PDA

View Full Version : Our hospital has NVG, but won't use them!

Old Skool
7th May 2008, 02:00
We have several sets of NVGs in our Hospital, but they are for 'state emergency' only, so if the lights go out state wide our ground crews will be able to creep around and perform stealth NVG first aid. I mean can't they use a torch or flashlight. We would use the things every night, come on now. What needs to happen before they break out the NVGs, do we need to bend an aircraft. I know they have limitations but they certainly do jack all sat in a locked cupboard.

the coyote
7th May 2008, 04:34
Everyone needs to vent I suppose but you might find it a tad more productive negotiating with the hospital to try and implement them, rather than complaining to a forum? Or am I way off the mark nowadays when it comes to effecting change?

Spanish Waltzer
7th May 2008, 07:37
I agree Coyote - a very strange post!

Old skool you dont make your problem very clear but if as I read it you work with or for some form of EMS helo then please...oh god please... do not assume you can strap a set of nvg that have been locked in a cupboard for a number of years (possibly without maintenance?!) on your head and go flying at night. There are many threads on this forum regarding nvg ops and the inherent dangers even to experienced operators...don't become another statistic.

....or of course I might have coompletely the wrong end of the stick....:confused:

Old Skool
7th May 2008, 17:16
These things are brand new and have just been purchased by the hospital, they can justify the expense for an unlikely what if scenario but we are told they are too expensive for helo ops. I understand they are different and the aircraft requires modification, training and re-current training are required but we would use them every single night i'm sure. I know they have limitations but they are a useful tool and are better than the naked eye.
It was late and i was tired, just venting i guess, i've changed the title to something more appropriate. I just find it frustrating when a proven useful tool is not utilised because of cost, yet an unlikely scenario (state wide power failure) justifies spending.