PDA

View Full Version : Operational restrictions Schiphol on Sunday (04-05-2008)

CEJM
1st May 2008, 14:01
On Sunday (04-05-2008) 20.00lt, The Kingdom of the Netherlands remembers it's fallen soldiers and civilians since the start of the Second World War.

As part of this there will be two minutes of silence throughout the country.

Schiphol Amsterdam Airport has decided to honour the request for two minutes silence with the following operational restrictions:

-Between 19:50LT and 20:03LT no flights will be departing Schiphol.
-Last arrivals have to be in before 20:00LT, otherwise send to a hold till 20:03LT
-Pilots are requested not to ask for start-up and/or taxi during the two minutes of silence.

-In the terminal pax and staff are requested to observe the two minutes silence.

According the news all Dutch airports will have operational restrictions however it doesn't mention any details for other airports. But expect something similar to Schiphol.

In addition to Schiphol, the Dutch railways have decided to halt all train traffic for two minutes starting at 20:00LT

Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=25745 (Dutch link)

Hand Solo
1st May 2008, 15:01
What is the significance of the chosen date and time? Just curious.

Pax Vobiscum
1st May 2008, 15:07
Germany surrendered 7th May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.

CEJM
1st May 2008, 15:09
Hand Solo,

I can not help you with regards to the time but I think because that is a time that most people are finished with work.

Immediatly after the end of the Second World War people came together to remember our fallen comrades, coincidently the date was the 4th of May. On the 5th of May Germany surrendered, hence that we keep these two days together. One to remember and one to celebrate.

fox niner
1st May 2008, 15:17
victims of the war are remembered on the 4th of may.This was the last day of the war, since German capitulation was on the 5th.
Also, on the 4th of may at 2000LT there is an official wreath-laying in amsterdam by HM the Queen, including the same 2 minutes of silence.

Has been like this for ages ever since WW2.

Otterman
1st May 2008, 15:18
Happens every year. It is meant as a moment of reflection for all the people who died during WW2. In recent years it has been updated to reflect all war victims worldwide, but its original inception was because of WW2. May 5 is our liberations day, and brings with it even to this day a deep thankfulness to the allied troops who ended our occupation.

If you are in motion between those times, you will be told to stop, and you won’t be allowed to move until 20:03. I have been in this situation only once in many years, but it is was profound moment, after the onboard announcement to the passengers, and their reaction to it.

Hope this clears it up.

Greetings O.

Hand Solo
1st May 2008, 15:32
Many thanks for the info.

CEJM
1st May 2008, 15:34
For any crew staying in Amsterdam it would be worthwhile to go to the city centre. More precisely go to De Dam, that is were the Queen will be to lay flowers at the National monument for war casualties.

On average 15.000 people will come to De Dam to see our Queen and remember our fallen comrades. It is a very impressive sight. If you don't want to go into town than I am sure you can follow it on national television.

merlinxx
1st May 2008, 17:17
Can someone plse direct me to the Dutch National TV site, I've trawled, but no joy. Thanks all.

CaptW5
1st May 2008, 18:23
http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/voorpagina/index.html

AsI couldn't find an english language page there, I added this radio link:

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/

Alpine Flyer
2nd May 2008, 08:35
As "alive round the clock" our world may be, it does not hurt to stop once in a while to remember.

A minute of silence in an ever-moving business like aviation is a particularly strong signal and very emotionally moving.

I remember a minute of silence called for by ATC after the controller on duty during the Überlingen crash was stabbed by a victim's family member.

Stop Stop Stop
2nd May 2008, 12:21
I was flying into Schiphol last year at this exact time. The situation was dealt with excellently by AMS ATC. As we were inbound, we were told to increase our speed as we would be the last to land. On approach at about a minute to the silent period, we were cleared to land and given instructions to stop on the runway- not vacate and make no radio calls until we were spoken to.

ATC then made a general broadcast to all aircraft and vehicles to hold position wherever they were and maintain radio silence.

We landed, stopped on the Kaagbaan and remained silent for two minutes. It was incredible to see no movement at Schiphol at all and no radio transmissions. All other aircraft were in the various holds, separated by altitude and there was no RT on these frequencies either. The passenger response was amazing and all nationalities on board remained silent out of respect.

All in all, extremely well done and UK airports and en route ATC could take a leaf out of their book- I have been flying on Rememberance Sunday and ATC just couldn't shut up for two minutes! It must be possible! And in Amsterdam, it IS!