PDA

View Full Version : The tiltrotor gets more competition.

Dave_Jackson
7th May 2008, 04:13
Warwick says the Air Force project comes at the same time that the Army is proposing a tilt-wing vertical-take-off airplane. Only one will win out.

USAF's newest X-plane will be a composite cargo aircraft (http://www.sae.org/aeromag/technewsletter/080506Tech/02.htm)

OFBSLF
7th May 2008, 14:31
No production version will be funded. The Air Force is already broke, F15s are being grounded, it can't afford the F22s, F35s, tankers, and C17s that it needs. They're not going to spend a bunch of money on another transport.

Pugilistic Animus
7th May 2008, 15:28
what do you chopper folks feel about tilt rotors anyways?---from an engineering perspective--- I don't put much stock in them because everything seems too close and not very well protected in the case of single failure possible leading to a double failure--the regulator authoiries also have little experience in certificating these aircraft---known in FAA jargon as "powered lifts" ie that BAE -tiltrotor

I can't imagine and engine hit by a SAM:\---for me you either do VTOL--
1.with a jet platform --harrier/ F-35
2. with a helicopter
or
3.find a runway

respectfully submitted to your forum--

PA

Graviman
7th May 2008, 20:21
See the thread entittled "What is the latest on the V22"...

Technically, the general view is that tiltrotors are too complex for the performance offered. That said, Bell has just gained a former Sikorsky asset previously involved in Coaxial high speed flight testing. I will be interested in their future development direction.

Pugilistic Animus
7th May 2008, 21:19
thankyou Graviman