PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed PPL

ali1986
4th May 2008, 19:19
Hello

My SEP rating expired for my PPL last month... does this mean i have a valid PPL as it lasts for 5 years doesn't it?
I 'm currently studying for my ATPL theory before i go to stapleford for the fun part maybe about a year or so away i recon.
so i was wondering is it worth renewing my licence now and having a current PPL for when i go or is it worth waiting until my proper flight training commences.
All i can think of is that i'm going to need to revalidate at some point either way.
Would appreciate any advice
Many thanks

Shunter
4th May 2008, 19:36
Your PPL is valid, just that your SEP rating has expired. A quick flight test is all that's required. It's not the same as the PPL skills test. You don't say how many hours you've got, but if you need to build more before commencing CPL flight training, might be worth getting on with a revalidation sooner rather than later.

ali1986
4th May 2008, 22:52
I ve got about 75 hours on my PPL just 10 hours P1
last flight i did was Jan 07 so very rusty but its all in there somewhere.

Can u tell me what the flight test would involve or tell me where i could find out.

Stapleford do a hours buliding course that bring u up to the minimum thats requred to commence training if im right

Obs cop
5th May 2008, 14:59
Ali,

As you state you have a valid PPL. All you need is to renew your lapsed SEP rating. When you do that is simply down to how many hours you need to have before your course/training. Depending on how rusty you are then you may need an hour or two to just run through circuits, stalls, PFL's and then a renewal test.

I had the same situation with a lapsed SEP rating and my renewal test was basically just an hour covering the GFT part of the PPL flight test, albeit very much more relaxed.

I did steep turns, stalls (with and without flaps), recovery from a spiral dive, PFL and then into the circuit for glide, flapless and normal landings. All very pleasant and not as expensive as you would imagine. The flight test standards are on the CAA web site, if you do a search for "flight test standards", although I can't recall which standards document number it is. I believe the actual content of the flight test is down to the discretion of the examiner, but the standards for the evolutions are the same as those for intial issue of the PPL. Although not always included, I believe the examiner can also ask you to complete a Nav route, if they so desire.

Regards,
Obs cop