PDA

View Full Version : Formation flight - Denham area

oversteer
1st May 2008, 13:01
Just watched a group of about 10 aircraft fly past in a very tight group - overflew Denham and headed off to the west. About 1330.

Didn't get a chance to make out what they were. WWII-fighter shape, light colours.

Any idea on the occasion? Never seen that many aircraft together, excepting the Red Arrows of course!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st May 2008, 13:57
There's a snap on the SBS forum here:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6706

Guess they're heading for an air show somewhere..?

oversteer
1st May 2008, 14:33
Thanks HD, that was them. Not all WWII then!

Must take some guts flying like that - do they just "follow the lead"? Are there any restrictions on formation flying?

poss
1st May 2008, 14:54
From what I know the only restrictions, appart from usual aviation laws, are that you have the other PIC's permission to fly in formation with him/her. A nice lot of aircraft in that photo! I'm sure i've seen that white and blue extra at the back before.

LGS6753
1st May 2008, 15:07
Seen passing south of Luton Airport at approx 1355.
There were 12 aircraft, mainly (if not all) YAKs. People I was with suggested they were heading towards Panshangar, but more likely out of North Weald. Apparently a formation flying training exercise, similar to one run last year.

G-APDK
2nd May 2008, 12:12
It has been Formation Training week at North Weald all this week, something which is run there twice a year. If anyone else is interested the next one is due at the end of September. Details available from The Squadron.