a work permit. In fact, work permit wise, you can start immedietly without any formalities and work up to 3 months before you need a work permit.

Most Swedes know English pretty well, although Germans seem to pick up Swedish pretty fast. I know that for Norrlandsflyg's SAR contract all crew need to be able to communicate with Swedes in their native language.

eivissa
9th May 2008, 08:43
Thanks for those hints, ive been checking nordic rotors frequently and its quite informative and just makes my wish to go and work there even stronger, but since i havent got my IR yet i would like to find out more about the jobs that dont require it. I would do the IR just in case i wont find anything without it...speaking of it...can you recommend any companies in sweden for IR training? Maybe affordable? In germany we have eurocopter, they will do it for 70k€ and ive been told its one of the best worldwide, then there is topfly in spain for 40k€ but mostly on sim...how is sweden in comparison? Friend of mine said there is a company doing it on a long ranger and quite cheap and it seemed to him like a joke. In germany and spain it is only trained on twins.

greetings and thanks so far from (right now) rainy, but warm, ibiza :)

GOT
9th May 2008, 16:03
Hi,

Proflight has everything http://www.roslagenshelikopterflyg.se/pfeng3.html and they do it on Jet Ranger/Long ranger. I have no personal experience from these guys but supposedly they should be fine.

As for the job market I think your best chance would be somewhere in the northern parts of Sweden, at least you have many companies up there.

GOT

tecpilot
9th May 2008, 19:48
What do you want? If you are not man enough to give my swedish friends a simple and cheap call in english, or to take the 3h ferry how will you be a lone helicopterpilot in the swedish outlands? It´s not as far as Australia and it will be a simple weekend trip to sweden and you will have all the information you want.

Sometimes i ask me how all the older pilots have made it without the web? Not while sitting in front of the screen.

It´s so simple...

eivissa
9th May 2008, 20:16
i didnt expect that kind of sound, but ok, i wont be going to sweden before winter, so its still some time to go, the road trip to sweden is planned for summer and i am in contact with some companies all around scandinavia, but i was hoping to get some hints from pilots working there. Pilots who made their IR in sweden and will recommend a school and realistic pricing, not what salesmen tell you. What the helo industry in sweden has got to offer for low time pilots...i will surely see and get to know all of that when i arrive, but what is the problem to ask senior rotorheads from sweden here on pprune in advance? Maybe none, cause i got some really informative answers until now and i am thankful for that and maybe there is more to come.

I havent met a swede yet who wasnt brilliant at english so my hope was that english is the key. I see I was wrong, so i guess i will have to start learning swedish right now to have an advantage in summer.

tecpilot
10th May 2008, 06:46
Yep, i understand, you are in contact with some companies there and want to know now from us if they like beginners and non swedish spokers. I´m sure your contacts have forgotten to tell you such basic points.

You seem to know nothing, including nothing about the very expensive costs in this country. An IR in Sweden in a single will cost more than on twins in some other JAA countries.

voodoo2
10th May 2008, 11:43
Hi again!

I took my IR a few years ago with Helikopterservice in Helsingborg. I was a very good experience. Instructor went out of his way to really help me with a few problems that I had with the examiner.....as a matter of fact they got in to a huge dispute over some of my overseas hours. My Instructor didn't back down and eventualy they were accepted. Saved my about $10k Top notch training. Was in a Longranger ($2300/hour) a bit expensive but it was totally worth it.
Im glad I took the IR because soon after I got a job flying offshore. And it's the best job I have ever had. I am impressed that you want the job so badly that you are willing to learn our difficult language. If I had a company I would deffenetly look at your CV twice. If you learn the language I'm sure you could find something. There is a company in sothern Sweden that fly H300 powerlinepatrol that you should also contact ...Renström Helicopters or something like that. Not sure of the name.

Anyways good luck.

GOT
10th May 2008, 18:55
Tecpilot, cut him some slack would you? He is just doing some research, what's so wrong with that?

GOT

tecpilot
11th May 2008, 07:18
He is looking for the basics his "contacts" should be able to tell him in 10 seconds.

"Research" is an other thing.