PDA

View Full Version : B1900 Crash

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 12:29
Does anybody have any updates on the reporting of a B1900 accident in Sudan ?.

ARENDIII
2nd May 2008, 12:38
Hi,
Just heard from a Safair C-130 crew returning from Wau that a 1900 down at Rumbek in Sudan. Initial reports 21 on board, heaven hopes we are wrong but sounds like 21 casualties.
Our thoughts are with all those people who have been affected by this tragedy.
ArendIII.

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 12:45
Thanks ARENDIII .. another sad day for Sudan aviation. Fingers crossed

Flyer14
2nd May 2008, 12:53
Anyone know who's the operator? Was it a ZS?

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 12:57
At this point I understand it was not South African registered

ARENDIII
2nd May 2008, 13:30
Possibly Kenyan.

UN-Coordinated
2nd May 2008, 13:53
B-1900 C operated by Flex Air as South Sudan Connection departed HSWW at 07:47 Z.
2 + 19 on board, 3 hrs fuel endurance

Issued May Day at 08:01 Z and crashed approx 15 mins later.

UN co-ordinated a SAR with helis out of HSWW and HSMK and located crash site at approx 09:51 Z

No survivors.

Bad WX at HSMK may have been a factor as A/C was known to be trying to get in there.

Sudan Minister on board + his entourage (mainly military personnel).

BUSHJEPPY
2nd May 2008, 13:58
May be an act of war, Bhar El Ghazal is blowing up again

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 14:07
Very sorry to hear of the loss of the two crew and their pax. Wx has been tricky here lately and perhaps a factor. Understand it was the Min of Defence but I would be suprised if an act of war and feel that speculation might be inapproriate right now. Lets hear what the UN guys on site have to report.

Fly safe

CM

UN-Coordinated
2nd May 2008, 14:12
If the timings are correct the A/C was only 15 mins out of HSWW.

At the time HSWW WX was good though there was cloud cover.

Why did they not just return to HSWW ? At least it would have been a better option for them than HSMK, and maybe would have had a better ending.

Pressures of a VIP charter maybe ?

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 14:19
There were some very important people on thsi flight but SPLA are fairly good travellers and understand aviation safety so would be suprised if they applied pressure on the crew.

BREAKING NEWS-SPLA minister killed in plane crash in South Sudan
Friday 2 May 2008 14:43

May 2, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) Affairs Minister Dominic Dim Deng and other 19 military officials have been killed as result of a plane crash between Wau and Juba, the Sudan Television reported today.

Justin Yak, GoSS Presidential Security Adviser was among the officials killed in the plane crash.

Coleman Myers
2nd May 2008, 14:36
South Sudan
Friday 2 May 2008 14:43

May 2, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) Affairs Minister Dominic Dim Deng and other 19 military officials have been killed as result of a plane crash between Wau and Juba, the Sudan Television reported today.

Dominic Dim Deng (ST) Justin Yak, GoSS Presidential Security Adviser was among the officials killed in the plane crash.

Vice President of the Government of South Sudan, Riak Machar told SUNA that the Minister of SPLA Affairs, Dominic Dim Deng and 23 people, including 19 officers died today, Friday, in the crash of the plane that was travelling from Wau to Juba.

Machar added that the plane crashed Friday afternoon in Gogrial area, about 375 kilometres west of Juba.

He also ruled out that the plane was "downed by some one or crashed as result of any conspiracy." He further said that "the plane which was rented from one airline was carrying a delegation of SPLM leadership from Wau to the city of Juba, after attending a meeting of the SPLM."

He indicated that an investigation will be conducted to determine the cause of the crash.

The crashed plane belongs to Southern Sudan Air Connection Company.

(ST)

Carrier
2nd May 2008, 14:54
Quote: "........Dominic Dim Deng and 23 people,....."

Is a B1900 able to legally take 24 people? I have flown in numerous B1900s in different continents and the most any have taken is 21 - two crew and 19 pax.

Contract Dog
2nd May 2008, 16:22
UN C, how are you mate? where were they planning on going with 3 hrs Fuel? In a C and 3 hrs, the only options would be Juba or Rumbek. Where did they log next destination as in the green book in the terminal?

My condolences to all involved. To the crew in Sudan, wx is EVIL at the moment and earlier in the year than expected, keep it safe.

Dog

VortexGen300
2nd May 2008, 16:23
Hi Carrier

Is a B1900 able to legally take 24 people? I have flown in numerous B1900s in different continents and the most any have taken is 21 - two crew and 19 pax.

You are probably 100% right if you were to follow the POH and the rest of the documentation like W&B etc . . .

But from experience in Africa - that was probably only the recommendation in the eyes of the people - it was probably deemed safe to add a pax sitting on a cooler box or suitcase.

In Africa certification to a certain number of seats is nearly always deemed a recommended number - if there is space - Hey they can probably fit in?

The other option was probably the fact that the reports could be a bit distorted - like reporters jumping to confusion - and drawing conclusions from anything but facts!

Stirred?
VG300

Contract Dog
2nd May 2008, 16:31
The journos in KRT dont report the facts so I seriously doubt there were 24 pax on board. There is not space in a C. And ias UN C said, it flew for 15 min at least before the MAYDAY, so W&B is unlikely to be the cause.

