PDA

View Full Version : USA taking a step closer to the UK!

SASless
2nd May 2008, 14:37
For ages I have said the only difference between the bureaucacy in the USA and the UK is about four hundred years.....but it appears we are catching up at the quick step.

States are now looking to yachts, airplanes, and Motor Coach RV's as a new source of revenue.

The link takes you to an article that discusses this new concept of taxing.

An example....take your Cirrus Airplane to the state of Maine for a three week holiday....or any number of trips that approximate that number of days and get a whopping 17,000 USD tax bill....and interest on the unpaid amount and penalty for another 8,000 USD.

http://www.nysun.com/news/states-aim-tax-private-jets-yachts

Overdrive
2nd May 2008, 17:05
For ages I have said the only difference between the bureaucacy in the USA and the UK is about four hundred years.....but it appears we are catching up at the quick step.

SASless, afraid I've seen this progressing in the 'states when over there, and get regular updates from friends. I can see all the signs ("educating" you into the rising gas/petrol price thing was a big step).

Now we know what Bush & Blair used to discuss when they met! Some of the political "language" is even showing parallels. This is what will continue to happen to countries whose industrial base is declining: the whole thing is turned into one big service industry, with every activity requiring permits or licences with an attendant cost for basically nothing tangible (with that horrible twee little word, "fee").

In the UK, about the only things I can still do now for free are f*ck and f*rt, but that will change soon (luckily, my c*ck is trim and my a*se is tight). I suggest you buy a comfortable chair and a big box of slippers for throwing at the TV when you watch the news: you're gonna need them!

But hey, don't let me depress you ;)

kevin_mayes
2nd May 2008, 19:33
Well said -being one who works in the "manufacturing" side, I can see whats really happening to the UK, we are turning into a "service" based economy, how long can that last I wonder?

jolly girl
2nd May 2008, 19:48
As one who grew up on a farm...
;-)

ShyTorque
2nd May 2008, 20:15
USA taking a step closer to the UK!

Before you know it you'll have McDonald's burger joints on every street corner..... ;)

and gas at $10 a gallon.... :E

You've already got Tony Blair; how about taking Gordon Brown off our hands? He's marginally better looking than Hilary....and he's going to be looking for a new job very soon. :ok:

Ken Wells
2nd May 2008, 23:55
In 1887 Wilde wrote: `We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language'

Plagiarised by Shaw in 1951 to:

"Two nations separated by a common language"

We tend to follow each other in trends not all good.
* We are nearly as obese as Americans
* Black on Black gun crime fuelled by intellectually challenged American "Gangster Crap" (not a spelling mistake) is at an all time high.
* Security guards in Schools. Good and Bad TV.
* USA gave us crap like Darma and Greg but we got are own back by giving them crap like The Office and X Factor trash.

* But they also gave us CSI and Family Guy both Brilliant shows.

What goes around comes around. I like the states; lucky to have worked on the East Coast and New York, poles apart in everything.
All in all the Yanks tend to me more polite and their attitude to GA refreshing compared to Europe.

And I wish we had NYPD on the streets of London rather than The Bill.

inmate
12th May 2008, 03:58
What about Dixon of Dock Green, has he passed on? But you did give us Izzy, UK trend these days chaps?

Oh and lets not forget Billy Bunter and Six Five Special, ah the days of my youth in the old sod.