PDA

View Full Version : David Cameron leaps from A109...

AussieAndy
3rd May 2008, 19:33
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1122247.ece

My apologies for utilising The Sun as the source for this article however, I cannot find it elsewhere...

Has anyone any news on this, apparently the landing gear failed.

AircraftOperations
3rd May 2008, 20:35
Certainly the earlier models keep the engineers very busy.

Anyone got a reg for Cameron's machine?

Presume it was Rotormotion if Amadeus was driving.

rapman
4th May 2008, 02:34
Is this machine equipped with an emergency blow down bottle?

cptjim
4th May 2008, 05:26
Appears to be G-ELTE..... http://www.rotormotion.com/fleet.htm

chuks
4th May 2008, 06:35
Is this the same David Cameron I knew from Bristow Helicopters Lagos Nigeria Ltd? If so, "Hi-ya, Dave!"

Or are there two David Camerons? I think we should be told.

Fareastdriver
4th May 2008, 07:19
chuks
I don't think that the David Cameron you and I know is gagging to be the next British Prime minister.
Might be a good idea though.

212man
4th May 2008, 08:24
Might be a good idea though

I think he's too busy finishing off his pool decking to run a country, at the moment. Besides, he's got OPCs to do!

helimutt
4th May 2008, 09:20
heard a rumour the handle came off in the pilots hand!! :eek:
That Mr Amadeus has some lucky escapes. :D

Many thanks has to be said to Redhill ATC for the support during the incident. :=:oh:

dunnarunna
4th May 2008, 09:40
Did he get a CAA Exemption for "Dropping Articles from an Aircraft"?

helimutt
4th May 2008, 09:43
Is it ok to call DC an article? ;)

scooter boy
4th May 2008, 11:07
I heard it was the newly applied tory blue paint job that made the gear doors stick!:ok: They should have left it labour red.

Now if DC had done his post-local-council-election-unexpected-landslide-vistory-gloating-tour on his bicycle all he would have got would have been blisters on his feet, a sore backside and a word in his ear from the old bill for reckless pedalling.

Might have taken him a while longer though.

Great that they didn't break the helicopter - it looks unmarked!

SB

helimutt
4th May 2008, 11:27
sources close to this incident say all turned out exceptionally well due to the quick response of the engineers. They had to be quick as he wasn't going to be allowed to refuel!
Could have turned out badly if he'd run out of fuel but instead it was a happy ending.

212man
4th May 2008, 11:43
They had to be quick as he wasn't going to be allowed to refuel!

I don't imagine the Redhill refuelers are exactly HIFR current!

There has to be a 'call' somewhere along the line - twisted wreckage in the middle of the field with a single possible casualty, or twisted wreckage combined with fuel truck and 3-4 possible casualties.

Droopy
4th May 2008, 12:59
Wasn't there an incident some years ago where a 206 was refuelled in the hover [at Blackpool?] while wire-damaged skids were replaced?

212man
4th May 2008, 13:05
Not sure - I was applying the CDF principle ;)

topendtorque
4th May 2008, 13:27
Not sure - I was applying the CDF principle ;)

which sounds suspiciously like an implication issue, IS THERE SOMETHINGK ELSE THAT YOU VOULD LIKE TO TELL US?????

212man
4th May 2008, 13:40
No, I was tending to agree with the decision not to refuel, then implicitely agreeing with the logical and effective response of the groundcrew and the pilot involved. At some point, you have to accept there is not a 'get out of jail free' card and the team involved dealt with that card admirably it would seem.

Two's in
4th May 2008, 15:58
Helicopter owner Henry Lawson, 46, said: "There was no mayday call, no one was panicking."

Well, other than the Sun copy editor who was desperately wondering what to fill his rag with until this came along...

choppertop
4th May 2008, 22:15
Well, other than the Sun copy editor

Copy editor? I don't think a copy editor would be making the call. It's that persistent lack of accuracy when helicopter pilots try to speak with authority about journalism that really should be curtailed. Maddening!

Doc Cameron
5th May 2008, 15:01
Choppertop... Nicely funny twist on the normal perspective.

Chucks... If such a calamity had befallen me, I would hope that the headline would have read something like: "David Cameron stepped gracefully from the burning, twisted wreckage; a steely glint in his eye and his dignity intact". 'Leaps', sounds like one really should have a parachute to hand.

Fareastdriver... Thank you for your confidence, I am counting upon your vote (just as long as I'm not required to kiss any babies).

212... I've already completed my quota of two whole OPC's this year! Any additional checks will entitle me to 0.001% of Mr Shell's 1st quarter profit?

Cheers,
Doc

212man
5th May 2008, 15:06
I've already completed my quota of two whole OPC's this year! Any additional checks will entitle me to 0.001% of Mr Shell's 1st quarter profit

You've already had it - it's your Shell salary :E

ppheli
5th May 2008, 17:43
Wasn't there an incident some years ago where a 206 was refuelled in the hover [at Blackpool?] while wire-damaged skids were replaced?

This rings a bell from a photo in Fright International at the time. Think it was G-FSCL which was spraying in Yorkshire when it managed to snag the skids and damage them - so flew to its maintenance base at Blackpool for another set of skids to be fitted "in the hover" including a refuel to ensure it was still in the air all the time the engineers were working. And that helicopter was registered Jan-85 to Dec-87.....

Droopy
5th May 2008, 19:57
Pilot was AR?