PDA

View Full Version : Reliable FAA (PPL) Flight schools?

AlphaMale
7th May 2008, 08:11
Hi guys,

I'm looking to do a little research on the FAA schools as I'm quite tempted to do a FAA PPL this summer (as soon as possible) and on return start my ATPL exams via BGS.

from there I'll look to apply to the FAA CPL/ME-IR/CFI courses with jobs as FI's for a 12 months or so. Converting my CPL and IR to JAA and then applying to the Air Taxis and if I'm lucky Biz Jet/Turbo Prop Ops with both JAA/FAA licences and 700+hrs TT.

There are many FAA schools dotted around the US but I was hoping to hear from some pilots that have first hand experience with such a school.

Thanks.

cirruscrystal
7th May 2008, 16:05
I have experience of EAA - European American Aviation - in Florida. They are a top notch school, new Diamond aircraft which are amazing to fly, instructors are great and many ex-commercial pilots.

Importantly too, you will be treated very well!! Avoid places like Naples Air Centre at all costs in my view.

All the best:ok:

AlphaMale
8th May 2008, 11:48
Thanks for that Cirrus, you did mention this school to me before and I added them to my list.

They seem quite competitive on price too, when you consider they are using the Glass Cockpit Diamond fleet and others are using old Cessna’s/Pipers. What about accommodation? Where did you stay while you were out there? and how much do you think I'd need to budget (any hidden fees)?

40hrs looks to be around $6,599 (£3,370) and 50hrs at $8,150 (£4,160).Do you think EAA could get their students through the FAA PPL in 4 weeks? Or are their AC's grounded more than they fly and are the instructors over run with students?

I'll email them later for more info but I guess hearing from a former student does no harm.

Thanks

cirruscrystal
8th May 2008, 12:15
They are not a pilot factory like Naples air Centre so in my experience they will let you fly as much as you can as the single engines are easily booked - sometimes more difficult with the twinstars for more than one flight a day.

They dont have organised student accomodation but they will get somewhere decent lined up for you - Speak to Christine on accomodation. Betina will organise everything else for you.

No hidden fees i can remember, they got me through my MEIR on a very tight schedule and they did everything they could. I completed and passed the test a day before my flight back to UK - a good result!:ok:

AlphaMale
8th May 2008, 12:17
Sounds good to me :ok:

Andi
9th May 2008, 08:24
did my FAA PPL in Davis , California at www.calaggieflyers.com.

its a while ago but the area and proximity to Sacramento and
San Francisco Bay area makes it very lovely and pleasent to fly.
Davis is a University town,so lots of things to do there.:E

Happy landings.

redberon2003
9th May 2008, 19:46
I personally fly at Mcair Aviation

mcairaviation.com

they are the number 1 CpC in the U.S. and have a fleet of Glass and Analogue C172SP's that they train on......large facility lots of computers with access to Flightplanning Materials and they are Part 141, their PPL Syllabus is very well done i think too their Online Schedule allows you to book as many flights as you want months in advance and the Schedule only really fills up 1 to 2 days before the day in question. so if you keep scheduling 3-4 days in advance you will be given as much time as you want

ilfly
10th May 2008, 15:28
I did my FAA CPL / ME /IR with London Aviaition www.londonaviation.com (http://www.londonaviation.com) - The CFI was Rex Gasteiger at the time. He has now left London and set up on his own again as Rex Air www.rexair.net (http://www.rexair.net). I did a BFR with them a couple of years ago.

Rex, Lisa and Sebastion (Gerard) are great people.

All based at Naples Airport. APF Great places to stay and eat and some woderful beaches to relax on. And Plenty of approaches based at the airport and the Local Regional South West RSW

Give Rex a try. A call won't hurt and he won't waist your money. When I was studying I rented a spare room in Rex's apt.

AlphaMale
16th May 2008, 12:53
Thanks for the input guys :ok:

I seem to get PM's and I'm uncovering so much bad press about the JAA Schools in the US it's scary!

AceD3
19th May 2008, 10:38
Any reason why not to use Naples?

Am looking for a flight school in US (as cheaper than UK) to do ATPL (Frozen) excluding JAR PPL as already have that.

Would like to do full-time ATPL ground school as will will probably find it difficult to study at home.

AlphaMale
19th May 2008, 11:11
Any reason why not to use Naples?

At the moment I don't have a PPL but wish to gain a fATPL within a couple of years. Having an FAA or a JAA PPL will enable me to sit the ATPL GS so it makes no difference really, it'll be upgraded to a CPL asap so not much point in converting it either.

I have looked into training for my PPL here in the UK and have been told to budget for around 2 months in the summer as a full time student or 6 months April - Sep as a part time student - Costs would be around £8k.

So the US does look pretty attractive due to the weather and exchange rates. Of the 4 US JAA schools I looked into Naples were the only people not to get back to me with questions I asked. EFT were probably the friendliest but the current EFT thread about refunds has put me off.

FAA PPL includes a Night rating and EAA are able to offer a new diamond fleet along with a good working environment. It’s next to Naples so I'm quite interested in this set up.

I've been on forums.jetcareersand nobody has a bad word to say about them? It may work out a little more expensive than the other bigger schools but maybe 'you get what you pay for' will be the a truth of it all?

I don't mind paying a little extra for good tuition as I don't want to pick up any bad habits that could become very costly to get rid of when it comes to CPL/IR time.

The other reason for choosing an FAA PPL is due to the reason I'll be keeping my options open to a FAA MEP/CPL/IR/CFI and the possibility of a FI job out there after passing the ATPL GS (while working FT).

I might choose one of the big 4 JAA schools when this time comes along on the other hand I may complete the rest of my training in the UK? ... I don't have a crystal ball :(

Keeping my options open for the time being ;)

T O G A Boy
22nd May 2008, 16:41
Did my training in Flightsafety international in Vero beach, florida. they have over 100 aircrafts and are surely professionals.. very high standards too, although i wont say they are cheap. but u get what u pay for..they have their own accomodation too next to the school... Good luck..

AlphaMale
22nd May 2008, 23:58
very high standards too, although i wont say they are cheap. but u get what u pay for

I've not seen the prices for Flight Safety Academy ... But with many pilots saying they are expensive I ruled it out of my options (I guess looking at it like the US version of OAA ... Might be worth the cash but if you don't have the cash it's not an option).

I'm probably looking to break my training into a few sections, meaning I'll be looking for an FAA PPL school and then 12 months later on the look out for an FAA MEP/CPL/IR school with the possibility of a CFI position after a CFI program (cross that bridge when I get to it).

chrisbl
23rd May 2008, 16:15
Did my CPL in Oregon at Hillsboro Aviation. Beats Florida hands down.