Dog

curiousgeorge
2nd May 2008, 16:33
Sincerest condolences to all those affected by this sad and tragic event. My thoughts are with the friends, families and co-workers of the crew and passengers in the difficult time ahead.

gallo
2nd May 2008, 17:33
I tried to find Flex Air on the net...
What is this company like? (aircraft, contracts, etc.)

Another terrible day in aviation,

Something must be done in Sudan. Too many crashes, too many lives lost.

emil011
2nd May 2008, 17:57
some info on the company can be found here

http://www.flexaircargo.co.ke/index.php

Emil

ARENDIII
2nd May 2008, 23:39
People,
Please can we just "allow the dust to settle" before we start making any judgements.
At this stage I feel that we would be better served as an aviation community to reflect on this tragedy and give those who have been so terribly affected time to come to terms with their grief.
This is the least that we can offer them.
Please fly safely.
ArendIII.

cjam
3rd May 2008, 00:02
You can quite legally have 24 people on a 1900 as long as three of them are infants sitting on someones lap with the appropriate lap strap. I'm not saying this is the case, just a possibility, however I do think it much more likely that the reporters got the wrong number, it would be unusual if they didn't.

UN-Coordinated
3rd May 2008, 05:56
C Dog,

Am fine thanks.

In the book they showed a routing HSSJ-HSWW-HSSJ. Zero Pax in and "TBA" pax out. Tower confirmed 19+2

They did not uplift any fuel in HSWW

After the initial inspection of the crash site by SAR team, they requested 21 body bags, so I guess that should put the number on board arguement to rest, at least for the time being.

SKIIPER
3rd May 2008, 12:45
Hi guys,
I was flying around there with a van at time if the accident,they lost one engine at about 16000ft,they descended and guess what in about a minute the other engine was wind milling,they just had double engine failure,heavy rain and thunderstorm around there at that tym.they said they could not maintain altitude and have to put it down,within seconds may day call and something like stall warner was sounding.may bad fuel in sudan.
RIP

Coleman Myers
3rd May 2008, 13:01
Double engine failiure or possibly shut the live motor down in error. Not sure how those things glide fully loaded. A King Air will.Fuel could be investigated. Just heard from an EBB that they actually uplifted 1500ltrs of "ghost" fuel in Juba two months ago. Got airborne, saw the guages come live and show exactly as they were on touchdown into Juba !. Bowser with faulty pumps etc. ?. All sorts of possiblities and much to be learnt.

V1... Ooops
3rd May 2008, 15:31
Latest BBC News report: Engine fault 'caused Sudan crash' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7381642.stm)

Muaskid
8th May 2008, 06:53
Can anyone confirm exactly which aircraft was involved ? 5Y-FLX has been quoted up to now but I see the NTSB are now talking about
5Y-FLE ?

Istorik
8th May 2008, 08:36
There are two possibilities:
1. NTSB provides an incorrect information about the registration (most probable IMHO)
2. Flex Air has just acquired the new aircraft (which became 5Y-FLE)

9-er
9th May 2008, 10:32
it was actually 5Y-FLX.

GunnerB
10th May 2008, 16:49
For those ex Rossair guys and girls it was ex 5Y-ROS, she was reregistered after been sold at an auction sale after the demise of Rossair.

Sir Osis of the river
10th May 2008, 17:59
Any Idea if it was ex Rossair crew flying her?

KP Niner
11th May 2008, 12:48
OH Ngosh.... No it was not ex Ross Air crew.

Fork Handles
12th May 2008, 14:58
Coleman,
Whats a guage. Is that the south african version of a gauge. just like the altp instead of atpl.:ok:

Sir Osis of the river
12th May 2008, 15:29
Fork Handel,

Not sure about the GUAGE, but ALTP is spot in. My original still says ALTP.

Air Line Transport Pilot. ( Dont shoot the messenger, I did not name it.)

Sir O

rigs
13th May 2008, 07:03
the crew was all kenyan. i actually knew the F.O. young chap. its a sad day for us all.

"SOROTI TOWER THIS 5X-UWD"

Coleman Myers
13th May 2008, 14:35
Its an ATPL and an MBA from an Ivy League school but still can't shake the dyslexia ..

Blue Jay
13th May 2008, 20:33
Deepest sympathy to all concerned.
The weather that day, area was bad indeed. May their memories soar forever.

Coleman Myers
15th May 2008, 20:38
Blue Jay - interesting to get more confirmation the Wx was off that day. We forget just how merciful it is most of the time. Almost a year to the day after KQ in Douala drew so much weather related speculation it makes you sit up and think ..

ex dog
28th May 2008, 23:30
Coleman, weather that day was terrible i left Juba on Dash -8 to Rumbek ,
only to find visibility down to next to nothing ,heavy rain , strong winds attempted to land ,no chance went back to Juba , you are probably aware you cannot predict the weather in Africa ,one minute its clear blue skies the next Horrendous Storms ,

Unfortunatley the aircraft which went down was operated by Flex ,carrying Government officials and Chartered , case being no manifest and probably overloaded ??????????????

but we will never find out the real outcome

V1... Ooops
1st Jul 2008, 10:14
Was this aircraft (5Y-FLX) owned by Cemair of South Africa and leased to Flex in Kenya?

kunjur
31st Oct 2008, 17:01
this is the same aircraft formerly Cemair and lease to Flex Air Cargo of Kenya..