PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Florida???`

sparx007
5th May 2008, 13:18
hi all,

Just a quick one to anyone with any knowledge or expereince of flying in florida around May June and July times, just wondered how many probable flying hours per day one can expect to be doing at this time what with weather and all and what the best times to fly are to get the most from the time there..i.e. morning afteroons etc etc?? If anybody has any ideas please let me know. Cheers,

Sparx

Tight Slot
5th May 2008, 14:11
Mornings mornings mornings!!! In Fl mid summer the CB's will come over most days at 3pm pronto! Will piss down for a while then lots of humid air for the next hour or two. If you have a night rating, great! FL at night is fab, lots of airfields have ptt lights so no ATC but just double click on their tower freq and hey presto, runway lights from no where!!

Enjoy.

Slipstream86
5th May 2008, 17:01
I've just returned from OBA where I completed my PPL.

Clouds were rarely an issue, it was always the gusting winds. The school had a policy where PPL students couldn't fly solo if the winds started gusting.

If you are lucky then you get the plane in the morning when the wind is normally 0. Starts picking up by 10 and usually started gusting by midday.:*

Everything seemed to calm down by 1900 tho and was beautifully smooth at night

Some of the student there were waiting 10 days for a chance of their QXC. I got lucky.

Which school are you going to?

AlphaMale
5th May 2008, 17:32
Slipstream86 how ling did it take you to complete your PPL?

I'm looking at either OBA or OFT to complete my FAA PPL. With the idea of going back there and completing my FAA CPL/ME-IR/CFI and and look for a FI job with a Visa and converting the FAA CPL to a JAA CPL before coming home.

Thanks

Shiver me timbers!
5th May 2008, 17:35
Slipstream86 - I'd also be interested in hearing a few more details...any maintenance / management issues, or financial disputes?

Or did things go smoothly?

Cheers.

Slipstream86
5th May 2008, 18:38
Sorry for going off topic sparx!

Alpha and Dave, I took the PPL completion course (35hrs+ 5 exams for me) and finished in 15 days. Its always going to depend largely on the individual as to how long it will take you, and as I mentioned earlier, the weather can restrict QXC opportunities if you are unlucky.

All in all, I thought it was a very good value course and would recommend it to anyone willing to put in the effort. The staff there are great, they will bend over backwards to make sure you complete on time. Some less confident students complained about the lack of briefs/debriefs but what do you expect for the price, they have to cut costs somewhere. You will be charged for 3 hours ground school for your XC brief (this is a JAA requirement) but you will be given all the info in less than 30 mins.

As for the aircraft (Im assuming you know why the Liberty's are grounded) you would be better off doing it in the 150 rather than the Warrior. I was tempted as its only slightly more money for a much better plane, but theres much less availability.
Didnt notice any major maintenance issues (few dodgy radios, some funny brakes) thats about it.

CPL students, they only got one complex single (an Arrow) so if it goes tech ur buggered

Hour builders - bear in mind that if you plan on takin the aircraft away from KOMN and beyond its range to return. You will only be remunerated for 1/4 of the cost of the fuel you buy away from base. Results - some very bored hour builders who were sick of going to the same local A/D's everyday.

One more thing, If you plan to do a PPL there and stay for some hour building or whatever, remember you still wont have a license even after you complete the PPL course. You will still be flying under an instructors solo endorsement and you are subject to OBA's student wind limitations. Best bet is to return to the UK and get ur liscence straight away.

Pitch+Power
5th May 2008, 19:53
definetley mornings.. or by far the best is night time.
Florida is great for flying at night, as tight slot says.

I did my 300nm for the commercial entirely at night.. smooth air, clear views, ATC very quiet.. I was cleard to land, number 1 for runway, at Daytona Int. on my initial call up at 12nm out..! :ok:

sparx007
5th May 2008, 20:11
i have no night rating as yet but am getting one whilst out there in FL. Just wondered how difficult Nav is in the dark in FL??? if its not that hard what makes this so??? cheers also for the replies...sounds like some early mornings for me....

Sparx

suraci
5th May 2008, 20:46
Florida at night - well the coastline is pretty brightly marked out by the beach side condos lit up like Xmas trees with (east coast) US Highway 1 a river of light just on-shore and I-95 a torrent of light just inland, and periodic lakes of light at the intersections. Quite a few masts, thoughtfully illuminated, and joy of joys, lots of itsy bitsy airfields with distinct runway patterns (printed on the sectionals) lit by pilot abused lighting.

Slipstream86
5th May 2008, 21:06
Sorry for going off topic sparx!

Alpha and Dave, I took the PPL completion course (35hrs+ 5 exams for me) and finished in 15 days. Its always going to depend largely on the individual as to how long it will take you, and as I mentioned earlier, the weather can restrict QXC opportunities if you are unlucky.

All in all, I thought it was a very good value course and would recommend it to anyone willing to put in the effort. The staff there are great, they will bend over backwards to make sure you complete on time. Some less confident students complained about the lack of briefs/debriefs but what do you expect for the price, they have to cut costs somewhere. You will be charged for 3 hours ground school for your XC brief (this is a JAA requirement) but you will be given all the info in less than 30 mins.

As for the aircraft (Im assuming you know why the Liberty's are grounded) you would be better off doing it in the 150 rather than the Warrior. I was tempted as its only slightly more money for a much better plane, but theres much less availability.
Didnt notice any major maintenance issues (few dodgy radios, some funny brakes) thats about it.

CPL students, they only got one complex single (an Arrow) so if it goes tech ur buggered

Hour builders - bear in mind that if you plan on takin the aircraft away from KOMN and beyond its range to return. You will only be remunerated for 1/4 of the cost of the fuel you buy away from base. Results - some very bored hour builders who were sick of going to the same local A/D's everyday.

One more thing, If you plan to do a PPL there and stay for some hour building or whatever, remember you still wont have a license even after you complete the PPL course. You will still be flying under an instructors solo endorsement and you are subject to OBA's student wind limitations. Best bet is to return to the UK and get ur liscence straight away.

Shiver me timbers!
5th May 2008, 21:33
Thanks v.much Slipstream86.

Many apologies for the thread hijack sparx :ouch:

sparx007
5th May 2008, 22:11
no worries gents....hopefully this is the only hijack i'll relate to my career in aviation!!!!! no no....its cool....i'm actually going out to OBA in May so its useful for me anyhow!!!! am looking to do 75 hours with a Night rating and potentially a meCPL but will see how things are looking prior to that!!!! Cheers again for the info and happy flying.

Sparx

AlphaMale
5th May 2008, 22:14
Ditto the above. :ok: