PDA

View Full Version : PPL-A SEP Renewal & ATPL Training

obi-nu
4th May 2008, 11:53
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if i could get opinions/ advice on the following. My SEP rating is due for renewal in October (2 years up) and as i understand i need to do a minium of 12 hours, one hour with an instructor and 6 solo flying (or a concise 'mini' skills test to renew). I currently have about 70 hours total time but maybe only 20 solo if that. I'm going to start my ATPL Theory training in july or sept and then hopefully continue with my hour building, night rating, CPL an so on....

My question is this: Is it worth spending the time and money renewing my rating now or should i let it lapse and pick it up again post theory once i start my hour building phase? Cabair told me not to bother renewing now but im not sure i like the idea of letting it lapse. Plus would it be alot of extra work to re-instate it? I havent flown since last May either...

This is also why i am not sure when to start my theory as i may need the time over the summer to complete the 12 hours??

Help!:eek:

obi-nu
6th May 2008, 19:02
Anyone??!! :uhoh:

Co-An
7th May 2008, 09:04
I'm in a similar position. I'm looking to take the first set of ATPL exams soon(ish) and my PPL is up for renewal. I hadn't flown for quite some time but after a bit of a refresher and the check ride I'm now off to build up 12 solo hours. It all counts. My studying was flagging a bit but now that I'm flying again it's stepped up a gear.
Don't forget your medical! Mine was due up and had I realised then I would have gone for a Class I ahead of time. As it was I renewed my Class II in order to keep flying in the short term and that money could have gone towards a trip to Gatwick.
If I'm honest, the thought of not renewing my licence would have been a real step backwards and flying professionally would be that much further away. Get the hours, enjoy having a valid licence and stay current.