PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Honeymoon Secret Ever?

Xeque
3rd May 2008, 06:43
I really don't know what to make of this. It comes from The Cargo Letter and it's (I'm told) repeated at http://www.northropgrumman.com/kc45/ but I haven't located the direct reference yet.

***Biggest Honeymoon Secret Ever? ....... as starting in Sept. newlyweds can start their dream trip on a Royal Air Force mid-air refueling plane, and the chances are they will be blissfully unaware of their luck. Britain's military is leasing a fleet of aerial tankers from a private consortium led by Airbus parent EADS in a landmark outsourcing deal. The converted A330 passenger jets can carry 60 tons of fuel to refuel up to 4 fighters or else serve as transporters carrying 300 troops & their equipment. Officials involved in the project say some of the jets will also double as charter planes for tourists to earn their keep whenever they are not needed to serve the front line. Because new jetliners are more efficient than the decades-old VC-10s & Tristars they replace, there will be enough space for fuel for refueling in the aircraft's main tanks as well as a fully fitted cabin interior for passengers. With a plain livery, most passengers should be unaware their ordinary looking charter jet may have seen action over Afghanistan or Iraq on -- hopefully -- separate missions. The long-range, wide-body A330-200 model on which the tankers are based has a maximum range of 12,500 km or 6,750 nautical miles. With one of its ordinary airline users, it flies daily from France to holiday & honeymoon destinations in the Caribbean.

Can anyone throw any light upon this odd story? It is well past April 1st isn't it?

enicalyth
3rd May 2008, 07:05
Just a journo letting the pen run wild. Stripped of the purple prose it simply means that the UK consortium that won the tanker/transport contract will provide a certain number of A330-200 aircraft for full-time service and have others available within a specified call-up period. These latter aircraft have to earn their keep. The A330-200 can take a maximum uplift of 110 tonnes in the wing and have no need of extra in-cabin tanks. So yup, if the aircraft is in a plain unassuming livery you would not know it was a "tanker". One lucky stroke for Airbus is that the wing is hardened to be virtually the same for both A330 and A340 variants and I think, but don't quote me, that this simplifies fitting wing mounted refuelling drogues. Aircraft that conform to the USAF pattern expect flying boom refuelling; RAF/RN/USN aircraft broadly speaking expect hose and drogue either three point with a central hose drum or two point wing only. Thus the revenue earners will be two-pointers with the wing drogue units stored in a lock-up garage near Vauxhall Bridge between the motor bike garage and the kebab shop. If you prise the doors apart slightly you'll also see the entire inventory of RAF Strike Command on wooden blocks. Okay, I lied about the last bit, the lock-up is next door to Waterloo.

green granite
3rd May 2008, 07:12
I'm glad they didn't say which September It's unlikely to start before 2013.

Thread in Mil forum http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=320604