PDA

View Full Version : Omega to refuel RAF Jets?

tonyosborne
5th May 2008, 15:12
It's in the Irish Independent, so it must be true...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/mcevaddy-lands-big-raf-deal-1366606.html

mary_hinge
5th May 2008, 17:26
http://www.globalairtankerservice.com/crs.html

"Turkey commercial aerial refueling services can be dedicated to support routine training missions, scheduled deployments, exercises and contingency operations."

JT Eagle
5th May 2008, 22:29
I think the word they meant to use is 'turnkey', not Turkey. Damn spellcheckers.

Have flown with them a couple of times. A great bunch of lads.

JT

LFFC
5th May 2008, 22:59
Industry sources said that Omega Air, the firm owned by Ulick and his brother Des, has won a five-year, $50m-a-year contract to refuel RAF Tornado fighters in mid air.

If "industry sources" are correct, then this is very curious. As the MOD has only recently signed a contract with Airtanker to provide an Air Refuelling service from 2014 (http://www.airtanker.co.uk/business-timeline.htm), maybe this is to fill a gap until then?

BEagle
6th May 2008, 04:33
This means that, by definition, the RAF no longer has sufficient assets to meet its own requirements.....

Which I guess is what happens when so many weary old VC10s are scrapped - and most of the rest of the AAR...sorry, 'AT/AAR' fleet have been propping up Bliar's wars for so long.

No reflection on Omega, but if the UK now has to stoop to using outsiders to support its military requirements, that must surely send a strong message to Incapability Brown and Swiss Des about the parlous state of the UK's Armed Forces.

Art Field
6th May 2008, 09:22
So is the Mighty Lion, along with it's Tristar comrades, brought down to this?. There was a time, not so very long ago, when RAF Tankers were providing a highly respected service to a number of air forces as well as our own. Perhaps we should look to hire the Lightning for air defence and the Buccaneer for maritime offence from Sun City just to be on the safe side!!!

SirToppamHat
6th May 2008, 11:09
Beagle
if the UK now has to stoop to using outsiders to support its military requirements,
We've been doing this for some time of course - AT, accommodation, PAYD and a whole load of other smaller, (less interesting?) areas too. The basic premise has normally been that out-sourcing is cheaper because you don't have to pay the additional costs associated with the military staffing. However, in many of these areas the mil guys that were recruited at the point of privatization are now coming up to retirement 2. There is no pool of ready trained pers to replace them and costs are going to spiral (Mess Manager anyone?).

What is now starting to happen in some areas is that the beancounters are looking at the contracts and seeing they are quite expensive, chopping them, and leaving the military to try and get by, unfunded, with what little manning they have left.

I have to declare an interest here, being part of an Organisation that has just been on the receiving end of this process (anyone else feeling the effects of PR08?).

There is some value in out-sourcing but, as with PPP, there is often a long-term cost to pay (financially and in terms of core capabilities lost). But then again, I don't suppose Swiss Des is thinking more than a few months ahead ...

STH

airborne_artist
6th May 2008, 11:24
But then again, I don't suppose Swiss Des is thinking more than a few months ahead ...

Given last Thursday's results, I'd be surprised if anyone on Team Brown was thinking more than 24 months ahead.

f4aviation
6th May 2008, 12:01
Surely you meant hours?

Green Flash
6th May 2008, 15:25
Perhaps we should look to hire the Lightning for air defence and the Buccaneer for maritime offence from Sun City just to be on the safe side!!!
How did you know this? Who told you? NAMES, NAMES!!!!!

farefield
6th May 2008, 17:13
The problem is, rather like the civvy airline I now work for, if the can do attitude persists and the boys (and girls) continue to get the job done, nothing will improve. They keep nibbling away and we adapt so they get away with it.:ugh:

DOWN_SOUTH_AGAIN
8th May 2008, 03:21
Quote:
'This means that, by definition, the RAF no longer has sufficient assets to meet its own requirements.....'

Remember, Omega are filling the gap currently left by the USAF, the RAF are not the only Air Force to struggle with assets. I for one prefer Omega, they are always willing to RV as neccersary and drop you off as required.

FFP
8th May 2008, 04:43
Remember, Omega are filling the gap currently left by the USAF

What do you mean by that ?

FJ2ME
8th May 2008, 07:57
Down South Again,

What exactly do you mean by:

"I for one prefer Omega, they are always willing to RV as neccersary and drop you off as required."?

By implication then the RAF doesn't do this?! I hope that there is more than a teaspoon of tongue-in-cheek here, as this is one of the things we're often praised for!

On another line, why don't we just rent the jets and get on with it ourselves? Rather than Omega taking all the westbound trails?!!

FJ2ME

BEagle
8th May 2008, 08:36
One suspects that any such preference for Omega rather than USAF tankers comes from the USN or USMC......

Perhaps unsurprisingly.

However, I don't think that any criticism is being directed towards RAF tanker crews. But if it is, then things would have had to have changed drastically over the last few years.....and I can't imagine that they have.

DOWN_SOUTH_AGAIN
8th May 2008, 14:11
FJ2ME,

The preference was torwards OMEGA over USAF, never had a problem with UK AAR.:D

D-IFF_ident
8th May 2008, 16:47
DSA - I can't find any references to Omega having contracts with the USAF or due to any USAF shortfalls. I can, however, find reference to Omega having contracts with the USN - for USN AAR, due to lack of AAR resources in the USN. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction re your sources, references?