PDA

View Full Version : Building your own helicopter EXEC 162

patatas
2nd May 2008, 12:20
Hello guys,
I am sure you guys heard about the Exec 162 which it is sold to you in boxes for you to build it yourself....

Has anybody seen any of those being build? Has anybody tried any of these helicopters?

Check video below:
http://www.rotorway.co.uk/

P.

Gaseous
2nd May 2008, 13:18
Check out the hull insurance cost before you go any further:eek: Tis a bit steep in the UK.

Bravo73
2nd May 2008, 13:27
jellycopter is your man. IIRC, he is (or was) one of the few UK examiners who is qualified on type.

HTH

500e
2nd May 2008, 13:29
http://www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=Exec

Try these links and check accident databases:(

212man
2nd May 2008, 14:22
Try a PM to stacey s - he built one, on behalf of an owner, a few years ago.

stacey_s
2nd May 2008, 15:06
yes I did, shag, and its still cranking!

212man
2nd May 2008, 15:23
I don't imagine there are many around better built. Probably more reliable than an S-92!

mini
2nd May 2008, 22:35
So whats the argument vs R22?

On the surface its seems a decent machine.

Old Skool
3rd May 2008, 03:05
The Vet bloke off the telly, he built one, he did a TV series all about it, "a chopper is born" i think was the name of the show, i'm sure you could track it down, very interesting stuff

biggles99
3rd May 2008, 06:44
I've flown the Exec (with Jellycopter) and the R22.

try both if you are serious about buying a 2 seat helicopter.

My advice: if your passion is engineering and you like being in a workshop environment, then the Exec is ideal. If your passion is flying on a budget, then the R22 is ideal.

One way to get objective facts - for the UK- is to find out how many Execs have been registered, and how many are flying, and how many hours they fly.

Big Ls

nigel f
3rd May 2008, 08:00
A Chopper is Born, was on Discovery Turbo Last night

Nigel

jellycopter
3rd May 2008, 18:47
Biggles

You missed a chance to let the world know your favourite flying anecdote, or don't you need to to write it here because you've told that many people it's now folklore?

I've had better flying days........

JJ

biggles99
3rd May 2008, 22:00
hi JJ,

I felt that that would make me appear rather bias ..........

like i say, if you like making things, you can't beat a kit helicopter.

and i thoroughly enjoyed my flight - and the drive back!

Big Ls

muffin
4th May 2008, 08:20
I too flew one with Jellycopter a while back and was actually very impressed with it. I was looking to buy a "cheap" helicopter and the only thing that put me off in the end was the fact that they are quite time demanding to maintain and I just don't have much time. Plus the fact that my prospective share partner at the time was not that keen on a homebuilt. So in the end I joined the herd and bought an R22.

Whirlybird
4th May 2008, 08:30
I flew one for a flight test article for Today's Pilot a while back. I too really liked it - nice to fly, great fun, and more spacious than the R22. But underpowered (even compared to the R22), and no governor...which is not a big deal really but is a point worth considering. And an owner I talked to said you really do have to enjoy the maintenance as much as the flying. :(

patatas
4th May 2008, 13:02
I guess the R22 is the one to go for. Not that I am ready to buy it just yet but is good to hear about the Exec an how it goes.
The maitenance stuff is certainly a point to consider...
Thanks for the imput about the discovery... I found it really interesting.

biggles99
4th May 2008, 18:12
check out www.aerokopter.com - English version is easier for most of us.

13snoopy
5th May 2008, 06:09
I know of a chap who flew Rotorways for years and got tired of the breakdowns and autos to the ground (he had three).
He finally switched to Robbies.

nervouspassenger
5th May 2008, 10:00
Also there seems to be on-going issues surrounding the fracture/failure of the secondary drive shaft, leading to the scenario 13snoopy detailed. And whether to use the Rotorway smooth belts or Pro-Drive toothed ones. It's a shame because it's a very pretty aircraft and I, for sure, would consider one if it weren't for these issues.

But then you have to decide, do you buy a kit and build it yourself (and how much confidence do you have in your own ability) or do you buy a used one and put your life in the hands of someone else's building ability. It's definitely an aircraft for an engineer.