PDA

View Full Version : Flight Dispatching Jobs in Australia?

kflexer
6th May 2008, 06:39
Im wondering what companies would be the best to work for and where they would base their dispatchers In Aus? Im looking for work in Australia and hold GCAA and FAA dispatchers lic. Is there any CASA licensing requirement? Any advice on where to start looking and which companies to look out for would be very appreciated. Also What areas of Australia are best to live in? I lived on the Sunny coast for a year and a half and it was great but I somehow don't think there will be any dispatch jobs around there?
Cheers all
GF

silversaab
8th May 2008, 04:56
Flight dispatch jobs (i.e. those entailing flight planning, not ground dispatch) are around, but the working conditions and pay in Oz are pretty crappy.

There are better jobs with a career path in the US, EU and UAE.

ozmahseer
8th May 2008, 23:49
Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin are always interested in hearing from qualified dispatchers. In regards to CASA licencing requirements, there are no licences, infact Flight Dispatchers do not exist in the Australian legal framework. Having said that don't try using that excuse if something goes wrong.

The basic requirements are ATPL theory passes so a FAA dispatchers ticket will do fine.
Experience would be good.

Having said that experienced dispatchers are now rare as hens teeth, and some operators (you know who you are) are taking anybody because they can not retain staff.

As a rough guide I rate the gross income from lowest to highest as:
REX (Sydney)
Jetstar (Melbourne)
Virgin (Brisbane)
Qantas (Sydney)

Other opportunities are Universal and some of the other smaller regionals.

Having worked with dispatchers from all sorts of backgrounds, I can tell you the job varies greatly from airline to airline.

Raggy
20th May 2008, 07:16
Can you give us some idead of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ozmahseer
21st May 2008, 04:50
Annual gross income ranges from $55000-$85000 AUD

canadiangal75
21st May 2008, 08:37
wow! that's alot better than the UAE.. I wanna move to Oz :( Do they give work visas to dispatchers? I bet not...

Miles to go
21st May 2008, 22:44
I think VirginBlue need some new ones for their new VAustralia op. Hop on their website and send your resume as an expression of interest. You never know your luck :)

ozmahseer
21st May 2008, 22:49
In regards to visa details I wouldn't have a clue, but apply for a job then try to sort out the visa, there are lots of expats working in airline jobs here in Australia and I suspect the airlines may be able to support your application.

silversaab
22nd May 2008, 09:14
Canadiangal75,

1. What do they pay in the UAE? What would you end up with in your pocket (in USD) at the end of the year? I was recently quoted a very attractive figure. To be clear, I'm talking flight ops dispatch, not ground dispatch, but having said that, someone I know is going to the UAE to do ground dispatch, and the $$ are equally good.

2. It's worth a try applying to a few Aussies outfits if working in Oz is your aim. Easier if you are under 28yo, but in any case, I know a couple of the larger operators have been trying to recruit from overseas recently. Note that the salaries quoted above are gross, and that the Aus government are one of the higher taxing governments around. Lastly, dispatch in Oz is mostly limited to flight planning/following - not dispatch to the extent of the USA, which you might be more familiar with.

Good luck:ok:

canadiangal75
22nd May 2008, 12:24
silversaab,

I don't have a job yet in Dubai. The problem is, I followed my husband here. So he got the "expat" pay as a pilot. I think if you get recruited from overseas the money can be good, but then again I don't know. I have been offered miserable salaries as low as 5000 AED a month. Which of course I have not accepted. This is roughly 1300 USD a month. It is not enough to live on. Now in Canada we pay very high income taxes too. So if you make about 60 000$ a year you end up with about 35 000$ in your pocket. But, there is healthcare, pension plan (although ****ty), unemployment insurance, sick leave insurance etc) So when you think about it, you need alot more money in your pocket in the UAE to have your own "rainy day" fund. Also cost of living is extremely expensive. You can expect to pay at least 150 000 AED a year on rent alone
(41 000 USD).. unless you live with roomates. Also living in Dubai is considered a bit of a sacrifice to a usual western lifestyle so the money better be right. Also alot of companies expect you to work 6 days a week as a normal workweek.

silversaab
22nd May 2008, 21:46
i'm not about to share with anyone if I were to chase a job there, so bang goes that idea! :O