PDA

View Full Version : JAA approved schools in US

Kyriakos
1st May 2008, 20:13
Im about to enroll but i would like your expert opinion. Eventually im gonna work in Europe. Do the European airlines hire pilots who did their training in US (JAA training of course)? Or do they prefer to "shop" graduates from European schools?

I would also appreciate opinions of those who did their JAA training in US, how easy was it for you guys to get a job back in Europe? Was the the whole conversion procedure worth it?

Anyone gratuaded from OFT?

IRISHPILOT
1st May 2008, 20:31
lot of questions.

As you are in the US anyway, you may want to do the courses there as much as possible, saving you accommodation and traveling.

Large European airlines generally train their ab-initio pilots abroad, usually in the US, so not only do they accept this, they encourage it. Once you start working, you will fly beyond Europe anyway, so why not do it during training?

During none of my interviews was I asked why I trained and worked in so many countries, but some airlines want the opposite, want you to show them in how many continents / areas of the world you have operated, and I can tick all of them. Generally a good thing.

Generally, people do an FAA PPL (some do a JAA PPL for sentimental reasons), then JAA ATPL theory, then JAA CPL. You do not need a night qualification (part of the FAA PPL) and if you want a UK JAA licence, you need an RT licence. At no point is any conversion of any kind needed.

After this, you can do the IR training in the US or anywhere else, but have to do the test in JAA land airspace (though some CAAs are lax on this). Again, NO conversion needed.

Hope this helps, lots more info on here... cheers IP

Kyriakos
2nd May 2008, 00:44
Ok that covers it, thanks a lot!
Flying means everything to me and i want to take the right steps. Its also expensive, im getting a loan so im trying to limit down the risk.

Dreamshiner
2nd May 2008, 02:03
I know a school who's owner is both FAA and CAA ATPL holder and also holds all flight instructor qualifications. Plus most training is now done in glass cockpit Diamonds, nowhere near the Hurricane Alley that is Florida and he's a nice bloke too. Angel City Flyers.

Also consider a Greek flight school which advertises on here, don't know much about it but seems cost effective and appears to be in a nice part of the world in decent aircraft. It is by no means an endorsement, I have never went there or know anyone who has but worth researching.

I'd echo IrishPilot's sentiments, the only people you'll find who look down on the FAA system are FSX nerds, and a few idiots you find at every British flying club (generally with 100 hours or so but know everything there is to know about everything since .... ever) and the odd 45 year old jetjockey who had his training paid for him back in the 80's, very cushty.

Actually I think it should be applauded as it shows a certain degree of business acumen not to pay through the nose, expand your horizons while becoming more well travelled and independent.

portsharbourflyer
2nd May 2008, 07:54
If you are going to train in the US do FAA ratings and then convert back to JAA in the UK or some other European country.

Most Schools in the US offering JAA approved training will charge a premium for the JAA training compared to the equivalent FAA ratings.

Yes there are schools offering this 35 hours of the IR training in the US, with the last 15 hours completed in the UK. Quite often the US portion of this JAA course will cost more than an FAA ME/IR.

Besides it is quite useful to hold both FAA and JAA ratings due to the fact it is possible to get work on N registered aircraft based in the UK.

Kyriakos
2nd May 2008, 09:57
Thanx for your feedback guys...
I ve just taken my decision and registered at OFT.

I ve been searching for months and i believe that schools offers what i want. They do ATPL ground school at their campus and that will save me some cash. After that I ll do the JAA IR conversion with Canair in Granfield UK.(hows that place btw?:) )

Dreamshiner, i was born in Greece and the truth is that we have some top-class air-force pilots but i dont wanna do my training there...i know how Greek systems works...too many strikes and life's gettin quite expensive. It is the most beautiful part of the world though:)

MartinCh
2nd May 2008, 11:00
with Canair in Granfield UK.(hows that place btw? )

Pretty 'un'-intended joke. Can-air? :-P What about Garfield, UK? Didn't you mean that? No, I'm just trying too hard. Cabair at Cranfield presume.

I'm soon-to-be rotorhead PPL trainee. Training in the UK or Europe is not an option for me. Not in a (insert your guess) years! FAA 'would do' for the coming years.

Unfortunately, thanks to changes few years ago, there are to be no more J1 issuing flight schools in the US, as well as very limited (2) number of rotary FTOs. of which one (1) JAA.

Either way, you're better off. Do what you want, but guys here are right. JAA FW training in the US, and Florida especially, has premiums charged for it.
Plus you don't bother with any visas as you're LPR or citizen anyway..