PDA

View Full Version : OZ chopper safari?

topendtorque
30th Apr 2008, 22:15
ABC "country Hour" news story as below. where from, where to etc? sounds like a good news story for a change.

Chopper safari reaches the Alice

By Emma Haskin
Wednesday, 30/04/2008
If you're in Central australia you may have noticed a skyful of steel birds, complete with red noses, moving through the air like giant and very noisy dragon flies.

They're choppers and there's about 40 of them moving through the Central Australian airspace right now, raising money for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and taking a look at the magnificent countryside at the same time.

The pilots have come from all over Australia in three main groups; one from the Whitsunday's, one from Victoria and another one from the Goldcoast, and they're all in for a trip of a lifetime according to pilot Steve Roberts from Noosa.

"We've been having a wonderful look around the countryside, checking out a large number of camels between here and Andado Station and when you can travel out there at fairly low altitude and get a really close view...beautiful viewing."

From Alice Springs the plan for the pilots is to fly over the simpson desert and then on to Coober Pedy.

So keeps your eyes to the skies.
In this report: Steve Roberts, Noosa chopper pilot.

John Eacott
30th Apr 2008, 22:27
ABC Mildura Swan Hill: (http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2008/04/29/2230378.htm?site=milduraswanhill) link to video report :ok:

Elan Head
1st May 2008, 04:11
I'm on the safari right now – I came up with the Melbourne group. We spent Monday night in Broken Hill, Tuesday night in Birdsville, got to Ayers Rock last night. This morning we did the big Uluru 'apocalypse'... very cool to see 40 helicopters flying in company. It went remarkably well – Helibiz has done a great job of organising the trip. When I get a chance I'll put a write-up and some pics on the HeliNews website.

rotaryman
1st May 2008, 04:42
you can travel out there at fairly low altitude and get a really close view...beautiful viewing."

How low is fairly low ? :=

Good to see our fellow aviators doing their bit for SIDS a wonderful idea! Stay Safe.:D

Elan Head
1st May 2008, 05:43
500 feet AGL, of course!